• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

100ATR, 4x4, Ruger American or Remmington 700

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I know this might be hard task, but I'd like to get some comperative info on some good options for Hunting rifles that won't break the bank. With that said, I'm still looking for quality and dependability. I owned a 100ATR in .308 a couple years back, she shot very accurately, but I wasn't impressed with the bolt feel and stock. What's the difference between the Mossberg 100ATRs and the 4x4's?

I've also seen some great reviews of the Ruger American and like that it has a removable mag, full diameter bolt, and from the testimonies they're pretty good shooters as well. Looks like I could get the above three mentioned for between $350 and $450. Then I've also seen a few 700's on the used market for around $500-600. My main purpose would be to get into deer hunting, which I have little experience with, and the occasional fun time at the range :D. Accessories might also play a factor, but less so than usability and quality.

Oh.. And I would be looking at all these in .30-06, mainly becuase I've got an M1 Garand on the way.... Which brings up another factor, If I'll only be using this for the occasional hunt, should I also consider using either the Mosin or the M1 Garand to hunt and save my $$$ for other things? Sorry I've got all the options, but any input would be appreciated! Thanks guys

I own both a Mossberg 4x4 and Remington 700 and there really is not comparison. The 4x4 is a great hunting rifle and puts meat in the freezer year after year but the 700 is so customizable that it really allows you to modify the rifle to fit your needs. I do not have any experience with the Ruger American.

That what I was thinking exactly. If I can get a used 700 for a good price, I would have infinite accessories to choose from. I've never shot a 700, how are the triggers and bolt? I also just looked on a few websites and I could get a 700 sps in 30-06 new for around $600, i wouldn't have the cash now, but I could definitely save for a little while and make due with either the Mosin or M1...or the 590 for that matter :D. Haven't made up my mind yet...

Found a good deal on a .30-06 100ATR and pulled the trigger on it... pun intended :D Since I've already owned an ATR in the past... there shouldn't be any surprises. Plans for a Boyds Walnut or Laminate stock, a one piece scope mount from DNZ and a nice Redfield scope are already underway. Will post updates as they become available ;)

Back