• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another broken Gen II

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
ok, we broke the Gen II stock today. Put a handful of mild slugs I loaded through it and it felt ok. I said we should shoot the Gen I and the Gen II side by side with my heaviest load to test them because I really think my Gen I feels better. So I gave my bro a hot slug to shoot and loaded the other one into my 500. He pulled up, shot and it looked like the gun came right out of his hands….the grip came right off and I am not too surprised looking at how much actual “meat” there is holding the grip on. Apparently there is a recall but he was never notified of anything…..
IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

From my exp. the Gen I is stouter built and the recoil reduction is right there with the Gen II if not better....unless his Gen II wasnt working right in the first place.

Damn bro, that sucks!

I'm glad no one was injured. I'm perfectly happy with my Gen 1 and from the looks of it I'm glad I never decided to 'upgrade'.
Keep us posted on how they make it right...

will do, on the up side we shot for 5 hours with no other problems from clays to high power rifles

John Brantley will replace that for free. Although I woukd probably sell it once replaced if they are that flimsy and justroll with the gen 1.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Looks like you guys had some fun...
Yeah, 8 good friends , a big fire, spirits and guns...and about 1500 rounds of variouse ammo, clays and steel......I was shooting pennies at will ,40 yards with the same brothers 243 Tika, that made us both feel better :lol:

tnxdshooter said:
John Brantley will replace that for free. Although I woukd probably sell it once replaced if they are that flimsy and justroll with the gen 1.
Thanks man, I think he is hoping to trade it back to Blackhawk for a Gen I but I'll let him know the name.

Damn, someone could have gotten hurt...glad that JB will make it right.

Well they are sending him the new and improved version....Gen II.1. We will put it to the test with more 1700 fps hand loads.
But to be honest, looking at the material they have holding the handle, I wouldn’t even want to drop it. I think he might end up with a Hogue 12” but we will try this one more time.

what's going on with the broken stock? is he required to return it, or is he able to keep it?

Another important note I wanted to share is the area of the stock the bolts to the receiver and the sliding part….I don’t know what to call it so I’ll call it the slider, behind the trigger. It is the part that carries the gun up the ramp……any way it is all plastic on the gen II. The Gen I as all alloy in that area , seem much stronger and able to put up with the movement and force. The Gen II doesn’t even have metal inserts in the areas. The only metal insert I see to take wear is a rod molded into the plastic that the cam in the handle rides on….My conclusion after shooting the two side by side and seeing them apart is that there is no structural or performance improvement over the Gen I. I feel the construction is weaker to the point if this was the only one available I wouldn’t own it…..bummer it looked promising too with the nice sling loop option and ergonomic grip……here are some pics.
IMG_0657.jpg

Gen I
IMG_0660.jpg

Gen II
IMG_0658.jpg

Back