• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

00 Buck Accuracy

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Some folks believe shotgun accuracy is a relative term. Point and shoot. Pretty simple philosophy, no need to aim cuz its a scatter gun. Point and youre gonna hit your target, could probably take out a dozen zombies with one shot even! :lol: Ok, I exaggerate because I like to be descriptive when illustrating a point! ;)

How accurate though? Accurate enough to hit clays at 12 yards! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-GFETWp5M[/youtube]

Good demo. I know growing up the idea of a shotty clearing everything was one that was believed. As I have got to shoot more of them, especially bird hunting, I have been proven wrong.

Thanks for sharing!

sumoj275 said:
Good demo. I know growing up the idea of a shotty clearing everything was one that was believed. As I have got to shoot more of them, especially bird hunting, I have been proven wrong.

Thanks for sharing!

Youre welcome, and exactly! That belief system is still rather prevalent. It is still vey much thought of a room clearing firearm. About 17 or 18 years ago, I looked for my first shotgun. I went to WalMart and laid eyes on one of the most amazingly beautiful things I had ever seen, (after my wife of course!) it was a Winchester 1300 Defender. 18.5" barrel, black synthetic furniture, and blued with a 5 rd. magazine. The sales person had told me if I was lookin for a home defense shotgun, this was it! He said it would put a pellet in every squarre inch of a wall at 10'!!! Amazing I remember thinking, i would simply vaporize any intruder...

Well, I know better now. Even with a spreader choke you wont obtain that sort of coverage. Further more it would take birdshot of some sort to have enough pellets and to be spread that thin would it do any damage at all? (thats another story altogether)

The point of all this is to illustrate just what I have in this video and others, A shotgun must be aimed and can be precise enough to hit clay sized targets within HD/Self Defense ranges. Even pushing those ranges in some instances...

Thanks again!

Yep! I've never used anything but a bead until recently and have used the TruGlo 3 dot fiber optics and now I have the Meprolight tritium dot. (I really like both!) I was using the Meprolight while shooting this video.

I got a call last week from a guy who had just received his VCS Remington 870. He said he shot a 4" pattern at 25 yards. (not unheard of)
He then told me he was actually shooting on a skeet range and had no trouble breaking clay birds, lying on the ground at 50 yards. He attempted some 75 yard shot but didn't get any consistency in breaking them.

gumbydammit said:
I got a call last week from a guy who had just received his VCS Remington 870. He said he shot a 4" pattern at 25 yards. (not unheard of)
He then told me he was actually shooting on a skeet range and had no trouble breaking clay birds, lying on the ground at 50 yards. He attempted some 75 yard shot but didn't get any consistency in breaking them.

Ooooooh! NICE!!! Do you know what load he was using?

I've done 50 yards with the Fed FC wad only. (Also patterned the FC to within or less than 4" at 25 yards) But thats the FC. If the VCS can do 4" patterns with say the Winchester Super X or the like, then you guys are sitting on a gold mine!

Back