• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

50578 - First Range Report

RMD

.22LR
After five days of fondling, disassembling, reassembling (no leftover parts - yeah!), and fondling some more, I finally got to put some rounds down range :D

As an HD tool, my goal was familiarizing myself with the feel of the weapon, using the bead, and patterns of various loads.

b23a406cbe345bde389dee1371f7ed08_zpsc2a2efd9.jpg

One of my favorite "value" rounds is Fiocchi's low recoil 00 buck; picked up a ton for less than $.50/each a while back. The nickel plating seems to keep the spread nice and tight compared to other low-cost 00. Here's a typical (~2.5 in.) spread from 15 ft

5222c943-07ac-4a37-9dee-995f6de8ef4d_zps4e1ffef1.jpg

Hard to find decent 00 now, but I did pick up an 80-round can of its "high velocity" brother last week. Similar pattern @ 15 ft:

8d1426a87d37974bc7bd5887c102517c_zpsf6c79f90.jpg

These patterns were very similar to the IC choke on my ChiCom 982. I was curious if the high tech wad loads (Federal Premium Defense / Hornady Critical Defense / Federal Tactical) would also look the same. They did.

Here's the LE13200 at 15 ft:

dd4b454cfc7423fed7c589de421688f8_zps8ef1625c.jpg

at 21 ft:

5264f9ca1ba34469285e23f3fcc28b24_zpsa4ade7fc.jpg

and at 30 ft. (longest shot I can take in my house)

8cdb7e358346f478f95c1273fad48a26_zps528d5306.jpg

I really, really like this gun!

LOP is a bit long, so I'm going to try the Hogue 12". (The Akita looks interesting & the 6-position Talon just looks plain cool, but I tend to stay as close to stock as possible with my HD tools, so Hogue it is...for now) :D

Awesome! I can see how happy you are from the pictures of the targets! :lol:
I hear you haven't shot them Black Magic Mags yet... tisk tisk.. you are missing out on the best part! lol

Itsricmo said:
I hear you haven't shot them Black Magic Mags yet... tisk tisk.. you are missing out on the best part! lol

I did put one down range @ 25 yards. Nice hole about 2 inches off the bulls-eye.

I only have a few left though and they probably won't be in the rotation when I put the pistol grip on :)

Outstanding!

Glad to see you're taking the time to familiarize yourself with how your weapon performs with different loads. This knowledge can make all the difference when it really matters. Nicely done Sir...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Outstanding!

Glad to see you're taking the time to familiarize yourself with how your weapon performs with different loads. This knowledge can make all the difference when it really matters. Nicely done Sir...

Heck yeah! Since I'm responsible for everything that leaves the barrel, it's nice to know where they'll go :)

good stuff man. How did those winchester ranger slugs perform? Ive seen them around but havent shot them yet.
The flightcontrol stuff is the Cadillac of buck shot when it comes to pattern. Wish i could get my hands on some, but not for awhile with how ammo is around here.

ZombieHunterD said:
good stuff man. How did those winchester ranger slugs perform? Ive seen them around but havent shot them yet.
The flightcontrol stuff is the Cadillac of buck shot when it comes to pattern. Wish i could get my hands on some, but not for awhile with how ammo is around here.

They did well - little high and right from 25 yards (longest I can go at this indoor rang), but I'm blaming that on me as this was my first time using a bead to aim. I got a few boxes about a year ago and they're mainly for close-in work anyway. You know, like zombies in cars and such :)

I know what you mean about finding anything decent right now. Hard enough to find plain jane, much less "premium". Got both those loads from SGAmmo about a year ago for about $.80/each.

RMD said:
Itsricmo said:

I did put one down range @ 25 yards. Nice hole about 2 inches off the bulls-eye.

I only have a few left though and they probably won't be in the rotation when I put the pistol grip on :)

Pssh... come on now!!! :lol: You will only need minor surgery to reattach your limb :D

Itsricmo said:
RMD said:
Itsricmo said:

Pssh... come on now!!! :lol: You will only need minor surgery to reattach your limb :D

Maybe I'll strap on a bowling glove and one-hand it :cool:

HA! I once did a nice one hander and my slide wan't locked all the way forward... almost did a complete cycle lol.. a little forward thrust and the next shell was in the chamber :p

Back