• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Pump Action Question

I discovered a problem when reassembling my shotgun. There are two operating levers in the trigger group. One lever rides up on the bolt slide to disengage the trigger when the action is open or partially open. The second lever pops up behind the bolt slide when the action is closed and cocked to prevent the action from opening. The other end of the second lever is the little tab behind & left of the trigger which can be pushed up to open the action when closed and cocked. This second lever on my gun will not pop up behind the bolt slide. the lever does not clear the rear of the bolt slide so it cannot operate correctly. I can't imagine what caused this problem since the gun previously operated properly, although I have noted a small indent on the rear of the bolt slide so there has obviously been interference there previously. I'm going to use my Dremel tool to dress down the end of the lever to allow it to clear the bolt slide. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Sorry to hear you are having as problem. Any chance you can post a pic or two of the trigger assembly?

Hi again old mossy. It's sure great that you reply so quickly when someone has a problem. I have solved the problem by grinding a small amount off the slide stop lever in the trigger group and the rear end of the bolt slide where the two have contact. I hope I described the levers sufficiently so it was understandable. Sorry, I can't show a picture. I don't have a smart phone. My daughter keeps bugging me to get one.
By the way, the slide operates more easily now since I sanded a little more off the two mag tube rings which were put on cockeyed.

It's good to see that you were able to solve your issue with only a slight modification...

Hi again old mossy. It's sure great that you reply so quickly when someone has a problem. I have solved the problem by grinding a small amount off the slide stop lever in the trigger group and the rear end of the bolt slide where the two have contact. I hope I described the levers sufficiently so it was understandable. Sorry, I can't show a picture. I don't have a smart phone. My daughter keeps bugging me to get one.
By the way, the slide operates more easily now since I sanded a little more off the two mag tube rings which were put on cockeyed.

Glad you were able to get it working.

Back