• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2013 firearm ban proposal text

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Edit to bring this to the front page:
revised with 122 pages of text that includes exempt weapons so it is obviously far too large to paste.

many things discussed within the propsal including confiscation of property and fund allotment for weapon buyback programs, etc.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/ ... e69f517fb4

----------------------------------------------
From Sen. Fiensteins website. Below is some of the wording of bill PROPOSALS. I took the liberty of highlighting and adding notes in red

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/ ... lt-weapons

Summary of 2013 legislation
Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms (still yet to be listed publically probably in an attempt to not cause public outrage)

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds (I am assuming that this would also include those evil Ruger 10/22's and Marlin model 60 22LR's and other weapons that have a fixed tubular magazine of more than 10 rounds, so prepare for registration of nearly all semi-auto weapons in the country from the sounds of it. More on that later in the press release)

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds. (sounds like this is not going to be a grandfather clause if I am reading this correctly. ladies and gentlemen, turn them in)

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by: (Hunting is not a right as granted by the Constitution of the United States, but firearm restrictions are a violation of the Constitution.)

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment (so they can get them later after our demise by the no transfer rhetoric that is listed and highlighted earlier. What this is, is an incremental ban for future generations so they'll get them one way or another eventually and should be deemed unconstitutional in and of itself)

Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes (last I heard, the 2nd amendment wasn't written for sportsmen or hunters)

Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

A pdf of the bill summary is available here. http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/ ... 8ca4359119

Re: 2013 ban proposal surfacing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH3JQjcweM[/youtube]

I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said over and over about this type of legislation.

I've written all my my reps repeatedly but they are as liberal as it gets so my words fall on deaf ears.

I just thought about this.

I noticed no mention of violent video games, nor how to deal with mentally ill.

So, it "was" about guns all along.

From her press release:
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/ ... f318d46d02

“I have been working with my staff for over a year on this legislation,” Feinstein added.

A summary of key provisions in the updated bill:

Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of more than 100 specifically-named firearms as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.

A Justice Department study found the Assault Weapons Ban was responsible for a 6.7 percent decline in total gun murders. However, since the 2004 expiration of the bill, assault weapons have been used in at least 459 incidents, resulting in 385 deaths and 455 injuries.

I'd like to blame video games as well but in reality its parenting........if Call of Duty is the baby sitter for 10 years and the only thing you hear from your parents are "its bed time".....I can’t blame video games with good conscience.

As far as mental illness and crazy folks…..nothing money can’t fix……that’s right no one has money. And everyone is sane till the day they go crazy…….anyone got a way to predict or prevent that and you’re rich!

oli700 said:
I'd like to blame video games as well but in reality its parenting........if Call of Duty is the baby sitter for 10 years and the only thing you hear from your parents are "its bed time".....I can’t blame video games with good conscience.

I totally agree on the parenting. I've played violent video games since there were violent video games. (which was not until my later teenage years). There are too many exceptions to the rule to point the finger here, but many parents let their kids start playing them at much to early of an age IMHO. My parents were pretty strict with what music I was allowed to listen to, what movies I could watch etc, until I was older. It pissed me off at the time, but I thank them for it now.

Kids today are exposed to violence much earlier than I was. Just two days ago I saw my girlfriends sisters 10 year old daughter watching Goodfella's. When I made a comment to her mom, she just went in and contuinued to watch it with her. No way in hell my mom would have let me watch that that when I was her age.

I totally agree that there is a failure on the part of parents but it is very difficult today where anything and everything is streaming to pretty much anywireless device imaginable....and most kids have them today. I know what my answer would be but it would not go over very well with most kids today.

oli700 said:
As far as mental illness and crazy folks…..nothing money can’t fix……that’s right no one has money. And everyone is sane till the day they go crazy…….anyone got a way to predict or prevent that and you’re rich!

Mental illness is a slippery slope but there really is no facility for getting help unless you have loads of money or experience a violent snap. Many with mental illness fall through the cracks because family, etc. ignore it, deny it, etc. until something bad happens.

I understand what you both are saying. While I was serious, was also tongue in cheek that their real desire has been to all along ban weapons. Sen. Fienstein said herself that she had been working on this for more than a year.

That much should even be clearer to those that believed the rhetoric of addressing all of the issues they said before was total lies.

mental illness will not be more than mentioned in a brief or press release and will not be addressed because no one knows how.

Thank goodness for mandantory obamacare. Maybe that will prevent people from doing acts of violence against others because they'll finally get the care they needed all along. [sorry, more sarcasm]

You want to make some ground.... get into the streets in front of your respective capitols and picket. Just like those idiot libs do. I've been trying to get a group to make it up to Albany but I get no replies when I set a date.... the gun owners go silent when action is demanded. Not even I cant make that date... just silence.

Sad. I've written so many letters the past 2 weeks I probably have tendonitis up to my elbows.

Canada's legal firearms owners finally picketed and got that registration bill nixed. I believe it was C-19...

Feinstein has been trying things like this since the ban sunsetted in 2004. And this newest proposal comes as no surprise. I'm sure the only thing keeping her from calling for all out gun confiscation on every level is the backlash from within her own party. Which even if she gets a watered down AWB passed I do believe there will be a beat down on the individuals who do vote for this on both sides when their seats come up for grabs. The only reason Feinstein is still in her seat is she passes out Kool Aid, and is only interested in being a career politician...can anyone say Ted Kennedy?

Almost forgot, where are all the Democratic gun owners who voted for BHO and own these dangerous "assault weapons" I know they are out there, what is there excuse/thought now that the Dems are spear heading this push?
This may sound harsh but if you voted Democrat and own a gun of any kind.......you need to report in for a mental health screening.

Water Monkey said:
You want to make some ground.... get into the streets in front of your respective capitols and picket. Just like those idiot libs do. I've been trying to get a group to make it up to Albany but I get no replies when I set a date.... the gun owners go silent when action is demanded. Not even I cant make that date... just silence.

Sad. I've written so many letters the past 2 weeks I probably have tendonitis up to my elbows.

Canada's legal firearms owners finally picketed and got that registration bill nixed. I believe it was C-19...

Because in America, the time for that sort of thing to get attention and make law makers feel pressured are over. Look at all that occupy the park s**t.......they turned a deaf ear to it.

Screw Canada, in fact screw everyone other than America. We have our own problems that they don’t face or understand…..and I have 0 compassion for other countries problems.

The jobs of all the politicians are so secure they don’t have to worry about the people with signs, back when the group could also tar & feather , run you out of town it was more effective, but now no one cares how many people gather.....All it does is inconvenience the picketers. They already know all the gun owners are worked up, bunch of people with signs aren’t going to change a thing, in fact it might give a further bad image in the media…..bunch of gun fanatics yelling about how it aint fair…..media would love it.

My opinion and I'm probably wrong but the time for talk , bitching and running around with signs has about run its course.....

Towmaster21 said:
This may sound harsh but if you voted Democrat and own a gun of any kind.......you need to report in for a mental health screening.

So out of curiosity, what would be happening if the upstanding honorable Romney was in office?
For the record ....I believe this is so far past political parties......I didn’t vote Obama or Mitt because they are one in the same to me.
Mouth pieces, pawns, front man whatever you want to call it. I just hate it when someone blames one guy who got elected for all the problems in this country that have existed for a century......just so old.....Obama's going to take our guns !......so pathetic.

I didn't vote for either, because I thought both of them were full of it. But people, gun owners knew his past record on firearms and yet they voted for him....makes no sense. I'm not blaming one man for the countries problems, but he sure seems to be helping them along.

I do agree with Oli though the time for signs and picketing has probably run its course. And in this case the media would love nothing more than to portray gun owners as rabid child killing fanatics who dont want to give up things that kill children at school.

And I want to say for the record I don’t mean anything personal in my statements and opinions. I just call it the way I see it and appreciate all your opinions because even if I don’t agree with you, I believe in diversity and the power of a different opinion so nothing personal and that’s sometimes hard to convey over text so , especially on heated subjects because the entire deal is pathetic and sick……were being treated like a bunch of incompetent children because of the actions of a handful of people , it pisses me off and the canned solutions don’t work anymore…..frustrating

My thoughts when it comes to most laws are reflected in my signature.

No harm or foul Oli. As a NYer we are dealing with a storm of epic proportions with our current governor in the form of proposed registrations, confiscations, and total ban.

I've written all the letters and paid to orgs I feel will help lobby and fight for my god given rights. My question is what more can I do to fight?

And as a NYer you have thick skin....my dad 's from Brooklyn, then went in the Army then a 1% motorcyle club.....I know about NYers. If theres a way to fight a true NYer will find it lol

Some unexpected things about the wording of this proposal are starting to come in.

I'll touch on a few of the bigger ones.

1. The ban would prohibit the manufacture.

So, essentially, there would be no replacement parts allowed to be made if something on your lawfully owned gun were to break or malfuntion.

2. If you owned a gun (let's say Marlin model 60 as an example that are more than 11 million in existance as an estimate stated by the Marlin company), unless that model was specifically exempted and you had to register it as an assault weapon with the NFA branch like they are saying, that was made prior to 1968 and did not have a serial number from the factory, in order to register it lawfully, you would be required by the NFA branch to have a serial number engraved on it, thus making the cost the owner must endure increasingly more cost prohibitive because that's something you'll have to pay for out of pocket, likely have shipped to an FFL licensed engraver/gunsmith.

And I'm not entirely convinced that they are going to waive the current $200 NFA registration tax per weapon either.

Not counting the fingerprints, time it takes to get your sheriff signature for each firearm, passport photo's and FBI background checks are currently $200 each weapon that would fall under the definition of the law, can lead to a lot of excess money in taxation as well.

And even if they don't charge the tax on a per weapon basis, the current NFA wait time is in excess of 6 months as is.

With literally hundreds of millions of weapon registrations and registrants, it could literally take YEARS to get your approval application back, and even then, something could've changed in your legal status to own a weapon in that amount of timeframe.

Deaths, etc.

There is going to be absolute chaos if some of those proposed bills are passed...

No worries Oli I still like you lol.
I highly doubt BHO will ban all guns, but he is certainly no friend to firearms owners. Its going to be a hell of a ride the next 6 months to a year. The thing that is worrying me is the demonization of anyone that owns a gun no matter what kind it is. The threats, the media disinformation, etc etc....this is typical....someone gets killed by a drunk driver and its the booze manufacturers fault, nevermind the guy behind the wheel that poured it down his throat.

Back