• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 wild hog

You'll find lots of 590 Special Purpose Shotty's that have been turned tactical. (Or tacticool) Got mine from Big-5 Sporting goods on sale and found this forum around the same time. I began turning mine into something similar to one I found in a YouTube build.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... dIhNCo9FFn

On his he used the ATI Forend with 5 rail capability.
The ATI forend comes blank and you have to buy the individual rails one at a time. He doesn't mention that in the video, but if you go to the ATI website site and research it, you'll see that the rails are sold separately.(Like a Barbie doll)
http://www.atigunstocks.com/forends-and-picatinny-rails/287-talon-5-sided-aluminum-forend.html

On mine I went with the ERGO Tri-Rail forend. It was smaller and cost less. But I found out it won't fit the ERGO GripStop and Magpul AFG1. The Magpul AFG1 is bigger than the AFG2 and must be modified to slide into the ERGO forend. You could buy the AFG2 but it is shorter and will beat up your hand every time you pull to trigger.
I also bought a rail for the top of the receiver, a red/green laser dot scope, enlarged safety lever, and side saddle 8-shot holder from Mesa Tactical.
As for the stock, I bolted on the ATI Talon Tactical 6 position stock. Normally the cheaper sales are around $90-$100. Sometimes you find forend and stock combos for less than each one would be individually.

"ATI Talon Tactical 6 Position Stock Mossberg"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=at ... g&_sacat=0

Attachments

• Safety a downsized.jpg
    Safety a downsized.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 565
  • after 86 downsized.jpg
    after 86 downsized.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 565
  • Wide shot c downsized.jpg
    Wide shot c downsized.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 565
The Magpul AFG1 is bigger than the AFG2 and must be modified to slide into the ERGO forend.

Attachments

• AFG1 grind f downsized.JPG
    AFG1 grind f downsized.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 561
  • AFG1 grind c downsized.jpg
    AFG1 grind c downsized.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 561
  • after 303 downsized.jpg
    after 303 downsized.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 560
Now that I've spent all that money and time, I'm having buyers remorse. :(
This thing weighs a ton(13-15 pounds?) when fully loaded with 8+1 and 8 on the side saddle holder. When "Clearing" my house a couple times, my shoulders got so tired I couldn't stand it.

Maybe I should workout more. :roll:

I learned too late, just because someone makes an accessory to fit my shotgun, doesn't mean I have to put it on my shotgun. ;)

I don't need both
a red dot scope
AND
light/lazer combo.
That's just overkill. No pun intended.

Probably didn't need
the ERGO Tri-Rail forend
with AFG1
and hand stop.

That's 3 items adding extra weight out in front of your body that you have to keep holding up.
This is all stuff I never thought about before I started buying. :?

If you plan on using it for Home Defense (HD) is anyone else going to be using it for the same thing? Wife, kids? How big are their hands? How much does it weigh? Do they know how to operate the controls? Can they reach the controls?

Keep in mind what you plan on using your shotgun for, and build sparingly.

Love your 590. This is kinda what I'm looking to do. Just deciding on the 500 hog wild which I think is a 8 shot vs 590 with 9 shot

On the 590, 9 shot means 8+1.
8 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. I'm pretty sure the most any Mossey has an 8 shot mag capacity even if you have a 24" barrel.

Yea I've had a 870 tactical before. I only put side saddle and shell carrier on the buttstock. Might add a light via the magizine tube

welcome to the forum from NY.

not sure exactly what you are looking to put together.
the wild hog is a 500 persuader 7+1 shot.
not sure of the prices,,,,,but the only difference between any 500 8 shot and the wild hog is the fancy art work on the stock.
look around the sub forums,there is plenty of info on both the 590 and the 500.
enjoy. :)

dorangolv said:
But at least it ain't pink.

Why would it be pink?

I won't try to explain. Just understand that for some folks, a gun is more than just a gun. ;)

For example:
pink-leapord-vang-comp-shotgun.jpg

aksavanaman said:
Does the pink leopard print underwear come with that??? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Imagine you're the bad guy staring at a dude with pink leopard undies and that shotgun... priceless!

Sorry... for jacking the thread :cool:

AK?

I find it VERY interesting that you pictured a DUDE wearing the pink leopard underwear... :?

stigmata said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
AK?

I find it VERY interesting that you pictured a DUDE wearing the pink leopard underwear... :?
:lol: :lol:
Id like to hear that explanation too?? :?

That's what I wear... duh! :shock:

Lol... I don't really have an explanation for ya... but the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pink shotgun was how funny it would be to see a greasy Ron Jeremy looking dude with a matching thong and that 870.... could be a bad 80's movie you know ;)

...you can tell me know, I'm a lost cause :lol:

aksavanaman said:
stigmata said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
AK?

:lol: :lol:
Id like to hear that explanation too?? :?

That's what I wear... duh! :shock:

Lol... I don't really have an explanation for ya... but the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pink shotgun was how funny it would be to see a greasy Ron Jeremy looking dude with a matching thong and that 870.... could be a bad 80's movie you know ;)

...you can tell me know, I'm a lost cause :lol:

Hollywood may be missing the boat on this. Could be a very funny comedy, with the right actors and plot. Picture a big action star (Stallone, Willis, etc. ) taking down a bunch of bad guys, but only has access to pink guns.

Back