• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Refinishing an old Ruger 10/22

Looks great Rip love the way it came out! I've looked into several stock refinshes to be honest I'm still confused.

That is nice work, Jack! :) It looks like you didn't inlay the other side of the pistol grip--why was that? Out of material?

I'm always looking for a "tired" 10/22 for a project but they seldom show up around here for less than $175 used. That is NEW gun territory...

That is nice work, Jack! :) It looks like you didn't inlay the other side of the pistol grip--why was that? Out of material?

I'm always looking for a "tired" 10/22 for a project but they seldom show up around here for less than $175 used. That is NEW gun territory...

Both sides are inlayed on both the forearm and the grip. I just didn't get a pic of it.

Thanks for the kudos guys....still workin on the truoil coats. I'm almost done!!

Wow....wth? I never updated this? Lemme find some pix to update....sorry fellers...

What are you applying the Tru-Oil with?
I just did an old SxS (as you know) and the applicator leaves lots of drip marks. So I stared using a cloth.
Still had lots of Steel Wooling to get it smooth.

Rebluing the barrels was a PIA as well. Had to do it twice.
The second time I spent 4hrs polishing the barrels on my grinder with buffing wheels.
After that it came out acceptable.

rats...that's all I could find. I must have lost the rest when my computer's hard drive died....

What are you applying the Tru-Oil with?
I just did an old SxS (as you know) and the applicator leaves lots of drip marks. So I stared using a cloth.
Still had lots of Steel Wooling to get it smooth.

Rebluing the barrels was a PIA as well. Had to do it twice.
The second time I spent 4hrs polishing the barrels on my grinder with buffing wheels.
After that it came out acceptable.

My hands....I started out with gloves, but they kept tearing up and sticking to the stock. so i took em off and hand rubbed it in. then on the later coats, i just used my index and middle fingers....

@CaddmannQ just thought you'd like to see this ruger...
It's a sweet rifle. My buddy shows it off everytime he has a get together at the farm....

Thanks Rip. It turned out really nice.

The one I bought has a plastic lower. That's the one minor thing I didn't like about it. well, the other is that the gun is so fat.
I prefer the slim cross section of a box mag rifle.

But these things do shoot, and I hear they've made over 5 million of them. That's probably quite a record for a civilian weapon.

Back