• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Loctite, but something that dries BEFORE installing the screw?

Larry23433

.270 WIN
Ok weird question....

I'm looking for a type of threadlocker. Not the normal kind you put a drop on the screw and then put it together and it dries while the part is assembled. I'm looking for the type you put on screws and you let it dry completely BEFORE you install said screws. Sometimes when you buy new parts they will have that thread locker compound already on the screws, that's what I want.

I tried looking at work and loctite makes that stuff but they only sell it in huge quantities for manufacturers.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm a big fan of using regular blue loctite on gun screws so they stay secure, but no matter how tiny of a drop you put on it always runs a bit and makes little stains on my guns! I want a dry option lol.

Figured someone here might now what I'm talking about.

Ok weird question....

I'm looking for a type of threadlocker. Not the normal kind you put a drop on the screw and then put it together and it dries while the part is assembled. I'm looking for the type you put on screws and you let it dry completely BEFORE you install said screws. Sometimes when you buy new parts they will have that thread locker compound already on the screws, that's what I want.

I tried looking at work and loctite makes that stuff but they only sell it in huge quantities for manufacturers.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm a big fan of using regular blue loctite on gun screws so they stay secure, but no matter how tiny of a drop you put on it always runs a bit and makes little stains on my guns! I want a dry option lol.

Figured someone here might now what I'm talking about.
Try Permatex Blue in a tube. It's thicker than Loctite.

I know that's thicker but not what I'm looking for. That's "anerobic" I definitely spelled that wrong... meaning it only dries when there's no oxygen. I.e it needs to be screwed in before it dries. I want something that dries aerobic? Like put it on the bolt and let it dry then put it in.

The gel and sticks are still the same anerobic thing.

I'm splitting hairs but just want a thread stuff that is not liquid, gel, goo, at all when I install bolts/screws.

What you're looking for is Thread Lock Nylon Patching

If you do an internet search your will find the details.

Locktite and permatex are not what you're looking for.

Regards

One tiny dot of acrylic nail polish, applied about 1/3 of the way around and 1/2 the length of the threaded portion and brushed till really thin. Really just a very thin line lengthwise. In minutes it is not rock hard but dry.

I saw Seal Team SIX and Devgru REMFs doing it..... honest ;)

In addition to nail polish I've seen both shellac and superglue used as thread locker. The one caution with nail polish is it contains acetone and if you're using it with plastic parts acetone has a tendency to soften plastic.

Super glue is all anaerobic. You need to squish the air out before it sets up right. If you let it dry in the presence of air it just becomes messy.

I thought everybody just used black paint.

I used to get nail polish from my mom (when I was a kid) for this stuff. We didn’t have Loctite for screws, but we had Testor’s paint and sometimes used nail polish to mark a timing pulley.

I found a stuff called Vibratite VC-3. Ordered it but haven't tried it yet. It's a pre assembly rubbery thread patch like Ernst described which seems to be made for things like watch screws and gun screws.

Of course after ordering it, Ernst mentioned shellac and I always keep this stuff called "Indian head" in my automotive tool box. It's "gasket shellac". It's basically a rubbery glue, I use it to stick gaskets in place while changing valve covers or oil pans, but it says right on the bottle it's also great for keeping screws tight lol. I'm gonna see how well that works.

PXL_20231004_191100562.MP.jpg

Welp. The gasket shellac seems like a great option so far. Hard to get a tiny amount on little 6-40 screws with the brush in the cap, but a toothpick worked to dab just a little on. I let it dry on the screws for 20 minutes and then installed them, gave just the right amount of resistance while inserting them but didn't all just peel off while screwing it in like I was expecting. Less of a thread locker more of a vibration dampener but that may be perfect. I'm gonna wait till I get the Vibratite VC-3 and use that too on some other screws then go crazy and see if either one loosens up after a solid day of shooting.

I found a stuff called Vibratite VC-3. Ordered it but haven't tried it yet. It's a pre assembly rubbery thread patch like Ernst described which seems to be made for things like watch screws and gun screws.

Of course after ordering it, Ernst mentioned shellac and I always keep this stuff called "Indian head" in my automotive tool box. It's "gasket shellac". It's basically a rubbery glue, I use it to stick gaskets in place while changing valve covers or oil pans, but it says right on the bottle it's also great for keeping screws tight lol. I'm gonna see how well that works.

View attachment 29921
Like Uncle Ben's Rice and Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix and the Washington Redskins, the Indian Head logo has been removed from the bottle. <sad> :(:(:(

Back