• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can I shoot Magnum Shotgun Slugs with my Maverick 88?

emaroquin said:
NYmossyMike said:
In a home defense situation you don't need fast, you need accurate. Even with a shotgun you want a clean accurate shot if you god forbid need to pull the trigger. The bonus to a shotgun is all you really need is one accurate shot and threat is over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not in this part of the world!! While your threat is one guy, here the intruders may be 3, 4 or even 5, yes you have to be fast. Here houses are made with block and steel inside, or brick and steel, in my case walls are very thick so its kind of difficult that a shotgun could pass through the wall. But I want to buy slugs, so it can be more efective on the intruder.

What part of the world are you referring to? The only places I can think of with the construction you describe are in various 3rd world countries. If that's in fact the case, then you should look into Brenneke slugs: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ . They are a harder alloy and won't mushroom. Will penetrate an engine block.

Catalog: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/fileadmi ... e_2012.pdf

Based on your estimate of the potential situation (multiple attackers), I'm also beginning to think that a shotgun may not be your best choice at all, due to limited mag capacity, and slow reloading relative to magazine fed rifles or pistols.

my take.
I ran around with a pistol grip only shotgun for a while, my shotgun was identical to yours
I was only consistently accurate when I held it out like a pistol, not a fast technique.
I could hit a man size target in an average structure from the hip but it wasn't consistent, wasn't moving and wasn't always paced well if I did hit. It is tough enough leading a moving target with a buttstock, this is the part people fail to see with a pistol grip only, if your in a gun fight bank on shooting at fast moving people that don't want to be shot
That being said I have killed birds with it , grouse , holding it like a pistol.
it recoiled well , especially with buck and slugs but wasn't a deal breaker, wasn't something I sat there and did all day either.
I have shot plenty 3" buck and it is the next level of recoil, not fun but doable.
Not necessary either because regular 2 3/4" has plenty of power to devastate a human,
reduced recoil does good against a human too, I would never fur hunt with one unless I had no choice because no matter how you look at it reduced recoil is reduced power, personal preference for mammal hunting.

After a couple of years with it I actually got good and quite decent from the hip but never as fast and accurate as with a buttstock.
The only reason I stayed with it , and bought it was because I could put it in small spaces and hide it easy...... I shot it a lot, live in the woods and shooting a little daily back them was the normal thing to do as you cruised around, coming home from work, going to work etc.. I put a few thousand shells out of that shotgun, never hurt my wrist but I would make the web of my hand sore and tender for a couple days if I shot a 25 or more in a session(birdshot).
If I just shot a tube of 8 or less it was never a problem...even 3 inchers

If you are serious about that many people coming after you then you need to listen to Gunny and go straight for a rifle, AR15 carbine with an Eotec or red dot sight, both eyes open........or a grenade, If I had that many and I knew I would rig bad things on the perimeter too.

I you are stuck with what you got then get a good light or laser to aid in quick sighting while hip shooting

and for the record I always strive for accuracy and speed, but never sacrfifice accuracy......because you can miss super fast and that it not what your after

^^ :lol: Oli, I wouldn't recommend a grenade for HD. But, assuming the scenario he gave, a Saiga might be a better option than a pump gun - or moving to a better neighborhood. :mrgreen:

I have an 88 as well shoots everything that I purchased! I thought about a pistol grip only until I did some reading and what could happen to your wrist! I'm using a traditional stock going to wood riot style soon! I'd suggest a tactical stock with PG make sure it offers recoil reduction! Get proficient with your firearm I've looked into military style courses recently I might do that in the spring I don't know your background but knowing your gun and what its capable of will help you when the s@#t hits the fan!

I have this condition that has made my right wrist extremely strong, but for some reason its is also extremely hairy

oli700 said:
I have this condition that has made my right wrist extremely strong, but for some reason its is also extremely hairy

Better than going blind, at least you can still shoot and your hand will stay warm. :twisted:

Ok well so much for the single comment..I'm not married guess that is what I'm looking forward to? Guess we really wandered off topic here...ok pistol grip + 3" magnums = switching hands!

emaroquin said:
Not in this part of the world!! While your threat is one guy, here the intruders may be 3, 4 or even 5, yes you have to be fast. Here houses are made with block and steel inside, or brick and steel, in my case walls are very thick so its kind of difficult that a shotgun could pass through the wall. But I want to buy slugs, so it can be more efective on the intruder.

What you really should want to buy is an AK-47.

Seriously.

^+1 Yeah if things are that bad in your area fast repeating firepower with a large magazine might be a better option.

I gave this thread enough time to see if some one else would ask where this author is living and what is actually being experienced, so now I'll ask:

Why do you experience 3,4,5 bad guys and where in real life does this pose a problem? My 16-y/o son plays a lot of "Call of Duty" RPGs and he read this post and thought it sounded really familiar.

dudes long gone bro, obviously not in the US imo, if so I'm moving not because of bad guys but because of ignorance.....yeah I'm in one of those moods today

OP is probably long gone but I still have to chime in here. I have that same firearm. Picked it up around Christmas and proceeded to run a 3" magnum rifled slug through it at the local range in early January. Long story short.... That piece of meat where my thumb meets my index finger is still sore.

The IP is registered in Guatemala...

Yes, I'm from Guatemala City. I don't live on a "red area" but still you don't know what to expect, this was supposed to be a very safe place.
We went on vacation recently and when we came back our house was open and a group of people took a lot of our stuff while we where out. For some reason they left my shotgun, but the took my 9mm so I was concerned about security because I have 20 years of living here and nothing like that happened before!!

Back