• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.22LR vs .22Mag

Husker88

.270 WIN
Elite Member
I'm getting the bug to get a .22 bolt action rifle. It seems that .22 LR is the more common round, while .22 Mag packs more punch. From what I've read they are NOT interchangeable. .22 LR is also cheaper ammo with greater availability.

SO, if I had to choose, which would be a better option for the older, non-contest shooting, sometimes varmit exterminating shooter?

It's probably risky asking this type of question since it mostly comes down to preference, but any feedback...of a reasonably constructive nature, is appreciated.

.22LR all day long. You can get a load that is quite accurate, lethal and loud. You can also get a load that is quite quiet also. Both will run out of a bolt action, no problem. You can even get "target" loads that are more money, but can tighten your groupings. My SIL has a Ruger American .22LR that he likes. I think he paid around $300 for it.

The .22 Mag case is a little bit thicker (and longer), therefore won't fit in a .22LR chamber or vise-versa although the bores are the same. So they are unlike the .38/.357 compatibility. .22 Mag is also not nearly as common on the shelf as .22LR.

Agree with Bobster on .22LR. Beyond being cheap it's probably one of the best barter ammo around because most everyone has an old .22 rifle or pistol in the closet and likely only one or two boxes of ammo.

Beyond a bolt action you can pickup a used Ruger 10/22 at most gun shops and there are a ton of spare parts and upgrades available.. Magazines are also plentiful.

.22LR great for training and teaching young folks about gun safety and target shooting.

Regards

So far my experience with .22 WMR in my short peashooter is that .22 LR is more accurate. I don’t have a long gun that shoots both.

I have a few of each. I like both rounds. The price difference is huge though, in most cases the mag is 4 or 5 times as expensive. I have a Ruger 10/22 I bought for a smidgen over $200, but that was 15 years ago. It is my favorite plinker. I think a new 10/22 now is right at $300,

I also have a Marlin 22mag bolt action that I picked up at an auction about 10 years ago. If I recall it is a model 883 that I paid $240 for . It’s a nice shooter too, but the ammo price is considerably more.

I have some handguns chambered in each that are fun to shoot as well.

If I could only have one it would be a 22 lr.

Looked at the current price differential last night and .22 mag is about 4x the current price of .22 LR which to me is significant. Most of the .22 Mag rounds, even in bulk quantities, are running between 28 and 32 cents per round.

Pretty high cost differential for a 8-9 grain heavier bullet only going between 200 to 300 feet per second faster.

Regards

Yes, .22 WMR is the price of common .223 ammo here. ;-(

BUT: different tool, different purpose.

Back