• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Flex

clfarr1997

Copper BB
Has anyone changed the stock on a Flex model to a regular stock? Or does anyone know if it will take a regular stock bolt? I found a 500 flex and I like how the gun is set up but not really sure about the whole Flex thing. I know the forend change would be easy enough, just don't know about the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey clfarr and welcome to M.O.
Yes you can remove the (TLS) tooless locking system from the flex and replace it with a standard 500/590 stock. A few guys here have done that already. Its just a few screws and off it comes.
I, on the other hand, kept it on for my adjustable 6position FLEX stock and just got me a std FLEX buttstock and swap back and forth as needed. Its also easier if you plan to swap between stocks with the TLS than removing if you plan to go back and forth.

I just ordered myself a Flex myself and thats great news that we could swap out the TLS to be compatible with all the standard stocks out there

What about the Flex forend? Are standard 500/590 forends compatible with the Flex?

Unfortunately forends are not.
The Flex is specific for it and can't be used with other std forends.
Now you can swap it out for a std forend that is used by any other 500/590 and use it. That's what I did. Swapped the forend but kept the TLS.

Kind of confused. You said that the Flex is specific for it and can't be used with std forends. So what do you mean when you say you swapped it out for a std forend used by any other 500/590?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, kind of a noob

Kind of confused. You said that the Flex is specific for it and can't be used with std forends. So what do you mean when you say you swapped it out for a std forend used by any other 500/590?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, kind of a noob

Essentially, FLEX and standard parts aren't interchangeable but the FLEX system adapters can be removed entirely. This will allow the installation of the standard action slide tube and forend as well as the standard stocks...

Oh okay thats what I was hoping for. I really hope they come out with more aftermarket FLEX parts though. I love the idea but hate that the options are limited to a few Mossberg products.

That's the whole point.

The FLEX system was a way for Mossberg to take back the furniture and accessory market from aftermarket suppliers. By developing a patented, proprietary fit system they can effectively eliminate all aftermarket support for those models.

I believe what we've seen so far has only been a test to gauge customer acceptance and the overall viability of the line. It's no small coincidence that the supply of factory replacement action slide tubes dried up in the months preceding the launch.

I think the concept is interesting, but the lack of FLEX system parts and components at retail this far into it tells me they might not have seen the positive reception they needed to expand the assortment. Again, the overwhelming majority of FLEX model owners we've seen here have ditched the adapters in favor of standard aftermarket furniture...

Sorry for the confusion jFury. Didn't mean to confuse you bro.
Like LES mentioned FLEX parts are specific for FLEX models only.
But on the other end, most 500/590 parts can be used on the FLEX with a bit of removal and re-installation. What I should of said was that I swapped my FLEX forend tube for a 500/590 forend tube that comes on every other 500/590 so I could have a selection of just about any aftermarket forend since at the time I purchased mine I think the only option was what it came with; in hopes for more FLEX parts to follow, which hasn't seemed to be the case yet. But maybe someday.

Last edited:
Awe shucks. So that means I gotta go and find myself a 500/590 forend tube if I want to convert it back right?

Not sure if I made the right decision to buy the Flex if I'm going to be switching back to standard anyways

Look at it this way,,,now you will have both.

I would try giving Havlin (636) 937-6401 a call for the action slide.

You got a Mossberg so you can't go wrong jFury.
I kept my TLS for the buttstock cuz it's a hell of a lot easier to go from a 6position to std (flex) buttstock and vice versa. Just a pull and a twist and off comes the buttstock. And you can even get the pistol grip option if u like that.
As for a forend, just get the longer tube for any 500/590 and there are so many more forends to choose from.
I'm pretty sure once you do that you will keep it on. I Did.
I'll throw up some pics of what I had and have now after work tonight.

Sorry for the delay on getting the pics up. Here are some pics of the before and after.

Original FLEX with AFG sticking out way too much for my liking.

Got the short 500/590 forend tube with the extender nut to make it fit the Maco forend I got. (The long tube would of worked better but had already bought the short one)

Done with some wicked hand stops.

Last edited:
that set up looks good man! I'm hoping to do a little modification to get it something like how this guy did it:

Good deal bro. Have fun with it and make it your own. Dosent matter what it is as long as you like it and it works for you.
Some like them simple and others like them all decked out. Its your choice but as long and your comfortable with it and how it shoots is all the difference in the world.

I'll swap out the 6position FLEX buttstock with my std FLEX buttstock and get a pic up for you to see too.

If you got any If he questions just ask bro.

Ok so here are a few pics of the various opinions I have at my disposal to choose from that are interchangeable with stock flex commercial buffer tube it comes with (tube could also be used on any AR too if you really neded one)

OEM 6position stock it comes with, also took off that cheap plain Jane AR grip for the Hogue AR grip. Oh and notice the limb saver on the end of the buttstock. An investment in its self not just in comfort but bruising after a days shooting.

Standard 12" LOP buttstock (got the 12" so my son could shoot it comfortably, he's 11, and I like the close feel of it too) easiest swap ever from 6position to std stock. See how fast you can change it with out the TLS. Took me 5 seconds (unofficially). And no I didn't time my self but it was pretty Damn fast to do the swap.

Put my old Magpul stock on just to see if it works. And it does fit on it as well.

This goes on my AR but I figured, what the hell, why not show its complete versatility. My LaRue Tactical RAT stock. This thing is frickin awesom, I love this stock, it's my favorite and a solid piece all around.

I know you all love EYE CANDY lol.
Here's a few of the toys just chillin.....
See how Mossberg, Remington, Springfield and Smith & Wesson can all get along together for a group selfie. LoL.

Last edited:
That LaRue stock looks awesome! Can't wait to get some mods into this thing.

Btw, does your stock forend seem pretty loose? Mine has a lot more play in it than I like

Thanks man. I love my LaRue stock. Not just because its made here in the Austin area where I live but because its just easy to use and has a great feel and very well built.

As for the forend. I asked the same question when I got mine too and apparently that is the norm and supposed to be a bit loose for functionability and im sure someone else here can confirm that as well.

Yeah I'm thinking of going with the magpul stock and changing out the grip as well. I hear the grip needs some modification though to make it work

Back