• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

12 gauge mini shell actual crimped length?

Larry23433

.270 WIN
Does anyone have any 1.75" mini shells laying around they can measure? I can't get my hands on any at the moment and I want to make some dummy rounds in the exact size to test how my 590a1 with the defender tactical adapter cycles them. Im assuming they are around 1.5" crimped but figured someone here could double check for me. I've heard nothing but good things about this adapter but wanna test and practice reloads while I wait for my ammo order to arrive in a couple weeks.

I have about 500 rounds newly acquired. I will get it later. Buy the damn adapter bro...HAHA.

I have the adapter, I just don't have any mini shells to feed it lol. I have about 50 normal 2 3/4" dummy rounds so my plan was to cut them down to the exact length of the mini's so I could practice loading and fiddling around in the meantime. None of my local stores ever have the mini shells in stock so I ordered them online but now they are on backorder... Typical... lol

I have the adapter, I just don't have any mini shells to feed it lol. I have about 50 normal 2 3/4" dummy rounds so my plan was to cut them down to the exact length of the mini's so I could practice loading and fiddling around in the meantime. None of my local stores ever have the mini shells in stock so I ordered them online but now they are on backorder... Typical... lol
How far in the sticks are you??? hehe. Any gun shows you can go visit?? they are wheeling and dealing.

14 boxes in stocks.

How far in the sticks are you??? hehe. Any gun shows you can go visit?? they are wheeling and dealing.

14 boxes in stocks.

I'm not really in the sticks, but anything good is a drive... My "local" gun stores are pawn shops that carry bare minimum ammo and half of them are super sketchy places where I'm almost positive you could buy meth. Closest real store is PSA in Savannah about an hour away and they never have minis in the store. When I do my bulk order soon I'm gonna get a bunch of different types of minis. They are only for backyard fun so I'm not super worried about getting them fast, unless they prove worthy of home defense but I highly doubt I'll ever risk using them for that.

Those mini's at 8 rounds with slugs is quite good for HD. I am sure on the 2nd hit they will be exiting if they can still walk. I bought a mixture to load 4 of each. The recoil is the best part and no soreness anywhere.

Buy a few 100 of each from the link I gave you.

You could always load a few exotics for HD...HAHA. A few of these would work.

12 Gauge Shorty Jungle Juice​

1694636890038.png

The Shorty "Jungle Juice" rounds are great for in home defense! The combination of several large pellets behind a mass of smaller pellets allows for double punching power to any intruder that is unlucky enough to cross it's path. Make the intruder think twice with this double whammy power. If the big pellets don't get you, the small ones will. These are hot short shells, they have a muzzle velocity of over 1,200 fps

I ordered #4 buckshot because of some good reviews on how tight they pattern. My reluctance to ever use them for home defense is not the power, it comes down to 2 things.

Will I have absolute faith they will cycle in an emergency? The Defense Tactical adapter seems to cycle them as reliable as any other shell based on reviews but I'd need to actually use it myself for a while before I have that trust.

And do I actually need 15 rounds for home defense? My gun holds 10 rounds of 2 3/4" and that math says I'd get 15 minis but I just don't see a need for that many rounds in a home defense scenario lol. I very very rarely need to defend myself against an entire swat team. That happens like 2 or 3 times a year at best...

Given that I don't shoot mini's I can't help you on length. However, I suspect they will be like other 12 gauge offerings in 2 3/4 and 3 inch.

Actual length will vary slightly among various brands of shells, but those designated as 2 3/4 inches usually measure around 2 5/16 inches before firing and 2 5/8 to 2 11/16 inches after firing. Most of the three-inch shells measure from 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 inches before firing and lengthen to just under three inches when fired.

Main difference is the crimp style used by the manufacture.

Regards

Given that I don't shoot mini's I can't help you on length. However, I suspect they will be like other 12 gauge offerings in 2 3/4 and 3 inch.

Actual length will vary slightly among various brands of shells, but those designated as 2 3/4 inches usually measure around 2 5/16 inches before firing and 2 5/8 to 2 11/16 inches after firing. Most of the three-inch shells measure from 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 inches before firing and lengthen to just under three inches when fired.

Main difference is the crimp style used by the manufacture.

Regards

Exactly what I figured. If I cut them to 1.5" I think I'll be close enough for practice loading and cycling. Probably be on the short side but good enough. I can't quad load but I'm getting good at dual loading on normal shells. The shorties should make it easier... maybe?

The Aguila mini buck are 1.42” and their mini slugs are 1.50” since the slug tip protrudes
It would be interesting to add to our data base if you could measure each of these shell casing after they are fired.

Maybe someone could do the same for other brands.

Regards

It would be interesting to add to our data base if you could measure each of these shell casing after they are fired.

Maybe someone could do the same for other brands.

Regards
I am going plinking this weekend. I will bring home some and do proper measuring.

I am going plinking this weekend. I will bring home some and do proper measuring.
Zed, just a suggestion for your consideration. Maybe you could post a picture of them with unfired and fired casing sitting side by side when you take the measurements.

We had some comparisons of 2 3/4 and 3 inch ones in the past but think this will be the first for mini's.

Regards

Reactions: ZED
Zed, just a suggestion for your consideration. Maybe you could post a picture of them with unfired and fired casing sitting side by side when you take the measurements.

We had some comparisons of 2 3/4 and 3 inch ones in the past but think this will be the first for mini's.

Regards
You got it Sir!!!

Back