• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

5 Star Speed Loaders ..... What do you all think of them ....

tattooo

.30-06
aee4f75edf8d0139bfc380628deec07a.jpg
d98899a2a869602936c1ad66667b52ad.jpg

Just picked up tbis 8 round speedloader for my Smith and wesson M&P R8 .... Haven't tried it yet..... What's the general concensus on the brand ? Are they worth 2 & a half times the price of most other brands ?

They are certainly very high quality. I have used one which is owned by a friend. The craftsmanship is just amazing. I think it's the only brand that actually fits a Ruger LCR.

If I have any negative thoughts about them, they are somewhat minor.

First, they do have a bit of rattle to them with rounds locked in. The design is for cartridges to be deliberately held just a bit loose to help with chamber alignment, so there is bound to be a bit of noise being metal to metal. Not a big deal but it's noticeable.

Also, they unlock with a counter-clockwise turn of the knob (to the left) which is opposite of the HKS knob release. Again, a fairly minor detail that unless you are old and set in your ways like me. It would be unnoticed by anyone who is using a speedloader for the first time or someone who wants to retrain from the HKS feel. I always turned it the wrong direction, which is only natural for somebody who has used HKS for 35 years.

How do you like yours?

Thanks for taking the time to respond nitesite.... I haven't taken it to the range yet to really run it.... but just messing around in the house i agree the finish & quality is top notch....

I personally know a Texas LEO who carries a 4" S&W PRO 627 Magnum revolver with eight moonclipped Hornadys in the cylinder, and on his duty belt next to his sidearm are four leather MACE carriers which hold four moonclipped 8-rounders in the bottoms topped with a 5-Star speedloader on top of each moonclip. That is sixty-four EXTRA rounds of .357Magnum, folks!!! This man can (and does) walk the walk and he chooses 5-Star brand speedloaders. That's all I need to know about how good 5-Star loaders are. I wish I could be as cool as him.

Last edited:
Back