• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500e for home defense?

Wilcoe

Copper BB
I other week picked up a 500e and plan on building it for the wife as an "in home" defense gun. So I was wondering who else has one, and what have you done with it to make it right for your situation? Right now I am waiting for parts to come in for ours.

Welcome from MI!!

I do not have one but at most hd ranges it should be more than sufficient.

With most of my guns I prefer to keep things as simple as possible. The more accessories and dodads one has to learn and manipulate the more likely one will screw it up when the adrenalin is pumping and seconds count.

IMHO, put some hi vis sights on it and train with it until you can operate it, clear it and reload it without thinking about it and call it good.

What parts are you waiting on?

As for .410, there are several good HD slugs and buckshot for them. Birdshot is the most common shell for a 410 in general, which is fine if you're hunting birds and squirrels, but for personal protection, I don't get below buckshot and preferably slugs.

I think that 410 is a decent choice for recoil sensitive and small statured people. I think of a 410 slug more along the lines of handgun calibers at HD distances and comparable to 41 magnum in strength. Federal even has a slug load containing a 1/4 oz slug (~110 gr bullet) at 1775 feet per second resulting in a muzzle energy of 762 foot pounds, so at 25 or 30 feet (average indoor distances), is stronger than many pistol calibers like 38 special, 32acp, and a larger diameter too. And if you take the plug out of the mag tube, has at least as many shots as a revolver and faster to reload if necessary.

There are probably better choices overall for HD than 410 out there, but that's not taking away that 410 is also better than other options too.

The most important thing for any gun is that your wife can comfortably use it, and aim it, and can consistently put the shot where it needs to be.

First off thanks for the replies folks.

If I could figure out how to make a "profile" here I would to explain my background. I am very familiar with weaponry and ballistics. But the .410 is a new venture for HD.
It will be a true "in house" gun for her. I figure 000 buck,with 3 or 4 .40cal balls going down range at 950-1050 fps, with each shot fired. It's a good match. Especially with our hallway and stairway being the key areas and only 25 feet long.
Anyway the parts I am waiting for, and like "MikeD" I believe in K.I.S.S., are for a pistol grip and stock change out. Because her reach is so short, even with the youth stocks she can't get a good shoulder pocket. So I had to use an M4 style pistol grip with 6 point collapsible stock as I did with her 20 gauge. With that she gets a good pocket and sight picture.
Sadly I have found out that there is squat out there for the 500e so I am curious as to what others have done.

Last edited:
If you can't really find what u Need, have you thought of possibly making it out of another (spare or used) stock to fit your needs.
An old stock and a bit of patience and trial and error might yield you something better than u might be able to find, or can't find for that matter.
It may be a little longer to obtain what u need this way but the end result will pay off in the long run.
Just a thought....

I've long been a supporter of and recommended tritium sights like the Meprolight. Big dot in day light and glows in the dark. The 5/40 thread works on the .410 too. That and a light is about all. Does yours have a vent rib or is it the 18-1/2" barrel?

I'm with you on the 000 buck or 00 loads.

Our 500E is just the way it came from the factory.
Wife and I shoot skeet with it. Its like breaking clays with a BB gun. Also a great way to get proficient with a pump gun.

Rossignol, it came with a 26 vent rib barrel. So I called Mossberg and bought the 18.5. As I said before I am a K.I.S.S. person and with it being an "in home gun" I did put a light on it.
After I posted, I got my parts in the mail. With a wee bit of dremel tool work and fitting on the grip where it fits into the receiver (I was surprised how much narrower the receiver is compared to the 20 gauge) it worked. The only other add on will be an on the stock side saddle for and additional 10 rounds.
I'll try and post pix when done.

LTB45, how do you do CQB with a 26 inch barrel?

The wife and I are both pretty good with handguns. My EDC is my first line of HD, as is my wifes.
Shotguns are our toys and for competition.
If needed one of my 12ga would get the call. One of my 500's has an 18" barrel but it also sports a home made bayonet that puts it well over 26". It was designed for the Zombie Apocalypse ;)

Wilcoe: It's great to hear from another .410 owner. My prior experience with the .410 was with a folding single shot, and I was impressed with the performance of the .410, prompting me to finally pick up a 500E. I believe the .410 is absolutely a good choice for HD, if that's what someone is able to use. I don't mean just women and girls: any of us could suffer an injury that makes recoil a problem for us. I have a new 500E and have just received an 18.5" Cylinder barrel also. It makes the light little gun much handier, and I can't wait to try it out!

My wife is petite and recoil shy, so the 500E may be the only shotgun she can handle and fire. She found my 870 in 20ga. heavy and difficult (older 870 on the 12ga receiver), and the recoil was too much.

I suggest keeping it as simple as possible, which will also mean a lighter, quicker shotgun. One wonderful thing about the Taurus Judge (although I'm not interested in one, myself) is that there's now a better array of defensive .410 ammo available. I like 2-1/2", because I get one more round in the magazine tube.

I think I'd start with some of the buck rounds with 3 000 buckshot (.36 caliber) pellets in a shell. More pellets generally means more recoil. You may also wish to try the 2-1/2" Brenneke slugs in your new Cylinder barrel.

I agree with those who say the best accessory is lots of practice ammo. Unfortunately, .410 factory birdshot's expensive, but it's also fairly cheap to load your own .410 shells. I have yet to get my wife out to the range with the .410, but I hope to introduce her to the .410 via some 2-1/2" birdshot rounds.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Last edited:
I should add that I'm also considering a .410 as a potential "trunk gun", with a folding stock. It would be the shortest and lightest Mossberg I can get, with the lightest, most compact ammo. I think I'll be able to carry it in a tennis racket bag.

If I try putting it together, I'll make sure to post pics!

Dirty Bob

@Dirty Bob make sure you are aware of the legalities of a folding stock shotgun in your area. Sometimes you can be in trouble esp if the gun is capable of firing when the stock in in the folded position.

What is it about a folding stock on a shotgun?

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Unless it's some silly local/state law.

Guns that can configured to fire under a certain length can be a problem in certain places due to local restrictions. My comment was more of a general warning to make sure he is is legal in his local area. Just don't want to see anyone caught with what some locality would view as a SBS or AOW do to overall length. Local definitions do not always coincide with federal and we all know there is some odd stuff out there just waiting to trip people up.

10-4. I just wasn't sure if there was something specific you were referring to, or ???

@Dirty Bob make sure you are aware of the legalities of a folding stock shotgun in your area. Sometimes you can be in trouble esp if the gun is capable of firing when the stock in in the folded position.

Thank you for the heads-up; I like that you and other forum members seem to be looking out for each other. It's genuinely appreciated.

I have no intentions of going into AOW or SBR territory, and I plan to stay over 26" with the stock folded. Luckily, in Texas we can conceal a long gun -- loaded or unloaded -- legally. I tried a folding stock on a 20ga: it sucked. Poor ergos made what had been totally manageable recoil into something painful. My concern with a trunk gun is I want to be able to remove it from the vehicle discretely. I plan to never leave it in there overnight. I wonder what people with trunk guns like a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 do if they're in an accident. Will the tow truck guy be OK with what's obviously a large rifle, even if in a soft case?

I'm not a fan of folding stocks on shotguns, but it seems the easiest way to get a shotgun into a case or bag that isn't obviously a long gun. BTW, I don't intend to have my wife try a folding stock. A good hardwood stock that fits her will be much better for control, accuracy and shooting comfort.

Regards,
Dirty Bob

Last edited:
Back