• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st Mossberg

newtoguns

Copper BB
So i am excited that there is a forum for Mossbergs and i am looking forward to many years of enjoyment with my soon be new purchase.Just want to know if im making the right choice. ok so i have a slim budget and want to pick up a mossberg .22 tactical. A few reasons why: Obviously the price.Acadamy has one for $259. Ammo is cheap(relativly speaking). Looks awesome. This is going to be my first rifle,I have had several pistols in the past and still do.Like i said first rifle. So short story long, is this going to be a worth while investment.?Thanks

.22 long rifles are great plinking. I'm not familiar with the mossberg .22 rifles but I've seen a few on the range I visit. I havent heard any complaints.

You'll get the itch for more power. I did and went 12 gauge from Mossberg.

Welcome and good shooting!

Welcome aboard!

A .22lr rifle is an excellent choice for a first rifle and great for training basic safety and shooting mechanics. Just in case you are not aware, the Mossberg 715 Tactical is actually a model 702 Plinkster inside a plastic shell to make it look like an AR type rifle. They are great little rifles for the price and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Like any other .22lr, I'd suggest spending a little more on some quality ammo in the beginning. New rifles and cheap rimfire ammo are usually a bad combination that lead to a lot of frustration. New .22s can be very finicky during their break in period and using CCI Mini Mags or Stingers for the first 500 rounds or so will go a long way toward a proper break in.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post pics of your 715t if you decide to pick one up. In the meantime, take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. We've got a Handgun sub-forum in our Other Weapons section and we'd love to see what you like to use. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

-L.E.S.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

newtoguns said:
So short story long, is this going to be a worth while investment.?Thanks

As compared to what?

Like a Ruger 10/22? That has a lot more aftermarket options and following.

Or just because you like it?

If it's just because you like it, then get it.

If you're looking for something that you can build on and change down the road, then the mossy tactical plinker 22 probably isn't the direction I would personally go.

newtoguns said:
Like i said first rifle. So short story long, is this going to be a worth while investment.?Thanks

Let the mission drive the gear, what role do you specifically see this rifle fulfilling?

I don't have a mossy .22 but I have a Ruger 10/22, Marlin Model 60 and a .22 conversion for my AR. All are extreamly fun to shoot but each were bought for a specific purpose.

The 10/22 was a project gun, lots of parts and possible configurations.

The model 60 was bought as a hunting gun. Very accurate but has a tubular magazine making it slower to reload and limiting capacity.

The AR conversion was just for plinking and getting the AR out on the cheap.

All were good inverstments in my eyes

Not trying to deter you, just trying tio feel out your intentions to better answer your question.

Welcome to the forums Newtoguns!!

John A. said:
newtoguns said:
So short story long, is this going to be a worth while investment.?Thanks

As compared to what?

Like a Ruger 10/22? That has a lot more aftermarket options and following.

Or just because you like it?

If it's just because you like it, then get it.

If you're looking for something that you can build on and change down the road, then the mossy tactical plinker 22 probably isn't the direction I would personally go.
+1 Its a great plinker but there are many options available so it depends on what your goals are.

Thanks for the responses! my intentions with the gun are not to make it a full blown monster.I just want a cool looking toy that isnt going to break the second time i use it.

Then I think a Mossberg tactical .22 will fit the bill. Their customer service can be a bit difficult but they always make it right in the end.

Back