• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 problems

Is this supposed to happen? This isn't something that would be changed to modify this weapon is it?
Problem is you have a used gun and the old owner did some mods to it and,,,,,who knows????
You'll get it working ok.

If it doesn't continue to work right see if you know someone who has an OEM forend and actions bars. Only takes a minute to swap the forend out and try it.

As Mossy said try a few bends of the stop and see if that solves the problem.

I assume the interrupter is rotating correctly now?

Have to be honest with you -- I've seen more problems with aftermarket stuff wonder why so many folks don't simply keep the OEM parts that were designed to work.

Regards

I would clean and give it all some lite oiling and keep cycling it for awhile and see if the "shavings"stop.
It is working fine, it still misses a shell once in awhile but that could be me not cycling all the way to the rear. There are still shavings but I will take it out and shoot it. Maybe it's just wondering if it was ment to cycle or actually have a shell go through the barrel? I will keep you all posted.
I think I'll have to replace the interrupter before long but that is left to be seen.
Thank you all for your help, and as I said I will keep you posted!
Thanks!

If you want an oem forend to see if it fixes the issue PM me, I just replaced a brand new one (one peice) to a metal one so I could use a hogue forend. I'll gladly send you the one I took off. I may have a spare interrupter laying around somewhere too.

PXL_20230930_192158117.MP.jpg

Last edited:
If you want an oem forend to see if it fixes the issue PM me, I just replaced a brand new one (one peice) to a metal one so I could use a hogue forend. I'll gladly send you the one I took off. I may have a spare interrupter laying around somewhere too.

View attachment 29890
I'd like to keep this. It has an ATI folding butt stock and a TacStar forgrip. I don't want to sound ungrateful. I would be interested in the extra interrupter if you have one. I'd be more then happy to pay you for it! I think this one will wear out fast if it keeps putting shavings out!

Attachments

• 20230930_144151.jpg
    20230930_144151.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 2
Try taking a file to the edges of the sharp parts to remove the sharpness and smooth where it has been rubbing. I like to "ease" a gun in VS "breaking" it in... :)

Hometown, if you decide down the road to replace components I'd replace both the shell stop and the interrupter at the same time especially since you don't know how long it's been since the trouble started.

One other DIY hint when you have the elevator out. Look at the arms and see if they have any rub marks. Many of us have completely remove all the paint down to bare metal and run the elevator that way. Sometimes the finish is uneven, has burs or the finish flakes off from rubbing after lots of use. Just one more thing that will make the action run smoother.

Good luck and glad you got it working.

Regards

Hometown, if you decide down the road to replace components I'd replace both the shell stop and the interrupter at the same time especially since you don't know how long it's been since the trouble started.

One other DIY hint when you have the elevator out. Look at the arms and see if they have any rub marks. Many of us have completely remove all the paint down to bare metal and run the elevator that way. Sometimes the finish is uneven, has burs or the finish flakes off from rubbing after lots of use. Just one more thing that will make the action run smoother.

Good luck and glad you got it working.

Regards
The carrier/elevator is completely chrome. I looked at all the pieces when I removed them for that purpose, there is no rubbing. I would be willing to say that when Brand New the folding stock and the TacStar for grip were added. When I look down this barrel I would have to say that it has never been shot. This has been happening since this person and the person that had it before him. I have been told that it hasn't been shot because it was acting up and they didn't think it was safe, this is how I ended up with it.
I will order both the interrupter and the stop and replace them when they come in. The nub on the interrupter is now pretty worn and I have been cycling it for a couple of hours. It has even started missing a shell once in awhile from me cycling it so much. I wanted to see if it would eventually stop once it got worn in. Lol, it hasn't. My wife is about to throw me out my dogs think I'm gonna shoot them and my arm is getting tired.
I am actually a manufacturer of AR's but I like shot guns and have a few (never built by me). I can say AR's and bolt actions I have built haven't had any of these problems. I work on shotguns as well, but this one still has me stumped.
I will get this to work like it should, but not sure I would have ever if it weren't for all of the people in this group.
I can't wait til I can help others with there Maverick issues. It's funny because there really isn't anything to them!

Thank you sir. I appreciate all the help.

@hometown If you call Mossberg and just tell them "shells are not loading" they most likely will send you both interrupter and stop free. Don't worry about the guarantee. (800) 363-3555

@hometown If you call Mossberg and just tell them "shells are not loading" they most likely will send you both interrupter and stop free. Don't worry about the guarantee. (800) 363-3555
Thank you, I will do that and explain the shavings I'm getting. I don't mind paying for whatever. I just want it to operate correctly and learn so when someone ask I can help them!
Thank you

Thank you, I will do that and explain the shavings I'm getting. I don't mind paying for whatever. I just want it to operate correctly and learn so when someone ask I can help them!
Thank you

Here is another good read about the Cartridge Stop & Interrupter.

If you don't mind spending the money you can literally buy a whole new set of internals for around $50. Assembled bolt, carrier, extractor, extractor screw, lifter, stop, and interrupter.

That's what I did when I bought my beat to death 88 at a pawn shop. I got the whole kit off eBay. (I know, shady place to buy parts) but there are tons of reputable people who sell new takeoff parts on there.

Do you know if Mossberg sells these parts? I've been bent over a few times on ebay. Lol but I have gotten some good deals also!
Thanks, I'll look I to it.

Well I guess I'm going to have to replace the interrupter and stop? The guy just brought it back to me and it loads and ejects but not everything and it may take 4 or 5 pumps to go.

So if the interrupter isn't moving do you think it's the interrupter or the rod? It just seems as if this isn't a very good setup? Just my opinion

Hometown, just a suggestion for your consideration.

Watch the xray video I posted earlier and pay close attention to the movement of the cartridge stop, interrupter and shell lifter as the release shells from the magazine.

Turn your gun upside down and slowly cycle the action and pay attention to the movement of the components to see if they replicate whats happening in the video.

This will eliminate if any of the components are not functioning. The overall action is very simple.

Regards

Last edited:
I have done this many times even before your Great video. It seems as if the weight isn't correct on the interrupter? It is moved down but the weight doesn't allow it to come back up to release the shell. I'm sure it is the interrupter and the stop. I will get new parts ordered today.
Everyone here has made this endeavor worth while. The Video you passed on was more then a Great help, EVERYONE HAVING PROBLEMS SHOULD WATCH THIS. Nothing any better. I made small bends and it started working great, then I returned it back to the owner (he wanted it back, lol). Then he came to get it and it worked but nothing like it did after I worked on it the 1st time.
I can Honestly say this may be a good weapon but I in my life will NEVER own one like it. There are just too many that work with a much better system. Weights and measures shouldn't be something to depend on when things happen. In hunting that may be one thing, but home defense, I wouldn't put my family's life on a weapon system like this.

Another case of reading older threads providing invaluable info. My brand new '88 didn't pop out the shells when I would turn the gun over and reach in and press the stop. The shell would move about 1/16-1/8" but not shoot out like in the many videos. I took my thumb and slightly lifted the end of the shell and zing-the spring pushed it out all the way.

BUT...before I got out the hammer to pound on the interrupter it dawned on me that I've been practicing with only the Azoo dummy rounds. Thinking the dimensions might be slightly different, I loaded some regular Federal XX shells into the tube. No hang ups when the stop was moved.
Sometimes I actually manage to pay attention and figure things out. :)

PS: I unloaded the three live shells and put them back in the box before clearing the gun - again - and put it away. ;)

Back