• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best home defense firearm?

Which do you prefer?

• Shotgun

Votes: 31 77.5%
  • Rifle

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Handgun

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
i don't shoot to kill, i don't shoot to maim, i shoot until the clip is empty and let god decide :D

If the situation arises I would certainly shot to STOP the intruder(s)...

Well, shooting is the last resort.... I would run hide or do whatever before deciding to pull the triger,,, and if you have to pull the trigger then that means you are out of options and there is nothing alse left but to save your own ass...I that point I will shoot to preserve a life, and that life is mine. :!:

There is nothing like the sound of a shotgun being loaded to send chills down someones spine. It is my preferred home defense firearm at the moment although handguns certainly have their place. My mossberg 500 is the first line for me.

It really depends on what you feel most comfortable using and what you practice the most with. I like the shotgun for home defense but handguns certainly have their place. I have both :twisted: at home.

ultimate.. im fairly new to the whole gun thing but is there a smaller shotgun available with less of the whole kick back stuff? ;)

They make 20g shotguns which are a lot easier to shoot compared to a 12g when it comes with how much force they have. Mossberg has quite a few different options in that category. If you had a budget you wanted to stay within I could help pick one out for you.

E4x4Eric said:
Well, shooting is the last resort.... I would run hide or do whatever before deciding to pull the triger,,, and if you have to pull the trigger then that means you are out of options and there is nothing alse left but to save your own ass...I that point I will shoot to preserve a life, and that life is mine. :!:

Oh and :arrow: For home defense I'd use my Mossberg 500a pistol grip and have my Glock 27 ready to use JIC.. :cool:

Let's think about it, if you don't shoot to kill an intruder, then you leave that person around to tell their side of the story. Why would you want to let someone speak against you in a court situation while all you were trying to do is defend your property. You work hard for your money and possessions, protect them as such.

Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I'm a fan of the Judge revolver, with a mix of .410 and .45 inside. I also like my 930 by my bedside.

FOX3 said:
Let's think about it, if you don't shoot to kill an intruder, then you leave that person around to tell their side of the story. Why would you want to let someone speak against you in a court situation while all you were trying to do is defend your property. You work hard for your money and possessions, protect them as such.

Agreed. I've heard too many crazy stories about an intruder suing the homeowner and winning.

Home Defense Shotguns
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qAnaeNtTho&feature=related[/youtube]

Home Defense Weapon- Mossberg 590A1
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUZoCLLM_oo[/youtube]

Other than the fact that Mr. ANG looks like a complete and total tool I agree. My only caveat is go with the simplest light mounting device possible, not because of voided warranty, but because of the fact that it creates unwanted weight at the end of the gun. It also creates a snag point in the least opportunistic point of your weapon system.

I definetly think the SG for several reasons, 1st and foremost the amount of led down range and or on target in 1 volley or trigger pull is unmatched in anyother firearm excluding class III FA, 2nd it can be easliy manipulated and used by the novice shooter, 3rd their is really no need to aim at something specific for self defense...ie all you have to do is point the weapon in the general direction and more than likely there will be contact. I could go on and on but overall IMHO the Shotgun is the most versatile and lethal HD weapon avaliable to the general public.
As far as something good for the ladies or the not so stout men :lol: I'm thinking "The Taurus Judge" or "Defender". The recoil on those revolvers is moderate using standard .410 OOBuck and or Slug rounds and they are fairly light weight compared to a SG as well as having simular benefits due to the cartridge. Any weapon depending on the shooter that can deliver the most amount of led with the least amount of effort is the ideal Home Defense firearm choice. :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrxIpvZYjsM[/youtube]

hotshot said:
what do you guys recommend for best and quickest home defense for a woman

Hotshot, I would think a .410 would do nicely. Recoil is easily managed, and my 12 year old has her very own .410. She is about 8o lbs and 4' 7". For HD an 18" barrel and Mossbergs 12" LOP stock should work great. I'm so used to my 590A1, the .410 is a featherweight. Its super easy to handle, quick pointing and a very fun gun to shoot! There are plenty of load options available, from slugs, to buckshot. What ever you go with, remember, practice! Shooting makes for a better shooter, theres no substitue for practice and knowing how your firearm is going to feel when you pull the trigger.

AA12 said:
3rd their is really no need to aim at something specific for self defense...ie all you have to do is point the weapon in the general direction and more than likely there will be contact.

I strongly disagree with this statement.

Even a short barrel shotgun like the Serbu Super Shorty will @ HD ranges, 5 to 10 yards, produce patterns with 9 pellet 00 buckshot of about 8". More than 10 yards and pellets begin to stray, but we're talking like 1 or 2. A spray of lead that will "more than likely" make contact will only be more than likely putting a handful very small pellets on target. I wouldnt try to take a deer or even a coyote with bird shot, and I certainly wouldnt trust my life with it. Even bird shot can pattern tightly. Too tightly to not aim.
For example, my daughters .410 I mentioned, will pattern about 12" @ about 25 to 30 yards. This pic shows the shot pattern of 2 1/2 #6 bird shot @ 25 yards. This was the first time she ever pulled the trigger on this gun. She was so excited, she even made her own paper targets!

47448_1438746883745_1085205913_31044485_4374222_n.jpg

So you can see, theres still a pretty well formed column of lead, even at some range. At HD ranges, its going to be tighter. Just for comparrison, I put 9 rounds of 12 ga. 2 3/4" #6 bird shot through a 20" barrel at the same distance, all on target, and left a coffee can sized hole in her paper target.

Please dont take me to be disrespectful, forgive me if I am. But heres the thing, should you need to use force, your life, as well as others may depend on your aim. Also, check out this thread for further documentation;
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=238

Happy shootin my friend! :)

Brad.

Back