• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

190DA Bolt Takedown Help

Hello, this is my first post here. I inherited my dad's Mossberg 190DA 16 gauge bolt action shotgun and would like to start using this gun to hunt deer. I am pretty good with doing my own gun maintenance and have been taking this gun apart and seeing its workings. The one thing I cannot for the life of me figure out is how to take the bolt apart. I have searched everywhere and can't find any solid information on this.

I have removed it from the gun and I find that it is two cylinders as well as a trigger assembly inside. I can rotate the cylinders relative to each other, all the way around, and I can also manually pull back and rotate the trigger assembly (takes some umph as it's sprung). I see no pins or screws, only a small ball-bearing in one place. So does anyone know the trick? The more details the better.

Also I believe that 185s and one other (perhaps 195/193) are pretty much the same. Let me know if you know how to do it on one of these. Thanks ahead of time.

Thanks for the input and welcome old mossy. I checked out the exploded diagrams for the 185, 195 and 190 and they aren't helping me too much. Maybe its my own stupidity. I'm starting to think i might have to remove strips of steel on the side, but I don't really see how to do this without bending them. I thought about soaking in kero like some people say to do, but I really want to get it all the way broken down so i can really see what the sticky bolt problem is all about. I think it might not be just gunk.

Don't have the personal experience to help you out, but I would suggest giving the Havlins a call...

Havlin Sales & Service
(636) 937-6401

Victor and Cheryl Havlin are our go-to resource for info on discontinued Mossbergs. If anyone can walk you through full disassembly of your 190DA, it's them...

Your tip paid off Lazy. I talked to the Havlins and they told me that you have to turn the bolt 1/2 turn and then they pull apart. I had read this stated offhandedly somewhere else, tried it, and it didn't work so I figured it didn't apply to my gun. Hearing them say it though, I really put a lot into it. Eventually I had to use a vice and some light hammer taps but it came apart, and once apart its clear that is how they are supposed to separate.

A lot of the machining in there seems pretty shoddy. I frequently disassemble my Remington 1100 and its a lot nicer in that gun; everything is smooth and mill-marks are hard to spot. So I went over some key area with sandpaper and even a file in one part. Its a LOT smoother now. Thanks guys for your help. Now its time to hit the range.

Outstanding!

Great to see they were able to help you out. If you get a chance, we'd love to see some pics of that 190DA...

If you get a chance, we'd love to see some pics of that 190DA...
As requested:
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/HugeSaladFork/Mossy190DA16gaFar.jpg
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/HugeSaladFork/Mossy190DA16gaClose.jpg

You can see its well used, but it seems to shoot well. I'll need a case of slugs to really see how she runs. They are on order. I took it out today after the service I gave it and I had a couple of missfires. I know exactly what the problem is, but I need a die. So it's a work in progress. On the flip side that is an original clip (those are getting rare, especially for the 16 gauge) and the reloading action is perfect.

I like the gun, kicks a bit more than my 1100, but that is to be expected. Also I think that is the original shock protector on the butt and it could break a rockwell hardness tester.

Thanks again fellas!

Back