• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

14" barrels

Out of curiosity, does Mossberg sell just the 14" barrels to the public? I am aware that Remington does (they can be purchased from Botach). But people get so concerned about the concept of owning a short barrel for fear of offending the ATF (even though it is perfectly legal to own a barrel), that I suspect Mossberg does not sell these separately.

The true legal answer? Don't know. I have heard it theorized that it is perfectly legal to own the barrel. However if you own a gun it can be put on, you better have paid your $200 and filled out the forms or it is illegal.

It's not that "people get so concerned about the concept of owning a short barrel for fear of offending the ATF" It's more that "People get so concerned some jackass is going to blow up his school with a short barrel shotgun under a trenchcoat"

One of the trenchcoat mafia had a 23 inch shotgun. 3 inches under legal. I wouldn't want to be the company that shipped a short barrel direct to someone who then miss-ued it.

Thank you for the reply. I am aware of all the legalities surrounding this, including the concept of constructive possession. I was just wondering if the barrel is available on the open market.

Weird, I posted a reply that disappeared.

Pretty much the same thing Blue said. While the barrel is harmless, once installed its illegal. I dont believe you'll find anyone selling just the barrel without credentials, whether LEO or military.

Conny Miller said:
Thank you for the reply. I am aware of all the legalities surrounding this, including the concept of constructive possession. I was just wondering if the barrel is available on the open market.

Okay. I get you. As I understand it from folks who have gone through it (mostly guides who work in bear country), and this clearly applies only where I have lived, is you fill out the paperwork, get your "stamp" as they call it, and then your FFL orders it. Same process for getting a suppressor. Although where I live there are multiple shops that have suppressors on display, but none have short barrels. Some of the larger ones who regularly deal with LEOs do have SBSs on display though.

I am toying with the idea of 14" 590 barrel. If I get time I will call my local class 3 dealer sometime tomorrow to see what they can do. I will post back what I find out.

KentuckyWindage said:
I am toying with the idea of 14" 590 barrel. If I get time I will call my local class 3 dealer sometime tomorrow to see what they can do. I will post back what I find out.

I'm not the most paranoid person around. I dont' sweat about things like the Patriot Act. I figure it does more good than harm by a HUGE margin. But I'm not putting myself on any "special lists" just to cut four inches off the metal end of my shotgun.

blue said:
KentuckyWindage said:

I'm not the most paranoid person around. I dont' sweat about things like the Patriot Act. I figure it does more good than harm by a HUGE margin. But I'm not putting myself on any "special lists" just to cut four inches off the metal end of my shotgun.
I hear you on that. I don't like being on those lists either. I am just wondering what they would charge for the barrel for inquiring minds.

Well for anyone interested, I contacted my local Class III dealer, and they couldnt order the barrel, then I called Mossberg and they did not sell them but referred me to there Law Enforcement service shop, well guess who that is? Aimpro so I called them and yep they sell them for 109.95 plus shipping. So They are out there. They come in Ghost ring sights and bead, and Cylinder, Improved. I might just get one :mrgreen:

Okay, here's where getting the 14 inch barrel will totally get you killed in an SD situation. You hear a noise, like your door getting kicked in. You grab your shotgun which looks sorta like this one pictured here
standard.jpg

The next thing you know you inadvertently look at the gun, and the sheer awesomeness makes your eyes explode... You're totally defenseless! :twisted:

Ok I am little confused right now. I am in the process of turning one of my Mossbergs into a 14" SBS and Something doesnt look right. I measured the length from the reciever to the end of the mag cap and I get 15"? Does mossberg use a slightly shorter mag tube on the 14" 590? On all the 14" shotguns the mag cap is flush with the end of the barrel. Any help will be great.

IMAG0087.jpg

Well... Blue has a different forend on his so its difficult to gauge. I really dont know this answer so hopefully Blue knows!

Thanks Blue! :D

Rossignol said:
Well... Blue has a different forend on his so its difficult to gauge. I really dont know this answer so hopefully Blue knows!

Thanks Blue! :D

Thank you sir, here is a pic of one with similar forends.

590a1sbs.jpg

I seriously wouldnt think there would be another mag tube for the SBS, so that leaves figurin out where the measurement is taken. Heck, call AIMPRO again! :D

Sorry that I'm late to the party. Hopefully I can try to straighten some of this out because there are some blatent errors.

First, the process for owning a silencer (or short barrel) was talking about was mostly incorrect.

First, the paperwork submitted to the ATF requires the serial number, make, model, caliber, manufacturer, manufacturers location listed, length, etc. (this also applies to silencers)

So, you (or at least your class 3 dealer) must have the silencer on hand so you would have this information to be able to write it down. The class 3 manufacturer maintains possession of the silencer until the paperwork comes back approved, and at that time, the buyer can take it home.

You (nor your class 3 dealer) do not have to have a barrel on hand when you do the paperwork for a short barrel shotgun if you are building it on a form 1, although you would need the reciever you're going to register for the required info (make, model, etc) and you will also have to engrave your name (or trust name), city, state somewhere on the receiver since when the paperwork is approved, legally and technically, you'll be the manufacturer of the weapon since it will be registered to you as your work.

If you buy an existing (or factory built) short barrel shotgun, that would go on a Form 4, and the class 3 dealer would maintain possession of it until the paperwork came back approved.

But this topic sounds like they're going to build it themself on a form 1 from a regular shotgun they own, so this is the process.

You can either order or cut the barrel yourself after the paperwork comes back approved (tax stamp). No special paperwork is required to order the barrel itself because it is not a regulated item by itself, although you can't make a short barrel shotgun without the paperwork, less it's an instant felony and court costs and fine. And if you order the barrel before you get the paperwork, I recommend storing it at a trusted location off site from where you keep your gun for the "constructive intent" clause that has already been mentioned. But it would be absolutely best to wait to order the barrel after you get the paperwork is the safest/best way.

To build (or modify an existing weapon into a short barrel shotgun) on a form 1, you fill out all of this in duplicate:

Form 1 (application to make a firearm)
Certificate of Compliance
FD-258 (Fingerprint cards)
2x2 frontal passport photo

and $200 check

----------------------------------

And as for the barrel length, you can go with 14 inches. Just don't make it shorter than what you write on the paperwork for barrel length. You can make it longer every day of the week, just not shorter. To make it simple, measure (estimate) the barrel length from the front of the reciever to the front of the mag tube. Don't measure any barrel that would be inside the receiver.

Also, it will ask for an overall length of the weapon. measure from the back of the stock to the barrel length you plan for it to be.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just ask.

A lot of people think that owning NFA weapons automatically gets you on watchlists.

With having been through the system about 9 times in total (and currently owning 5 NFA weapons), I have yet had a single problem from it.

You get on more watchlists posting on a gun forum than owning them.

Same for buying ammo and reloading supplies.

Go figure.

John A. said:
A lot of people think that owning NFA weapons automatically gets you on watchlists..

I don't think it puts you on a watchlist. I just think it makes it really easy to make a "short" list if they decide to. :lol:

Nah, it's not the ones they know about they worry about.

It's the guns they don't know about that spooks them. :ugeek:

Thanks for the class III info, I just got off the phone Aimpro tactical and I have bad news. The mag tube is different lengths in all barrel sizes on the 590 A1. The 14" barrel uses a shorter mag tube then the 18.5. :cry: so I am going to stay with the 18.5 Heavy A1 barrel. Oh well lots of research for nothing. Now who makes a 2 shot extension that is the same length as the 18.5 barrel? :twisted:

Go look at the combat shotgun section of Shotgun World site. There's a bit of talk there if you search. Most go with a +1 you can kind of shove +2 in with 2 and 3/4 shells.

Back