• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

15 Yr. dry spell ended.

Strider

Copper BB
Hi all, after 15 years without one I once again have a Mossberg in the gun case. It's my 4th 500 variant and is actually an old New Haven 600AT. It's getting a make over right now. Nothing fancy, no Tacti-Cool stuff, I'm "old school". Just some different wood, a leather shell holder for the stock, a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad, an 18-1/2" barrel and some serious cleaning. Wish I had the first 3 back.......

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Strider !!

I think we all have let a few favorite firearms slip through our hands over the years...post a pick of the rebuild when she's done... ;)

Welcome to the site..

First thought was, well somebody finally got some rain to speak of, then my second thought was that someone might have fell off the wagon. Guess I'm wrong on both accounts. I grew up with Mossberg, Winchester, Marlin and Smith and Wesson.

When ya get the time, show us some pictures maybe some before and after.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! I look forward to checking out some pictures and hearing more about your New Haven 600AT build.

Sounds like a beautiful gun! You mention leather, where is that comeing from?

Glad to have you on MO, Thanks!!!

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely do before and after pics. It was a friend's bird and rabbit gun until he got a new Winchester semi-auto. He made me a good enough deal I can change it over to what I want and still be in it right. It currently has a 30" full choke vent rib barrel but the choke is getting pretty worn. I had a 500 Camper Special 12 ga. 20 years ago and really liked the 18.5" barrel but not the pistol grip. I always threatened to put a regular wood stock and fore end on it but sold it before I got around to it. It was fun to shoot clay pigeons with and actually made me better with my regular 500 12 Ga. believe it or not.

I found the leather "butt cuff" as they called it on eBay. Don't remember the brand off the top of my head, it laces along the bottom of the stock and holds 5 shells. My Dad's Model 1912 Winchester 16 Ga. had a leather recoil pad that laced up the side of the buttstock and I always liked the way it looked. It had been passed down to my Dad by his Grandfather who bought it new in 1912, I passed the Winchester on to my nephew a few years back and promised myself I'd get something newer but similar down the road. The "cuff" is still nice and new and doesn't have the character and patina the one on the 1912 had, I'll have to give it the proper character on my own. On the wood I'm going from checkered and stained birch to a plain buttstock and ribbed fore end in what appears to be walnut. Again in tribute to the 1912 as that is how it is equipped.

Howdy, and welcome to the club! I as well as nasa thought the same thing. Glad to see you reloaded (get it?) with mossberg! Looking forward to seeing some pix of that 600!

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Your shotgun project sounds great.

Welcome to a really good forum. Hope you drop in often!

And pics. Don't forget pics......

Rossignol said:
Man, if you get a chance, I have to see that leather cuff!

Working on the stocks now. Hope to post pics in a few days. With any luck I'll have a good start on the rustic look I'm after. A few years of use will finish the look. ;)

Strider said:
Rossignol said:
Man, if you get a chance, I have to see that leather cuff!

Working on the stocks now. Hope to post pics in a few days. With any luck I'll have a good start on the rustic look I'm after. A few years of use will finish the look. ;)

So do we have to wait a few years for the pics? :lol:

I'm holdin ya to a few days!!! ;)

Rossignol said:
So do we have to wait a few years for the pics? :lol:

I'm holdin ya to a few days!!! ;)

You've been talking to my wife haven't you? :oops: :lol:

The old finish on the fore end is proving to be a little tougher than the butt stock and needed another treatment of Citri Strip. They both appear to be white ash with a reddish stain like Cherry. Once the old "varnish" was off they actually looked very nice so I'm keeping the original stain and just resealing it. This isn't a show piece though, it will get used and abused, I just prefer the vintage look of plain wood and leather.

Noticed in a video you posted in another thread your shotgun appears to have a leather sling with shell holders. Doesn't that add a lot of weight and act like a pendulum? And..... where did you get it? Thanks.

Strider said:
I just prefer the vintage look of plain wood and leather.

Me too! Classic!

Strider said:
Noticed in a video you posted in another thread your shotgun appears to have a leather sling with shell holders. Doesn't that add a lot of weight and act like a pendulum? And..... where did you get it? Thanks.

The sling is just a sling, no shell holder on it. I do believe it would act like a pendulum and I think the swinging of it could easily prevent one from holding a bead on target.

Where did I get it? I made it! ;)

Rossignol said:
The sling is just a sling, no shell holder on it. I do believe it would act like a pendulum and I think the swinging of it could easily prevent one from holding a bead on target.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Had a small one on a sling for my .22 WMR briefly, VERY briefly. Even that little bit of weight was noticeable.

Finally got the stocks stripped and a coat of stock oil on them. Taking a few days off work so I hope to get it done soon. Been working 7 days a week and other things were higher on the priority list.

Man, I know how that goes. Workin everyday and if there is any time left in the day, its already been claimed by something more needy!

It's done except for the sling swivels and sling and I have pictures but my card reader is hiding. I'm very pleased with the outcome. Haven't had a chance to put any rounds through it yet, looking forward to it.

Back