• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st Disassembly and observations

Gunowner99

.270 WIN
So, I bought the gun used a bit back but just got to cleaning it up. So, I did a total disassembly. Notes:

1. Unscrewing all of the screws is a pain and one must be careful not to strip them. Ugh.

2. Other than that, pretty basic and simple.

3. Pulled out the actual "gun". I noticed that to get the trigger assembly off, one has to use a punch which makes sense. Kind of tight but oh well.

4. Cleaned the barrel, light oil inside and out. No issues.

5. Pulled out the trigger assembly and sprayed some CLP in it and let it set. After a while took patches, q-tips and whatnot to it to get it all cleaned up.

6. The "bolt" I have a question on. Got it cleaned up and all that but I noticed that the top seems to rub a lot on the top of the gun, as it should, however put some oil in there but it still feels rough. Cocks fine and all that, but it just seems like a lot of metal to metal wear will be happening?

7. If I strip the mag release screw, what do I do?

All in all a pain, but it was my first time. Any input?

I've taken mine apart twice already and havent even put any rounds threw it as of yet. First time just to clean it all and then I took it back apart because I noticed I put the buffer for the charging handle in backwards and it would let handle slide all the way back. With the mag release screw try and ace hardware and see if you can find a replacement. Fairly easy to take down just a pita to do it.

Spin the screw backwards till u feel it drop in the threads then screw it in till snug.....u won't strip it that way

I have 2 now the handle version and the Flat top version. I noticed with my first one i had problems releasing the mag. It felt way to hard for my liking. So i took the mag release lever and stuff out of the receiver and took some tension out of that spring.

With this flat top i already noticed the same hard to push lever to release the mag so i did the same thing to it as i did my first one.

You push the little pin that the mag release lever pivots on, there is 4 parts to it. The metal lever that pushes against the mag, A pin behind that, a spring UNDER the pin and a little ball bearing. The ball and spring work for the safty and that spring also functions as the tension for the mag release.

I put that spring on a small screw driver with a metal handle then i compressed it all the way so that all the coils touch and i hold it there with pliers i then use a lighter and heatup that spring while its compressed. Ive done it twice now the first time i didnt get it as hot i just do it a little bit at a time till the spring gets soft enouch that it makes the mag release easier to push. The second time i did it i got it a little hotter and it seems perfect now like my first one.

Back