• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Addressing low light and no light conditions

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
So my on going project for my 590A1 18.5" barrel w/bead sight is to make it soley for home defense.

Had a mini scare around 2 am a few weeks ago which turned out to be nothing.

But I learned a lot from it. One - my access to my weapon is adequate. The weapon was obtained and ready to rock in probably 10 seconds or less. Two - you can't see diddly in the dark.

I couldn't see the bead an if there was a threat I couldn't identify it until I got to a light source. I understood now the tactical advantage of a light source on the weapon.

It's my busy season and as such I'm racking up some decent overtime so I had some extra cash on hand so I went on an information search on my best options.

Light source - I wanted something to place on the shotgun. In the end I wanted something integrated in the forend. I came across the eotech insight and the surefire weapons light. Debating back and forth and ended up getting the surefire one as I found a really good deal on one. Impression is very good. I like the fact that there's a pressure pad and a dedicated on off button. Weight isn't that bad and my fiancé can handle it no problem. Once I get a chance to hit the range ill give it the 200+ round challenge.

Glow bead - in low light conditions or if I'm in a position where I can identify the threat without giving my position away I need to be able to aim my shotgun. With the current bead I can not with confidence. At those distances shot doesn't spread that much and you don't want to use the spray and pray method. I had my heart set on the XS big dot but based on member reviews here it was going to be a pain to get it to fit since it seems XS caters to the Remmington line. Meprolight was recommended so it picked one up. Much cheaper and the threads (5/40) fit the thread of the 590A1. Installation was easier than I thought. Taking the bead out was stupid easy (needle nose pliers and moderate force). Top it all off I didn't scratch up the barrel taking it off as I thought I would. Meprolight states you may need to file down the threads and I did find that necessary. Not much but it did protrude a little bit. Another common complaint is that it doesn't line up straight. Kinda.... You need to force it a little bit to make it straight (enter the needle nose pliers and some gentle force).

Turned the light out and wow bead is glowing!!! Like always this is just initial impressions. We will see how these new additions hold out on the range. I run my shotguns hard and hot.

Pictures to come later on tonight. I typed this in the laundromat haha. Killin time at the mat.

Thanks for the info, WM. Mine has the light in the forend from the factory. Your post reassures me that I made the right decision in my purchase.
I think I will be adding the Meprolight soon.

Bill

I found the same things Water Monkey. I took the 590 for an unloaded walk outside on a moonless night and I couldn't even see the end of the barrel let alone aim it. I'm also planning on a Meprolight and will keep an eye on this thread for light info. too.

Ok Pics as promised:

Final HD shotgun project finished (for now) 5 shot 590A1 18.5" Barrel, 12" LOP Hogue Stock... I call her Kitty Kat (guess the movie):

8084557973_80c8c74947.jpg

Close up on the Surefire Weapons Light for Mossberg:

8084557289_e7ed1db779.jpg

Close up on the Meprolight bead (note its smaller in person... umm that's what she said :eek: )

8084554256_54052c337e.jpg

Here's one of the bead glowing in the dark (tritium gas insert):

8084553812_ee9df3f989.jpg

Lets see how the light and bead hold up to some good ol abuse. I'll keep you guys updated of any failures. If she passes the test I'll probably do a video on it.

I like the all dark shot with the glowing bead. You could tell people it's a UFO. Thanks for posting the pictures. ;)

I'm glad the bump in the night was nothing.

But if it was bad enough to alarm you, we all know it could've ended a lot worse than it did.

And onto the subject of darkness, I have been telling people for years that any weapon they even think may be used to defend/protect themselves with, should be set up accordingly, as you luckily found out ahead of time and I am even more greatful, not the hard way the other night.

There are a lot of people who think they're something they are not when it comes to night shooting. As carbinemike has pointed out, humans do not come with night vision from the factory LOL

I am also glad to hear of the meprolight. I've had one on order and is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I appreciate the honest assessment and pictures and am looking forward to installing mine, although will not be as easy as your swap. Mine will require drilling and tapping, but hopefully won't be a problem.

I think you have your scattergun set up as good as anyone can. You addressed all the shortcomings you experienced to make it better, and nailed it in the process.

Nice work man! I always enjoy the way you identify and adress issues you encounter and summarily share them with us here!

I've been usin the Meprolight for quite a while and have fired just about everything; bird/target, low recoil/ full power 00 and slugs and even 3" magnum loads. Never a problem! Its been on my A1 for over a year now! ;)

So how does that Meprolight work? If you got up in the middle of the night do you have to turn on a light to make it glow?
I can't see anything with my sights at night as well. Can't wait unit I cam get a light.

Good wright up.

Meprolight sights use tritium (a radioactive hydrogen isotope) for illumination. Electrons emitted from its natural decay produce a glow that can be seen in the dark...

No, night sights generally have a slightly radioactive gas called tritium in them.

The sights are enclosed so the tritium doesn't leak out and is considered safe unless the sight itself is busted.

However, they also have a shelf life, so I would wonder if the tritium doesn't leak out over an extended period of time, like freon in a closed air conditioning system is why they have a shelf life, but that is totally my unsubstantiated opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium_ni ... rms_sights

Just FWIW, I do not know if they are related, but smoke detectors/alarms also contain a radioactive substance in them and if you take the time to open one up and look at its' internals, is clearly marked as such.

Meprolight is $26 at optics planet if you want a night sight to hold you over till you get a light

Do they have an insert for the Ghost ring sights? I took a look around the web and found people asking about it but no real answer.

I just got my meprolight in today.

The back of the box had a big warning label on the back:

Warning: This sight system contains a small quantity of radioactive tritium in gaseous form (54 millicuries or less depending on model)

No attempts should be made to disassemble the sights. If a sight is defective, or is no longer wanted, return it to the address beloe for corrective measures or disposal.

And from wiki:

Health risks

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, which allows it to readily bind to hydroxyl radicals, forming tritiated water (HTO), and to carbon atoms. Since tritium is a low energy beta emitter, it is not dangerous externally (its beta particles are unable to penetrate the skin), but it is a radiation hazard when inhaled, ingested via food or water, or absorbed through the skin.[15][16][17][18] HTO has a short biological half-life in the human body of 7 to 14 days, which both reduces the total effects of single-incident ingestion and precludes long-term bioaccumulation of HTO from the environment.[17][19]

Tritium has leaked from 48 of 65 nuclear sites in the US. In one case it was detected in groundwater at levels exceeding the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) drinking water standards by up to 375 times.[20]

The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission states that in normal operation in 2003, 56 pressurized water reactors released 40,600 curies of tritium (maximum: 2,080; minimum: 0.1; average: 725) and 24 boiling water reactors released 665 curies (maximum: 174; minimum: 0; average: 27.7), in liquid effluents.[21]

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
So basically, don't eat or drink it and you'll be ok...

I am probably not the best one to answer that question, but dont' get it in you, whether drinking, or breathing, or expose the skin to absorb over long periods of time especially if you have any cuts or abrasions.

If I were guessing, inhaling the gas would be the highest risk of exposure if one were to break/leak.

Just did a bit of reading on Beta particle exposure.

Looks like health effects from continued external exposure to a low-level Beta source will present after a period of 5 to 30yrs. We're talking long-term contact to an "exposed" Beta emitter before health risks become a real concern. The most common documented cases of illness caused by Beta radiation exposure are from contact with abandoned industrial equipment containing large amounts of Beta emitters much more hazardous than tritium. Sights like the Meprolight units use extremely small amounts of "contained" tritium which is in itself a relatively low level Beta emitter. In fact, tritium is used almost exclusively as the illuminating agent in wristwatches, as well as glow-in-the-dark paints, gauges, exit signs, and many other things we come in contact with every day.

There are a LOT of things out there that'll kill ya, but looks like our night sights are pretty far down on the list.

...as long as they're pointed in a safe direction... :D

Update. Still no range time but I've done several house clearing drills in the dark. So far this set up is really great. The glow bead is super bright in the dark and low light conditions which makes aiming such an easy task.

I have a lot of time off in November. Should have this new set up all broken in hopefully with a better report.

Back