• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip Review *FINAL UPDATE*

UPDATE WITH PHOTOS and initial thoughts of product, POSTS #6. #8 and #9 and initial use of weapon thoughts in #12, post #19 final thoughts

Well folks. Ive done some internet searches to see what I could see, in regards to the old mossberg.

My goal with this weapon is simple, personal defense, as compact a profile as I can get, and it be a shotgun.

Obviously, in regards to a shotgun, this means two things, hack the barrel off to 18.5" and get a pistol grip or folding stock. I have went that route, and after a couple years, I thought I would see what was current on the market, and came across the shockwave technologies raptor grip.

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

I wonder(ed) how it would resolve some issues I have always had with the mossberg shotgun, and aftermarket pistol grip/folding stock configurations.

1) Ability to engage slide/pump release lever. (this one is probably my biggest issue.)
2) Ability to engage or disengage safety without compromising control of weapon.
3) Ease of use, comfort. I have good and bad days, with all pistol grips, but its clear recoil or force of, is almost always directed to the webbing of the hand.
4) Im sure Ill think of something else and fill this in later.

Lets be real. Why would I need to be able to engage the safety or pump release lever, in case of emergency? I wouldnt necessarily. As both would be addressed, HOPEFULLY, within seconds of the weapon being put into defensive use. However, I like control of the weapon, in those, what if, oh chit moments. People do strange things under stress, lets say I aim weapon, pull trigger and nothing, safety is on, what? Now with most pistol grips, this would require require me to manipulate my hand in such a way as to compromise control of the weapon. Not good. Second issue, would be my ability to engage the action release lever. Which, on the mossberg, is conveniently placed on the left side of said weapon, and annoys me to no end, as its just not convenient. I dont have to get very graphic to explain, what you would have to do, if you were about to aim, only to realize, oops, I didnt chamber the first round, or reloaded, and in haste, forget to chamber the next round, if you have ever owned a shotgun with a pistol grip only/pistol grip folding stock, then your aware of the contortion required to manipulate the action release lever. Not good. Then there is the issue of comfort, in an emergency situation, adrenaline flowing, experience says, I wouldnt likely feel the pain till the next day or hours after when the rush subdues, but if this product increases user friendliness, even a small bit, it could only benefit.

Ive asked some questions on here, since I been a member, had help, had alotta help, so this will be my small way of giving back a little.

My opinion is my own but I will give it freely, your opinion and experience, may vary from mine. :D

Thanks.

Re: Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip Review

Looks good man, I hope it all works out for you and the very points you make about bein able to access the safety and action slide release are the same issues I have with a PGO on a Mossberg.

I've very often considerd a Mesa stock adapter like the low tube or LEO, but I hate functioning the mechanics of the OFM shotgun with pistol grips!

I too think the Raptor grip and birdshead grips make improvements to the PGO design and problems associated with them, so I'm def interested in hearing how all this goes for you!

There's an 870 AOW on the wall at my LGS with the same type grip. Has a good feel to it...

Rossignol said:
Looks good man, I hope it all works out for you and the very points you make about bein able to access the safety and action slide release are the same issues I have with a PGO on a Mossberg.

I've very often considerd a Mesa stock adapter like the low tube or LEO, but I hate functioning the mechanics of the OFM shotgun with pistol grips!

I too think the Raptor grip and birdshead grips make improvements to the PGO design and problems associated with them, so I'm def interested in hearing how all this goes for you!

We definitely share similar concerns.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
There's an 870 AOW on the wall at my LGS with the same type grip. Has a good feel to it...

That was one of the appeals for me, any info I could find on this style grip, were overall more satisfied with its performance and comfort, as compared to a more vertical "pistol" type grip. Excited to see for myself.

Re: Shockwave Technologies Raptor Grip Review *UPDATED*

This site only allows three attachments per post, so my extended review will be ongoing over the next three posts. Thanks.

This is the product as it arrives.

Package opened, as well as the product wrap. The allen head bolt and washer, come pre installed into the grip, and ready for assembly.

This is the face of the grip. I think the male casting face is very close to the female casting face of the shotgun receiver. You will also notice some scribbling that isnt apparent, towards the top, that is the websites web address.

Attachments

• 101_4597.jpg
    101_4597.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,271
  • 101_4600.jpg
    101_4600.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,273
  • 101_4603.jpg
    101_4603.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,271

AWESOME! Cant wait to hear what you think of this, fit and finish, how it all feels annd how the firearm handles!

This is a photo of my hand (avg size male hand and Im far from a hand model :D ) in firing position, with your typical pistol grip. This is, a pistol grip with a fixed stock, but pistol grip only configurations are near identical. What you can see from the photo, is my thumb is well within and slightly beyond reach of the pump/action release lever. So you ask yourself? Whats his problem? Problem is, my thumb does not come close to actually touching the release lever, as it requires that your thumb bend inward, which just is not possible, at least not, if your hand is of similar size to mine or smaller. You have to move or contort the weapon in such a way, as to compromise aim and control. And as you can tell, try to visualize the fixed buttstock section removed. It would without doubt require you to compromise control of the weapon, should for whatever reason, you need to make contact with the safety button. Two very bad things.

I wont get into the disassembly of the OE stock or assembly using this pistol grip. You need basic hand tools the rest is pretty obvious but if your unsure, ask.

This is my hand on the raptor grip, in firing position. I actually paid attention, and whether Im standing firing from the hip, or trying to be brave and aim weapon, my hands are still generally in this position and have enough dexterity to initiate the pump/action release lever as well as the safety. In the photo, I am using the middle finger, with the index finger to the side, as if to be cautions and negotiating, but either finger could be used with ease. This is a 100% improvement over your typical, vertical/pistol grip configuration.

And as shockwave technologies claims, this grip will in fact make your weapon look more badass. :D

Attachments

• 101_4613.jpg
    101_4613.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 101_4608.jpg
    101_4608.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 101_4605.jpg
    101_4605.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,275

Now lets talk fit and finish.

This is just an observation, but when I opened the package, the first thing I noticed, was the little white dot. :D (circled in yellow) I wont even ponder to guess what it is, I just know its not removable. Big deal? Not in the least, nothing a sharpie wont resolve, but Im a perfectionist, and its just something that sticks out to me. You ever see an ostrich, peck at something for hours on end? Well, thats what my mind does. :D Like I say, this isnt an issue, doesnt affect anything except my senses, and it just would not be a real review, if I didnt point out the bad as well as the good. :D

There was some casting slag if you will left over on the grip surface but nothing you would lose sleep over, it required little effort to remove. Overall, it was a 10 with a white dot. :D

Fit to the receiver itself. The product is slightly larger than the receiver. But within reason. My grip was not symmetrical, in that the oversize was consistent around the receiver, a deal breaker? By no means, its a non issue, just an observation, from a perfectionist.

Next question would be, so how does it feel in your hand. Surprisingly good. I was concerned, still am, at how well three fingers that typically get to sleep while using a shotgun or rifle, would behave when called to duty using this grip. And I would say, very well, surprisingly well. Just man-handling the firearm/grip, you definitely feel like your in control of all aspects of said weapon. Its nothing like what you expect from a pistol grip buttstock or pistol grip only configuration.

Slip resistance was another concern. Best I can say, is its not bad, just from an initial feel of, without firing. Its definitely not a smooth or slick surface. I will probably bring this up after I fire the weapon with this grip attached, in a near future post.

And again, it just looks really really good. :lol:

If I get a chance, I plan to fire this thing later today or tomorrow. Im not gonna go big or piddlyass around, I have 2 3/4" buckshot that I use and thats what I will fire. Ill put five through it, and that will give me an opinion, I will post my thoughts in a later post.

I would post a video, but honestly, what would that demonstrate? Ive seen a few videos on youtube and I couldnt tell how they felt, no matter how badly I wanted too. But if you would like to see the videos of others using this product, its simple. Go to youtube, type in "shockwave technologies mossberg grip", and there you go. But as stated earlier, I will fire and post my results, opinion of, later today or tomorrow, in a future post. Thanks.

Attachments

• the spec.JPG
    the spec.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,270

Dude!!! Thats sooooo post-apocalyptic, I want that slung across my back!

It looks totally bad-a$$! :D Holy Smokes man, lookin forward to your review!

Rossignol said:
Dude!!! Thats sooooo post-apocalyptic, I want that slung across my back!

It looks totally bad-a$$! :D Holy Smokes man, lookin forward to your review!

It is and it does. Pictures dont do it justice. Even from a novelty perspective, its priceless. :lol:

Ive edited my above photo posts with my thoughts, if you posted before they were included, you may wanna check it out.

I will just say, without having fired the weapon, I would consider this a 100% improvement over the typical, vertical/pistol grip only configuration.

But with your post apolcalyptic comment, I was thinking how this grip needs a skull crusher in the heel of the grip. :D

Well folks.

I couldnt wait till tomorrow. Grabbed 5 high brass 2 3/4" 00 buckshot and headed to my spot in the world that I find happiness.

First shot, well, Im not sure, I think I closed my eyes and tightened every muscle in my body for fear the dang thing was gonna jump out of my hands. :lol:

That was followed with a sigh of relief. One of those, is that it, reactions?

Even though the hand positioning is different, I was very much able to find my target(s) and make contact shooting from the hip. I never had an issue with the traditional pistol grip configuration either, but the transition was smooth. Nothing unusual there.

I have never tried to aim a pistol grip shotgun, but I did try to do so with this grip, just out of curiosity, aimed, I think again I closed my eyes and tensed up, cause I was for sure that thing would come back and crack me up side the head. :lol: But, it didnt, and I hit what I was aiming at. Although, trying to fire the weapon in this position, would require some getting used too, not alot I dont imagine but its a bit more awkward, but very much doable.

I did notice my thumb, not the inner part that usually hurts after shooting a traditional pistol grip, but closer to the joint, was feeling some, I dont wanna say pain, it was kinda like, not having used a shovel in a while, would be the best way to describe it, so with some more use, I think this would go away. Its like anything, sometimes you have to adjust. But in my case, I dont foresee that adjustment taking long.

So, initial thoughts. Does this grip remedy my previous issues with a traditional pistol grip? 100% YES Is it noticeably more comfortable than a traditional pistol grip? 100% YES.

Slip, grip resistance, initially I wasnt impressed but after I put some rounds through the weapon, I would say it is acceptable.

Im gonna get my hands on a few dozen rounds, and see what I can see. Ill give a "long term" update in a month or so.

I would also say, that it made firing the weapon from the hip, more fun~desirable, and it made you want to fire more often, which, as we all know, practice is a good thing.

If anyone has questions about something I didnt address, feel free to ask. Im more than willing to go fire some rounds and answer your questions all for the sake of education. :D

Nice work man! I appreciate ya cover that stuff!

I'd def like to know how it does on your wrist after some extended shooting, how it helps to deal with the impact. Just whenever, no rush! ;)

As promised, I obtained a bit batch of ammo. Also came back with some heavy loads...I ummm...will definitely develop an opinion of the grip with those. :lol:

Attachments

• bazzinga.jpg
    bazzinga.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,247

That should do it! :D

Rossignol

I think you will appreciate what I did today. It makes the grip 100% more badass than before. :D Id say this is a common trick with gunowners but Ive not seen it, so for now, I will consider it my idea, until someone tells me otherwise....and Im also pretending I have never seen a universal grip overlay for pistols before. :lol:

So grip~slip resistance was/is, kind of a concern to me, the grip seemed adequate but I felt it should have more slip resistance.

Long story short, I grabbed a piece of bicycle inner tube, cut it to length, and flipped it inside out, I just liked the inside texture better than the outside...and now for the photos with description.... :D ....

This is a before and after you slip the inner tube rubber over the grip. I wanted it to cover the opening, where the allen head bolt secures the grip to the shotgun receiver. For no real reason, if crap did get up in there, who cares? I dont.

After I used dish soap to get the inner tube over the grip and positioned where I wanted...was not easy! :lol: I just couldnt leave that alone either, I then cut four smaller strips from the left over rubber material, could have used rubber bands. Then rolled the rubber on the grip back as far as I wanted, easy, then laid the smaller strips over the grip, spaced them how I wanted, then simply rolled the rubber back out. Easy.

And this is the final product, 10X more awesome, and it did in fact increase the functionality of the grip, for $0. If someone were to try this, I would cut the rubber tube in such a way, as to expect it to over hang the face of the grip by 1/4", once ready to install, roll it back, a little, install grip, then unroll.

Attachments

• mb1.jpg
    mb1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,250
  • mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,250
  • mb3.jpg
    mb3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,250

Dude, thats a sweet idea, and no I havent seen it before!!! $0 makes it that much more awesome, very nicely done man!!!

Your creativity is IMO def worthy of a rep!

Ill give my final thoughts on this product.

I just opened up all the boxes above, grabbed a little here and there, 3" turkey loads, 2 3/4" double magnum loads, and some of the 2 3/4" target loads.

The majority was the 3"/ 2 3/4" magnum loads, with 10 being the target loads, with the total shells count fired today being 48.

I should start out this section by saying, read it through, and keep in mind, it wasnt the raptor grips fault, it was the previously mentioned modification of the grip, applying the rubber inner tube over the grip. After firing about ten of the 3" ~ 2 3/4" shells, I realized the rubber actually made the grip overly large for my hands and actually provided too much "slip resistance" as I noticed discomfort in my thumb, and a chunk of skin was missing, from inside my thumb. :shock: Huh. :lol: Applied a bandage, as to not bleed all over myself, took the inner tube rubber OFF the grip. Proceeded with the process.

After that, even with raw freshly exposed skin, I still fired a substantial amount of shells, most being the magnum variety, and I didnt feel anything unusual about it. Matter of fact, my hand felt fine afterwards.

I was using cans, from about a 6 or 7 yard distance, which is about what you would expect close range, and firing from the waist, I was hitting on or around the can. So definitely effective. I was paying more attention to hand position and effects of, than accuracy but it still was acceptable.

Just my opinion, but I feel this design, in regards to the mossberg shotgun, is overall the better design, your able to control the action/safety in a more controlled manner, and it is more comfortable, than the typical vertical/ pistol grip configuration. I was using 3" turkey load after all. :lol: Shoot a few of those with a standard buttstock, and your shoulder will tell you what it thinks about it, and it never has anything good to say. Plus those 2 3/4" turkey double magnum loads, are no joke either.

If anyone else purchases one, Id like to read your thoughts, so respond to this thread, so I can see it. Thanks.

Thanks for the update inline! Glad to see that it does the job well. So how's your thumb?

Back