• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Are all 590s drilled tapped?

jlw

Copper BB
Howdy,
Are all 590s and 590A1s drilled and tapped for a rail from the factory? If so, has this always been done or is it something that was implemented in recent years?

That's a pretty good question.

I'm going to say the answer is probably going to be no. I have a lot of older shotguns, including a 500 that was not drilled and tapped.

The good thing is though, if you get one that isn't drilled and tapped, you can buy both the drill bit and tap on ebay, and a rail that comes with screws for around $15 total. It's a simple 5 minute project. I have another semiauto shotgun that I will be doing that for as soon as the picatinny rail is delivered. It somewhere between Texas and here as I type this.

$6.88 shipped
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maverick-8...370209&hash=item44027e4819:g:zqIAAOSwVm5ZAF8E

8-40 tap ~$6
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Irwin-1506...xpRt5o9:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!40806!US!-1

#29 drill bit $4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mibro-4437...289737?hash=item25ffcb1709:g:yucAAOSwTU9bZQYQ

Both of mine came from the factory drilled/tapped, and I was under presumption that all 590s were. However, I was discussing this with an aftermarket accessories manufacturer who has found at least one example with a different hole pattern, and it may have been drilled/tapped after leaving the factory.

I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I thought the 500 and 590 were the same receiver. Just upgraded metal trigger assembly and slightly thicker walled barrel on the 590.

Both of mine came from the factory drilled/tapped, and I was under presumption that all 590s were. However, I was discussing this with an aftermarket accessories manufacturer who has found at least one example with a different hole pattern, and it may have been drilled/tapped after leaving the factory.
I did some research and what I found was that Mossberg began factory drilling and tapping the receivers in the year 1997.

Thank you for that information. I don't know if the 590 series was introduced before that time.

Thank you for that information. I don't know if the 590 series was introduced before that time.
When I looked up my serial number for my 590 Mariner, it indicated that is was made in ‘95. But I could have made a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've read around the web there were some early receivers drilled and tapped...?????

Sometimes Mossberg has done some things nobody could figure out. ;-)

From what I've read around the web there were some early receivers drilled and tapped...?????

Sometimes Mossberg has done some things nobody could figure out. ;-)
I just got a 590 Mariner and it was not drilled and tapped. Must be an old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2000 Mossberg wasn't drilled and tapped. It's just one of those things.

Back