• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

100 Yd Accuracy

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Got some boomstick time in a couple days ago and wanted to see what i could do...at 100yds :lol: Now take this with a grain of salt.... but I was hitting a 15" plate (it did group around 6-8") consistantly. It did take a few shells to actually get it hitting the plate. My first shots were WAY high about 3-4 feet and to the left about 2 feet, but once I corrected my hold, I was on target. Wind was minimal, a bit of snow and around 30°F. Ammo used was the cheap Winchest X, 2 3/4", 1oz slugs.

Curious what everyone else has been able to do with their 20" barrells :twisted:

I can get a 12 inch gong at 200, got a couple of real crappy vids around here of it

lol, dude ! I haven’t seen that in a while....Tyler and I were having some fun that day. I have another vid around here of one that you can visually see the slugs flying and you can see at least one slug hit it but we don’t hear it hit the steel, might have got the chain the more I was thinking about it. …….sucks cuz I was smoking it both times but when the camera came out I started choking........not to brag LOL…I was getting a 1’x1’ square steel with my -06 at that 200 yard range I was telling you about the other day OFF HAND….breathing pistols lately has really upped my rifle shooting man.

I know what ya mean.

The target doesn't look that far away until you line your sights up on it...

Not that the meprolight sight provides much over a bead (at least not during the day), but I'm thinking that's why it hit so high... the top of the meprolight is probably twice the hight of a standard bead. Of course with my other slug testing, it was only at 50...much easier to keep it on target!

I see what you're trying to explain, aksavanaman.

But in actuality, the taller the front sight, the lower your muzzle is in relation to your target; thus your shots will always hit low with an overly tall front sight.

But I completely agree with you regarding that sight (and I think it's a marvelous choice and a VERY good add-on/improvement)... it really does add some excellent night time benefit. And the taller/blockier square in the daylight is not critical at normal shotgun ranges.

nitesite said:
I see what you're trying to explain, aksavanaman.
But in actuality, the taller the front sight, the lower your muzzle is in relation to your target; thus your shots will always hit low with an overly tall front sight.

It's funny how you step back and go through somehting a second time in your head...then it makes sense :lol: And now that I remember, when I was actually hitting the plate, I was holding well below the target..duh!!! Thanks for explaining it though!!! Has anyone tried to paint the outline of the meprolight with some vibrant color to aid in daytime shooting? ...I'm thinking about it ;)

I haven't on my Meprolight, its a white dot during the day, I just cover my target more or less with 00.

Most I've ever done with my 20" guns is 50 yards. I've found I get almost wildly varying groups with different ammo but Fed powershok and Win superx are generally about the same. Its when I go to low power or TruBall that I see a change. The TruBall is generally closer POA/POI with less hold over to compensate.

Back