• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

5500 mk2 cycle problem

savage99f

Copper BB
I have a 5500 mk2 and it does not cycle with either a magnum barrel (.060 port hole) or the non magnum barrel(.073 port hole)both holes are clear ...gun fires first shell and does nothing after that ...I can manually eject the spent round and load the next round with no binding or problems ...the action seems smppth...the gas section is all there (4 parts ) all in good shape assembled like the picture I have the inner ring locked inside the outer ring and the outer ring is attached to the enertia weight ...I have used 1600 fps slugs and # 6 and #4 shot with both barrels and no cycling with either one ...I have the rings facing the way the pic shows ....would appreciate some help thanks for the help and this forum Pat

Attachments

• ring order.jpg
    ring order.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 96
I don't have an answer for you but someone should later today...good luck.

Hi Pat. Welcome to the forum from NY. Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm not too sure how many 5500mk2 owners are around MO.
You can give Havlin a call. They are the experts on discontinued Mossy's. (636) 937-6401

Keep us posted.

tried havlin and they were not able to help...I talked with him about the assembly of the gas rings and it appears I have them installed correctly ..does any one know the diameter of the gas port hole in the non magnum barrel ...the one barrel is a smooth bore slug barrel (port hole .073) and is just marked 2 3/4 and 3" (it does not say magnum) the other barrel has the screw in chokes and is marked 2 3/4 and 3" Magnum (port hole .062)...my measurement for the port holes is aprox as I used drill bits to slide in the holes then measured the bits with my micrometer. I would like to know the size of the non magnum port hole ...I dont really plan on using magnum ammo with the slug barrel and would like to get it working with lighter slug loads (aprox 1200 fps)...thanks Pat

got info that the 2 3/4 gas port is .1082 for the light loads ....widened mine to .09 and the slide started to move upon firing ...but still not enough ...I will take it to .10 and see # 37 drill ...If that is not enough I will go to the # 36 drill which is about .1055(that is as big as I will go for now ...will try factory slug (Remington slugsters 1560 fps )...my other barrel which is a magnum barrel is .060 and I will leave that for magnum ...I need to get a box of 3" magnum and see how they shoot in the .060 barrel ...they should cycle the gun ....if not then there may be something other than port size wrong with the gun ...the other barrel that I drilled out to .10 hopefully will work with the 2 3/4 regular shells (which is all I shoot will report back soon )destroyed the front axle on my truck the first day of the deer season .....is that murphy's law or WHAT ...will have to get another used truck fast ...the 1995 would cost to much to fix ....

Sounds like you're gettin' the cycle problem fixed. :)

Better luck with the truck.
How'd you do deer hunting?

got it to cycle !!!!!!!!! the final drilling was .104 and that fires the factory slugs and also the 1200 fps slugs I loaded ....it (gas port) was orriginally .074 and is now .1048...hope to get a truck tomorrow as the old ford is done ...me and the boys got a few (deer) so far but not having my truck to carry the 3 tree stands and the rest of ther stuff you need it is tough ...hope to be back out there friday morning and the weekend ...with a new truck ..I will need to get a box of 3" magnum and see if the other Magnum barrel (with a .060 hole )cycles ...that barrel says magnum on it and I dont want to drill it out in case someday someone goes to use a magnum shell when it is drilled out for light loads ...if you use a magnum round when it is drilled out to the larger size the action will cycle to fast a nd may damage the gun......the smooth bore slug barrel I drilled out is not marked magnum (it says 2 3/4 and 3 " shalls)....it shot great and cycled good ...I need to take it apart and break out the small files and smooth and round offf some sharp edges and I think it will be smoothhhh ha ha ....wow did I enjoy working through this problem ..thanks for the wealth of info you can get online

If anyone wants to talk about the 5500 mk2 send me a pm and I will tell you the stuff I found .....I learned quiote a bit about this gun while trying to fix this issue...I also have the manual in PDF Pat

Glad you got it figured out Pat and thanks for sharing the info. That's one reason I love this site. :D

savage99f said:
If anyone wants to talk about the 5500 mk2 send me a pm and I will tell you the stuff I found .....I learned quiote a bit about this gun while trying to fix this issue...I also have the manual in PDF Pat

I would love to talk about the 5500 MK II if you have time.

Back