• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 problems

I have a Maverick 88 12 gauge that is hard to put shells I to the tube. It also will not load from the tube having tried a number of different brands of shells. I've pulled it down and can't find anything wrong with it. I have noticed that the shell stop (when looking in from the bottom stop on the right side) the round doesn't come down to the stop. When the shell is sitting at the stop won't move to allow the shell to load.
As I said I have tried many different brands and makes its the same.
I got this from a guy that told me he bought it and he had it for sometime before trying it. He said it fires but has had this problem since he had it. I checked the serial number list to find the age but it isn't listed, so I can't tell you how old it is but I can tell you it's probably past warranty period and I don't have any paperwork on it.
Any suggestions would be helpful and Apriciated.

I'd first take a look at this video on how the action works and see how the shell stop operation compares to your gun. From what you've briefly described sounds like a combination of the shell stop and the interrupter. Please post some more info and a picture if possible.

Regards

The shell stop and or interrupter could bent too far out. My maverick did this when I replaced the internals, the new shell stop had way too much bend to it and made it nearly impossible to load the magazine and shells would not release until I put the old shell stop back in.

You could also have the magazine follower binding in the tube. Especially with the mavericks since they have a ghetto plastic follower that love to stick. Stick your finger in the tube with the magazine empty and see if the follower moves smoothly and has good spring tension pushing it back.

Like Ernst said, posting some pics or a short video would help figure out what's going on.

This is a Great Video as you know. So what I'm figuring is my action rods may be bent and not contacting the shell stops. I will look at it again and see what is now happening. I still have a couple of questions, but let's figure this out first!
I OWE YOU one!
I Thank You very much! I hope to be able to assist others in the future as you have helped me!

The shell stop and or interrupter could bent too far out. My maverick did this when I replaced the internals, the new shell stop had way too much bend to it and made it nearly impossible to load the magazine and shells would not release until I put the old shell stop back in.

You could also have the magazine follower binding in the tube. Especially with the mavericks since they have a ghetto plastic follower that love to stick. Stick your finger in the tube with the magazine empty and see if the follower moves smoothly and has good spring tension pushing it back.

Like Ernst said, posting some pics or a short video would help figure out what's going on.
I am thinking the same thing, that the rods may be bent a bit to much out and not be riding correctly. I will check this as well as the other suggested points before I go on to the other problems.
You Both have been a Great help, more so then when I called mossburg. Great weapons, but at this point can't say much for there support.

Here are pics of a GOOD interrupter and a BAD one. This was a problem with some Mossberg's for awhile.
Email and explain your problem. Also tell him you are a member here. I'm sure he will help you out.
See the bad one has too much of a bend.

email him:

Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com
Keep us posted.
Carterage stop Bad.JPGcartridge good cartridge stop.jpg

Last edited:
Hometown, if you flip your gun upside down (as shown in the pictures Mossy posted above) and slowly operate the forend/action tubes you can check the operation of all these components and use the picture mossy posted to check the interrupter position. Sometimes you must use a "hammer" to adjust the bend in the interrupter. If it's really bent Mossberg will likely send you a replacement cartridge stop and interrupter free.

Secondly, if you will post the MVxxxx partial serial number we can likely tell you the year it was made.

While the design of the mechanism is fairly simple the four or five components must work together to get a smooth action.

Let us know what you find out.

Regards

After watching the video (very nice video) I'm still not seeing why the ejection rods aren't operating either shell stop? The rods seems to be doing there job just not moving to load a shell.
I better say that it has a tac Star on it and I'm wondering if whoever installed the Tac Star didn't use different rods and they are different in some way? I do look right?

Attachments

• 16960231842751710497267915524633.jpg
    16960231842751710497267915524633.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 5
After watching the video (very nice video) I'm still not seeing why the ejection rods aren't operating either shell stop? The rods seems to be doing there job just not moving to load a shell.
I better say that it has a tac Star on it and I'm wondering if whoever installed the Tac Star didn't use different rods and they are different in some way? I do look right?
This is the best video I could take. I can try to get a better one if needed?

When you turned the action upside down to watch the components is the shell interrupter (as shown in the pictures Mossy posted) not allowing the shell to come out of the magazine? Is it moving at all?

If not, I'd strip down the action and look at the interrupter and see if it is bent to much. Take a hammer and straighten it a little and try it again.

Video didn't upload but you might take a picture from the same angle as Mossy's pictures so we could take a look at it.

Regards

When you turned the action upside down to watch the components is the shell interrupter (as shown in the pictures Mossy posted) not allowing the shell to come out of the magazine? Is it moving at all?

If not, I'd strip down the action and look at the interrupter and see if it is bent to much. Take a hammer and straighten it a little and try it again.

Video didn't upload but you might take a picture from the same angle as Mossy's pictures so we could take a look at it.

Regards

This is a picture. Lol maybe it will post.

Thanks for your help everyone

Attachments

• 20230929_185942.jpg
    20230929_185942.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 6
From the picture the cartridge stop looks ok. Is the shell up against it?
When you start to pull the slide back does the cartridge interrupter move outward?

Have you taken the gun apart to make sure it is assembled correctly and clean?
Also from your picture, the cartridge interrupter (on the left in your pic) is that in too far and holding the shell?

InternalsDiagram.jpg

This is a picture. Lol maybe it will post.

Thanks for your help everyone
Hometown, can you tell us the position of your forend when this picture was taken? I'm assuming the action was completely closed?

With the action closed and forend in it's forward position will a shell be release from the magazine if you use your thumb to push the cartdige stop (right in your picture)?

I agree with Mossy that it appears the interrupter is holding the shell in place. If so, it's either installed wrong or bent. But try the release I described above to see if the interrupter is holding the shell in hte magazine.

Please describe in detail what your seeing. I think were close to solving your issue.

Regards

When ready to fire doesn't the
Hometown, can you tell us the position of your forend when this picture was taken? I'm assuming the action was completely closed?

With the action closed and forend in it's forward position will a shell be release from the magazine if you use your thumb to push the cartdige stop (right in your picture)?

I agree with Mossy that it appears the interrupter is holding the shell in place. If so, it's either installed wrong or bent. But try the release I described above to see if the interrupter is holding the shell in hte magazine.

Please describe in detail what your seeing. I think were close to solving your issue.

Regards
Right now the forend is all the way forward and locked. The interrupter is holding the shell. The shell will not load because the interrupter is still holding it. The interrupter doesn't move when you eject/ load a shell. I moved the Interrupter up with my thumb and the shell moves to the shell stop as it should. I recycle the forarm to load the shell and the stop doesn't move. I can push the stop in with my thumb and the shell will come out as if to load.
It actually looks to me as if neither the interrupter nor the shell stop are moving.
I have taken the weapon completely apart and cleaned it (it is as if new). The interrupter is on the left stop on right. The interrupter has a large pin that fits the hole perfectly, where the stop has a small pin and no hole to go into. Comparing to the video they are backwards, but the won't fit when changed?

Attachments

• 20230930_091557.jpg
    20230930_091557.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230930_091611.jpg
    20230930_091611.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 1
You mentioned the previous owner also could not load a shell.
Sounds like there is a problem with the action slide arms.
By chance do you have access to another action slide to try?
What is the serial number of the gun?

Back