• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Flex Tactical Barrel Nut. 500, or 590?

Span24

Copper BB
All,

Thanks in advance for considering my post.

I recently purchased a 500 Flex Tactical and I love it! Wanting to use a Magpul MS3 sling, I purchased GG&G Front Sling Attachment (manufactured for the Mossberg 500). When I tried to install I realized that the barrel nut for which the attachment was made to fit is not the barrel nut on my 500 Flex. After a little research I found that the barrel nut on my 500 more closely resembles that on a 590. Typical 500 barrels I have seen contain the barrel nut to the barrel with a star washer. My Flex is more like a cap which screws onto the mag tube. GG&G does make an attachment for the 590 and I will be ordering another.

Now, my questions are; Is the 500 Flex (tactical) a hybrid when it comes to barrels? i.e. Is it a 500 with a 590 barrel? Wouldn't that just make it a 590? If not, what are the differences between the 500 Flex (tactical) and a 590?

What barrels do I now look for? 500, or 590? Does the barrel nut make a difference for barrel selection like it is with this attachment? Can 590 barrels swap with 500 barrels? Certainly the 500 barrels I have looked at will not screw directly into my mag tube with the attached 500 barrel nut.

I purchased the 500 Flex so that I could go from tactical to hunting to skeet so I will be looking for additional barrels so I am looking to the experts here to help me make the correct decisions.

Michael

Hello Michael. Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy. From what you are describing it looks like the 500 flex tactical and the 590 flex tactical use the 590 type barrels.
If your barrel uses a female type cap then you would need to order 590 barrels if you are looking to change around for hunting. You can also use 835 barrels. They will also fit but you can't use 3 1/2" shells. Do you have the model number of the gun ?

old mossy said:
Hello Michael. Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy. From what you are describing it looks like the 500 flex tactical and the 590 flex tactical use the 590 type barrels.
If your barrel uses a female type cap then you would need to order 590 barrels if you are looking to change around for hunting. You can also use 835 barrels. They will also fit but you can't use 3 1/2" shells. Do you have the model number of the gun ?

Thank you for the response! I am loading a few images so that you can see what I'm working with.

20131119_205237Small_zps0be42fff.jpg

Here is the Model Number from the end of the box.

20131119_205706Small_zpsa6fcc06b.jpg

Here is a picture of the Barrel Nut (cap)

20131119_205639Small_zps71c3d9f5.jpg

And finally, (assuming it displays properly) the gun.

So, to summarize; I will need to purchase 590 barrels and NOT 500 Barrels?

Thanks again!!!

Michael

Nice shotty Michael!
Yes you have a 590 standoff barrel. As mentioned before you need to order 590 or 835 barrels(no 3 1/2" shells with the 835). Mossberg likes to mix 'em up when it comes to the standoff barrel.

Another thought I just had; Doesn't the standard 590 mag tube hold 7-9? This mag tube only holds 5. Isn't that going to be a problem if I want to put a 590 skeet or hunting barrel on the gun? I don't want to have to remove the mag tube just to change barrels because it kind of defeats the whole purpose of having the Flex (easily swapping out components).

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Span24 said:
Another thought I just had; Doesn't the standard 590 mag tube hold 7-9? This mag tube only holds 5. Isn't that going to be a problem if I want to put a 590 skeet or hunting barrel on the gun? I don't want to have to remove the mag tube just to change barrels because it kind of defeats the whole purpose of having the Flex (easily swapping out components).

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

You are correct. You just need to get the 590/6 shot barrel or a 835 barrel.
The 590 comes in either 8+1 or 5+1== 9 shot or 6 shot.

old mossy said:
You are correct. You just need to get the 590/6 shot barrel or a 835 barrel.
The 590 comes in either 8+1 or 5+1== 9 shot or 6 shot.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your valuable input. I will be looking for the 5+1 590 barrels. Now if I can only find them in the length and chokes I need (with a matte finish) :lol:

Michael

Back