• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 recoil

Machy UNO

Copper BB
Hey guys, new member here. I've shot shotguns before and am not new to guns, however the mossberg 500 is the first actual shotgun I've owned. I purchased it with a pistol grip (only, no stock) as it was a great deal and I knew I'd be upgrading to a new stock anyway. I didn't even shoot it like that but ordered the ATI side folding stock with pistol grip. My question, how much does the stock effect the recoil? After 20 rounds it hurt to shoot, and I don't consider myself a small guy. My wife's Winchester defender with the factory stock didn't have the same problem and I could have shot that one much longer. Do these kick that much harder than other shotguns, or is it possible it's my stock?

Probably the stock. Shot my friends 500 with the same stock and it kicked. My houge stock is much better. You could add a limbsaver pad to it if you want salvage that stock.

^^^^ yup what WM said......and the limbsaver recoil pads work great.

Welcome to the forum from NY.:)

Thanks. I've seen the limbsaver recoil pad and considered it. Before I put anything else into was curious from other perspectives though. I've heard the extra weight in a heavier stock will reduce felt recoil and that makes perfect sense, just not sure how much it would do so. I just don't want to tense every time I shoot knowing the way it will feel.

Three things affect shotgun kick/recoil: total weight, recoil pad, and particular load/shell. Everything else is a gimmick. The heavier the better (or at least less recoil). Recoil pads make a tremendous difference, especially going from a plastic plate or rock-hard factory pad to something squishy (Limbsaver or Hogue). And of course shell makes a big difference between say a 2.75 Birdshot and a 3 Buckshot.

I remember the first time I shot 3". Bought it by mistake. I was confused about why I couldn't fit 5 in my magazine tube, then I noticed the size difference. I thought to myself "no big deal, how much different can they be?".

Two rounds later, I put the other three away and was sore for the rest of the weekend.

If you haven't seen this already, here's a great video by Rob Haught illustrating the "Push/Pull" method...

Using this shooting method will greatly reduce felt recoil and help keep fatigue to a minimum during extended shooting trips...

The shell in mine was the same I loaded in the wife's Winchester (2.75 buckshot, can't imagine t with 3") so I would have to say for me and my mossberg that leaves total weight and recoil pad. I believe the ATI is fairly light and the recoil pad is not that thick. I think the idea of the fun looking stock that is foldable just isn't practical for what I need. Sounds like a new stock and the above push/pull method from the video (thanks, never seen that before). I guess the next step is narrowing down the choice of a new stock. Anyone looking to purchase an ATI foldable stock and forend?!?

I think the idea of the fun looking stock that is foldable just isn't practical for what I need.

I'm a big fan of Hogue. Good recoil pad, good grip shape, and not plasticky. Lots of folks like Speedfeed. Limbsavers are great pads and they make all kinds.

You will see Hogue Preached on here!! There is a great reasoning behind it... IT WORKS!
Not to say the ATI stock setup doesn't.... but it is also a completely different platform too.

I notice when I had my MESA Tactical LEO adapter (similar to the ATI) it kicked significantly more as well. I got annoyed with many variables of how I had my shotgun setup and went back to a Hogue Stock and Forend... Much more comfortable. Sometimes you can redirect some recoil into your forarm and hand with a pistol grip and sometimes you cant and your should takes 100% of it. With a traditional style stock, you really only have 1 way to mount up and square the stock to your body. Once you get that right, managing the recoil all comes with time and practice. Try a Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 3" slug... DEEEE AAAAMMMM does that wake you up! haha

Limbsavers help too... I have one on my 30-06 Handi Rifle!

Itsricmo :
I've found less recoil in all rounds with my Mesa LEO /Magpul stock. Especially with the Hornady SST's. Can't find Brenneke anything around here, but I'd love to try them :)
I think it primarily comes down to not only the style round, type of barrel, stock used, and shooters stance, but the perceived "recoil" which is actually just muzzle rise. Not saying that's the case here, but I've seen it happen.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Itsricmo :
I've found less recoil in all rounds with my Mesa LEO /Magpul stock. Especially with the Hornady SST's. Can't find Brenneke anything around here, but I'd love to try them :)
I think it primarily comes down to not only the style round, type of barrel, stock used, and shooters stance, but the perceived "recoil" which is actually just muzzle rise. Not saying that's the case here, but I've seen it happen.

I had to order Brenneke thru my LGS. Took about 3 weeks. Website http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/

I had to order Brenneke thru my LGS. Took about 3 weeks. Website http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/

Curious...

If I fired one of their rounds in self defense, wouldn't the fact that I'm using specialty rounds hurt my case of self-defense? Same idea as if I were to engrave "stone cold killer" on my barrel. Wouldn't that help the prosecution paint me as a psycho killer or something?

That alone is why I don't do any performance related mods to any of my guns.

Curious...

If I fired one of their rounds in self defense, wouldn't the fact that I'm using specialty rounds hurt my case of self-defense? Same idea as if I were to engrave "stone cold killer" on my barrel. Wouldn't that help the prosecution paint me as a psycho killer or something?

That alone is why I don't do any performance related mods to any of my guns.

Nope. The Brenneke slug variants have been standard hunting ammo for medium to large game for over a century. The first one was introduced in 1898. I use the Green Lightning 2 3/4" shells. Good round for wild pig, deer, elk, bear, etc., or the occasional engine block. ;) The advantage of the Brenneke is penetration and accuracy. Standard Foster slugs tend to mushroom on impact and don't penetrate to the vitals nearly as well as the Brenneke. You do normally use your shotgun for wild game, right?

I find that a proper mount can decrease recoil drastically no matter how heavy the gun is.

Last edited:
Limbsaver, Limbsaver, Limbsaver. On a stock 500 it does wonders. 3" magnum slugs? No problem. Bring 'em on. :)

Another thing I've noticed about the Hogue Overmolded stocks is the recoil pad: there are differences in them. The full size one has one very similar to a Limbsaver, however the shorter LOP size has a stiffer one almost like Mossberg's factory one... In comparison the larger stock almost has an air pillow on it :)

I'll start by stating that the knoxx spec-ops stock is harsher on the shoulder than the OEM wooden stock, but a noticeable margin. I've been considering switching back to the wood stock for that reason. I'd seen that video for the push-pull method and tried it, with little success.

I'm moving and don't want to take ammo with me so I took my 150 shot shells to the range and went to town. Normally I'm a 25 and done guy cause of the recoil effect on my shoulder. But needing to get those rounds out I decided this was a great opportunity to practice the push-pull method.

As it turns out, it works! I simply wasn't pushing enough. I fired all 150 shells in about 20 minutes. I practiced loading one round, firing, throwing another in the shotgun and firing, over and over, for almost all 150 rounds. I used the same technique as with the side saddle (side saddle is broken and awaiting warranty repair, otherwise I'd have used that).

Now my shoulder feels great, better than 5 rounds of my old shooting non-technique. This video is spot on.

I asked my wife to take video so I can evaluate my shooting. The target fell down after about 5 rounds, and she stopped filming. I'm debating posting it to see if I can get feedback from you guys on shooting technique.

Sorry about hijacking the tread, just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Back