• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.22lr vs 12 gage

oli700 said:
When I was 19 my best friend died from a 22lr, one shot…..negligent discharge

Another negligent discharge when I was in high school, kid showing his friend his dad’s 22lr went through a guitar and lodged in a kids spine, almost died.

Another buddy had got a sucking chest wound from a 22lr dropped from a horses scabbard, he was hurting bad but made it fine.

Another friend got shot intentionally in the gut from about 10 feet , 5 rounds and drove himself 50 miles to the nearest Dr.

Another friend got shot in the knee with a 9mm fmj , it glanced off, he shot back with a 7mm Remington magnum , hit the guy in the hip and killed him at hallway distance

Another friend got shot in the ass with an old 50 cal muzzle loader that might have been loaded for 50 years, a drunk guy put a cap on it and pulled the trigger, came through an outside wall, went through a bunch of cabinets and blew his hip joint into a bunch of pieces, he lived but I seriously gimped up..

Those are my first hand experiences with shootings and different calibers….all over the board. Sound like a lot when it’s all written down like that but I was raised in a community between 400 and 500 residences so you knew everyone. Other than two negligent discharges, alcohol was the common factor in all those situations….and an obvious complacency with firearms

Geeeez, so many shootings.

Would a hit from a .22LR stop me? Absolutely. Heck, you could even miss and it would stop me.

Would a hit in exactly the right spot or multiple hits, with .22LR, in different spots stop most intruders? Absolutely. In fact, I'd about bet that putting one straight into the eye socket would stop nearly all of them.

However, I'm trying to stop a worst case attacker/intruder. One that feels little or no pain. One that will only stop if absolutely forced to stop. Also, I wouldn't bet on my ability to place perfect shots/multiple shots under life and death duress. I need one shot, not perfectly placed, to make a definitive stop. Buckshot from a 12 gauge is where I'm placing my bet.

I like plinking with my .22LR, but I'm not going to grab it to protect me. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Interesting discussion.

Would the stance change if you were limited to a semi auto .22 or a single/double barrel shotgun?

Hey. Wait a minute. What is the political aspect of either .22LR or 12 gauges? :?: Are .22s libs and 12gs conservative? ;) Take care. Tom Worthington.

oli700 said:

Another negligent discharge when I was in high school, kid showing his friend his dad’s 22lr went through a guitar and lodged in a kids spine, almost died.

Another buddy had got a sucking chest wound from a 22lr dropped from a horses scabbard, he was hurting bad but made it fine.

Another friend got shot intentionally in the gut from about 10 feet , 5 rounds and drove himself 50 miles to the nearest Dr.

Another friend got shot in the knee with a 9mm fmj , it glanced off, he shot back with a 7mm Remington magnum , hit the guy in the hip and killed him at hallway distance

Another friend got shot in the ass with an old 50 cal muzzle loader that might have been loaded for 50 years, a drunk guy put a cap on it and pulled the trigger, came through an outside wall, went through a bunch of cabinets and blew his hip joint into a bunch of pieces, he lived but I seriously gimped up..

Those are my first hand experiences with shootings and different calibers….all over the board. Sound like a lot when it’s all written down like that but I was raised in a community between 400 and 500 residences so you knew everyone. Other than two negligent discharges, alcohol was the common factor in all those situations….and an obvious complacency with firearms

I was thinking of this post in this thread while I was casting up the final 1-oz slugs from the mould you loaned me.

That is some really sobering stuff.

I'll try to get your mould and some nice goodies back to you real soon, pard..........

nitesite said:
oli700 said:

I was thinking of this post in this thread while I was casting up the final 1-oz slugs from the mould you loaned me.

That is some really sobering stuff.

I'll try to get your mould and some nice goodies back to you real soon, pard..........

my buddy died looking at me asking me what happend, his dad and another one of our friends was there.....the gun had a sear that didnt always catch the cocking piece, it was chambered.....negligent at best to even have kept the gun around.........I cried like a baby that day

cast them up my friend, get all you can.....if you need it again its a flat rate box away

Back