• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.17 817

I don't think that a level is going to help you very much. The elevation turret on a Sweet scope doesn't always sit absolutely square with the world. You could use the side turret if you have a level that has a horizontal level insert with the level in the up-right position. Your best bet might be to just eye-ball it. Let me know how it shoots after you get it sighted in. My 817 likes to eat Federal or Hornady V-Max and it shoots Hornady XTP's well too but doesn't like any CCI or Remington ammo. This seems odd to me as I believe that CCI loads 17HMR's for about all of the big ammo companies.
I put a Sweet 17 3x9 with a bright finish on my 817 sporter. My rifle has the brushed chrome finish so the scope matches up nicely. I installed sling studs and an ATI cheek rest to give me a better cheek weld and Fusion coated the stock in OD green. This really dressed up this rifle! Give it a try.
My rifle shoots 1 MOA or better on calm days if I do my part. If you're going after any thing bigger than ground squirrels, prairie dogs or gophers, buy some XTP's. This bullet expands (mushrooms well) but hangs together for better penetration and knock down on coons, feral cats and coyotes.
This rifle is my truck (rimfire) gun and is always with me. It has bagged a lot of game and with the XTP's there is actually some meat left to eat. I have a Western Rivers scope mounted spot light that I pop on it for coon hunting. It's great to have a rimfire that can do 80+ yard head shots on coon. Again, use the XTP bullets as the V-Max's just blow up when they hit a coons skull (unless you hit an eye socket) at longer ranges without killing the coon.
I have a Marlin 17HMR with a heavy barrel and thumb hole stock that is beautiful and shoots a little better than my 817. It should shoot better because it cost almost 3 times more! I use it when I go to Nebraska to hunt 13 stripe ground squirrels or when I prairie dog in South Dakota, but on a day to day basis, I just grab the Mossberg. I love the way it feels and shoulders. It reminds me of my first Winchester M70 Featherweight with the shnable forearm and all, only about half as heavy.
The only problem I've had is with ejection. I had to pry up the ejector rod about a 32nd to insure consistent ejection. Mine seems to shoot about as good dirty as it does clean.
Now that a guy can get 5mm Remington ammo again, I wish that Mossberg would come out with this model chambered for it. The 5mm gives a guy the best attributes of both the 17HMR and the 22WMR.
Just wishin'.

Ol' Fussy

Hey jimenez14! I appreciate you bein here, and coming to us for your questions!

Ol'Fussy, thanks for helpin out on this one, its far outside my realm of knowledge!

From Mossberg Owners, Welcome to you both! Thanks!

Back