• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

14" barrels

Brownells has a longer mag tube and barrel set, though it has a 20 inch barrel for the 500

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2512 ... HOTGUN-KIT

But what would be so wrong about keeping the mag tube you have now and having your 18.5" barrel cut (lathed) to the shorter length you want?

Most machinists would shorten the barrel and true the face for way less than $50. Matter of fact, I just had a 22 barrel shortened, recrowned and threaded for $40.

Just cutting the barrel and truing the face should be a piece of cake that even a hobbyist could do.

John A. said:
Brownells has a longer mag tube and barrel set, though it has a 20 inch barrel for the 500

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2512 ... HOTGUN-KIT

But what would be so wrong about keeping the mag tube you have now and having your 18.5" barrel cut (lathed) to the shorter length you want?

Most machinists would shorten the barrel and true the face for way less than $50. Matter of fact, I just had a 22 barrel shortened, recrowned and threaded for $40.

Just cutting the barrel and truing the face should be a piece of cake that even a hobbyist could do.

I would do it but we are not allowed to work on barrels (firearm parts) per company rules. I thought about sending it to another shop, but the mag tube changed my mind.

KentuckyWindage said:
I would do it but we are not allowed to work on barrels (firearm parts) per company rules. I thought about sending it to another shop, but the mag tube changed my mind.

Don't let that stop you. Cut it to 14.5, and have that bad boy threaded for chokes while you're at it! Ahem... After the appropriate paperwork of course :cool:

I'm surprised, I really didnt think they would have made another magazine tube configuration. Its sooooo danged close!

Question for Blue. I am a new member and I am trying to understand AOW $5.00 stamp.
According to internet info(a lot of times incorrect) you can convert a PGO 12ga gun(pistol grip Mossberg 500/590 guns are not shotguns according To the Feds) to a PGO with 14+" barrel as long as the over all lenth is more than 26". The stamp cost is $5.00.
Do you know the form number for a AOW application?
Thanks in advance
Chuck

Hornet said:
Question for Blue. I am a new member and I am trying to understand AOW $5.00 stamp.
According to internet info(a lot of times incorrect) you can convert a PGO 12ga gun(pistol grip Mossberg 500/590 guns are not shotguns according To the Feds) to a PGO with 14+" barrel as long as the over all lenth is more than 26". The stamp cost is $5.00.
Do you know the form number for a AOW application?
Thanks in advance
Chuck

I've not seen blue around in a while, but to answer your question, it is a 5320.1 form 1 (in duplicate) if you're going to make it, or a form 4 if you're going to buy one from a company that is already registered with the gov as an AOW.

form 1
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

form 4
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf

If you don't have a gun trust, you'll also need two FD-258 fbi fingerprint cards, and a couple of certification of complaince forms as well.

You'll also need two 2x2 passport photo's and would need to have the firearm engraved with your name, city, state. The lettering must be at least 1/16" font, and .003 inches deep or deeper.

But it's not $5 to register it. It's $200 to register/make yourself on a form 1, or $5 to transfer one that is already registered after that on a form 4.

So, in my humble opinion, since they're both $200 to make, you may as well register it as a short barrel shotgun instead of AOW to get the biggest bang for your buck (no pun intended).

Hornet,

To make a AOW/Short Barrel Shotgun, it will be a $200.00 stamp.

To transfer a previously made/owned AOW it is a $5.00 transfer stamp (They already have the $200 to make it).

Frank

Hornet said:

The guys are steering you in the right direction, but your info is a little off. What you're describing above is not an AOW.

A smoothe bore shotgun is considered an AOW if it fires fixed ammunition, originally had a pistol grip, has NEVER had a shoulder stock fitted to the receiver, and has an overall length of LESS THAN 26"...

Back