• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

151 mb

hock

.270 WIN
I hope everyone had a great 4th, GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Its been a while since Ive been on the site, I hope everyone is doing well?
I already have a 46mb from my pop thats in perfect condition, and just picked up a 151mb that is in dire need of refinishing. I would like to bring it back to what Im calling the original color and finish which is a beautiful red color. I see all the guns have this color and dont know if its a color that is inherent to the wood used (which I dont know what type it is) or its a stain formula with 50 years of the world touching it???? Has anyone come close to duplicating the red color and finish of one of these classics? Im looking to hang both of these on the wall next to each other and any help would be appreciated for this summer project.
Thanks so much Guys
Michael

Hello there hock,

Don't have any experience with the wood on these older rifles, but you should try contacting the Havlins. They are THE resource for information relating to discontinued Mossberg models...

Havlin Sales & Service
(636) 937-6401
havlinsales.com
Mon-Thur 9AM-5PM Central

Yes I will, they are a wealth of info! I contacted them and purchased the stock when I redid the 395kb bolt action shoty last year.

And the party has begun, Just did the first run on taking the finish off and had to order a new firing pin. We will see how long it will take to get blued??

Attachments

• DSCN0704ab.jpg
    DSCN0704ab.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 273
Here is one more before photo that I originally forgot to post.
With the exception of the last few coats of tung oil on the fore end stock the gun is done and will be posting some picts by the end of the week. This gun was a wreck with the finish the firing pin, extractor and main spring needing replacing, but it has all been reassembled and tested this past weekend and everything works great!

Attachments

• DSCN0705a.jpg
    DSCN0705a.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 216
Pretty sure the stock is walnut. Color and grain is right and walnut was, and is, widely used for stocks.

Yea the stock came out good, but the left side of the fore stock didnt have as much grain so it was considerably lighter and that just bugged me so I kept staining the left side and putting two coats of tung oil and redoing it until I got the color close.

hock said:
Yea the stock came out good, but the left side of the fore stock didnt have as much grain so it was considerably lighter and that just bugged me so I kept staining the left side and putting two coats of tung oil and redoing it until I got the color close.

Looks good. If I had spotted this before you started working on it, I'd have suggested using a custom mixed dye rather than stain. You can mix various dyes to get exactly the color you want. See this: http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.c ... nsTint.htm

Maybe something for future reference. :)

here is a lousy cell phone pict until I finish the fore stock and reassemble it. better picts will come.

Attachments

• photo moss.jpg
    photo moss.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 146
Well its about time I took a final picture of the 151 mb that I re-did? I refinished the wood and replaced a number of the action parts myself and sent the barrel back to mossberg to have the rust removed and reblued. They were very helpful and as bad as the metal was I think they did a good job. I also left the rear sling swivel rusty to remind me what kind of shape it was in beforehand.

Attachments

• mossberg 151mb.jpg
    mossberg 151mb.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 47
Back