• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.410 Pump issue

I just purchased a new mod 500 .410 pump last week. I got it home and it wouldn't cycle a shell from the magazine. Took it apart and cleaned it real good...still nothing. Called Mossy and they are sending a new cartridge stop and interruptor but I don't think thats going to fix it. The shell coming out of the mag is hitting the elevator. I looked at a buddy's gun and his travels 3/16" further than mine.
Anybody ever experienced this? I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to avoid sending this gun in for repair. I understand how the mechanism works.
I emailed Joe over the weekend. In the meantime I thought I'd bounce it off the forum.
Thanks

Note sure. If it is a brand new gun I would just cycle it empty several (and by several I mean a few hundred) times to loosen everything up. It could just be something in the machining that will loosen up over time or it could be something else.

Aside from that, unless you see something actually bent or out of place or a burr that would be inhibiting the elevaters movement I would wait from the parts from OFM and try it again.

Thanks for the reply! It's new. I've been doing exactly as you said, pumping it a lot.
The problem is that the elevator won't travel any farther. If the bolt could keep moving rearward, I believe the elevator would drop more but the bolt is as far back as it can go.

Does the bolt appear to be moving back as far as it should?

I recall hearing an issue at some point where the bolt hit the stock bolt and did not travel back far enough. I think that caused issues with shell ejection but might be worth looking at. Not sure how to tell without taking it apart and looking for contact marks between the two.

Have you had the saftey apart? Sometimes if installed backwards can cause issue as well, but you should be able to tell by testing the safety.

You can pout some washers on the stock side or grind down the bolt on the receiver side.

I would remove the stock bolt and add a few washers to take up the slack. Just remove the two screws holding the recoil pad in place and then use a large screwdriver to remove the stock bolt.

OK, let us know how it works out. Hopefully that is all and it will be a easy and cheap fix you can do yourself.

Well Mike,
I was wrong. The bolt/slide is hitting the back of the receiver not the stock bolt. But it's definitely feels like it should go back further. If it would come back another 1/8-3/16" it would extend the travel of the elevator enough.

Good luck with this.
You got some great advice here.
Sorry that you are having issues with a new gun! .410 500's can be what I would call finicky.
For a model of gun that is known for being very "Loose" on tolerances, when it comes to the .410, I find that the tolerances need to be a bit tighter inside the gun for proper operation.
Once you get the new Stop, Interrupter and lifter/elevator in, all will hopefully function correctly.

Last edited:
Well, customer service folks have been friendly and helpful BUT, I still haven't received any parts. The first order was placed on 12/30 or 12/31. The second was on the 1/6. Haven't seen a thing.

That's OK. The first parts actually showed up today.
As expected, they didn't solve the problem. In fact, the interrupter doesn't even function properly. Hopefully the elevator will show up soon enough.
Thanks guys...updates to follow

Back