• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New maverick 88 failure to extract

Higg72

Copper BB
I bought a new Maverick 88 about two months ago. I finally got around to shooting it yesterday. The very first shot I pumped it and the spent shell stayed in the barrel and it tried to load a live round. I cleared the gun and shot 3 more that cycled. Shot the last one and it didn’t extract. I was shooting Remington 3” Express 00 buckshot. At least one of the shells had the primer that looked like it was protruding out to far. Also had a small indentation in the rim. Is this maybe bad box of Ammo, or something else going on?

Attachments

• IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3699.jpeg
    IMG_3699.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3698.jpeg
    IMG_3698.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2
The first thing a gunsmith or instructor will likely tell you is to change the ammo for 20 rounds and see if there is a change.

That primer after being fired is not an indicator of the extractor, if there are several of them I would suspect headspace, which also could affect extraction

My first question would be did you field strip the new gun and clean/lube it? If not, I'd start there.

Sounds to me that the chamber is either rough or dirty and when the shell is fired it expands and if the chamber walls are uneven or dirty these shells, especially high brass, have a tendency to stick and be hard to eject.

I'd first clean the chamber and like nitesite recommended run some more ammo, both high and low brass, through it to see if there is still a problem. If the problem lingers then I'd remove the barrel and take some fine steel wool and some honing oil and polish the chamber walls. That should fix the issue.

Extractors are seldom the problem but do a visual inspection.

Also remember it takes a hundred rounds or two to really get a new gun broken in.

Good luck and let us know what to find.

Regards

What they said above, clean, lube and polish, if necessary. A new gun is likely "tight" and will need a couple/few boxes of rounds to loosen up. As I am comfortable doing so, I disassemble my guns when I first get them, new or used, and deburr and smooth any sharp/rough edges due to machining/stamping. Do not modify the sear/hammer release surfaces or extractors which by design are sharp.

The first thing a gunsmith or instructor will likely tell you is to change the ammo for 20 rounds and see if there is a change.

That primer after being fired is not an indicator of the extractor, if there are several of them I would suspect headspace, which also could affect extraction
Ok thanks. I was thinking maybe with the primer being pushed out, it might have also expanded in the chamber causing it to stick. I'm going to try different ammo. thanks again.

What they said above, clean, lube and polish, if necessary. A new gun is likely "tight" and will need a couple/few boxes of rounds to loosen up. As I am comfortable doing so, I disassemble my guns when I first get them, new or used, and deburr and smooth any sharp/rough edges due to machining/stamping. Do not modify the sear/hammer release surfaces or extractors which by design are sharp.
Thanks, I will try that and different types of ammo, and hopefully it will start acting right!

My first question would be did you field strip the new gun and clean/lube it? If not, I'd start there.

Sounds to me that the chamber is either rough or dirty and when the shell is fired it expands and if the chamber walls are uneven or dirty these shells, especially high brass, have a tendency to stick and be hard to eject.

I'd first clean the chamber and like nitesite recommended run some more ammo, both high and low brass, through it to see if there is still a problem. If the problem lingers then I'd remove the barrel and take some fine steel wool and some honing oil and polish the chamber walls. That should fix the issue.

Extractors are seldom the problem but do a visual inspection.

Also remember it takes a hundred rounds or two to really get a new gun broken in.

Good luck and let us know what to find.

Regards
Thanks, I did a quick cleaning a light lube when first got it, maybe not as thorough as I should have. I will clean and lube again and try different ammo. Maybe she'll start acting right. Thanks again.

I brought a new 410 shockwave and it did the exactly the same thing I had a trusted gunsmith look at it and he told me the chamber was too short for three inch shells. I sent it back to mossberg in eagle pass and they changed out the bolt and the barrel

I brought a new 410 shockwave and it did the exactly the same thing I had a trusted gunsmith look at it and he told me the chamber was too short for three inch shells. I sent it back to mossberg in eagle pass and they changed out the bolt and the barrel
Thanks, that maybe be what's going on with this one. I haven't got back out to try it again. Ill sure keep that in mind!

Back