• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Refinishing an old Ruger 10/22

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This is an ol Ruger 10/22 that's beat to snot. The stock has major amount of lacquer on it. It's a horrible mess. Runs everywhere and chips and scratches galore. Not to mention there's spray paint on the trigger guard and even on the barrel and receiver! I have my work cut out for me....

NCM_1215.JPG

NCM_1214.JPG

NCM_1212.JPG

NCM_1210.JPG

NCM_1207.JPG

NCM_1205.JPG

10521912_10205070398183047_8550750379340451638_n.jpg

NCM_1211.JPG

NCM_1209.JPG

Last edited:
I was trying to clean up the checkering on the fore arm, didn't turn out so well. 3 of the checker lines just broke off when I was brushing it out with a soft nylon brush. So I tried to stipple it. That looked like crap too.
So...I have some ebony triangles just sitting around. I'll inlay them on each side and sand em down.

Next up....the barrel....

My shoulders are kinda sore from filing and sanding all day. But I got the barrel done! It was covered in laquer and pitted everywhere.
Here's what it looks like now...

NCM_1421.JPG

NCM_1422.JPG

NCM_1417.JPG

NCM_1419.JPG

NCM_1418.JPG

NCM_1416.JPG

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics. It definitely looked like it was used and abused but it's amazing what a whole lot of elbow grease and effort can yield. As a 10-22 fan I tip my hat to you Ripjack, nice work. Those are definitely the hands of a doer.

So much win in this thread, great work Rip! My stock is not even close to being as nice as yours! What are your plans with the receiver and barrel? gonna keep it polished or re-blue?

The receiver is aluminum, so can't blue it. I'm keeping everything shiney, I have some mag polish I'm going to use on it, I still can see some scratches on it, so I'm going to work on that today along with a few more coats on the stock.

Thanks for the kudos fellas!!

Great job on cleaning up that poor old girl!
Was all the build up on the receiver old oil or ?
I like the brushed finish too, hell everything is looking great!

Thanks fellas!

That gunk had chunks of dirt, and other things in it. Seems like the guy never cleaned it. Even inside the barrel...filthy.

I wet sanded it down yesterday and put another coat on it. Wooo...it's the smoothest one so far. I can hardly wait toput it back together!!

Really nice job Rip. Put some new life into her.

Back