• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590: bayonet fit problems?

SNAFU

Copper BB
Hello all:

I'm ready to buy a bayonet for my 590 Persuader #50663.

From what I've read, Ontario brand bayonets are highly recommended.

However, looking at reviews of the Ontario M9 and M7 bayonets on Amazon, it seems there are fit problems with non mil-spec 590s.

Apparently, the bayonet handles are too long -- therefore, you need a spacer for the magazine cap, so the bayonet seats properly.

One poster suggested a generic washer as a spacer.

Another poster suggested a GG&G Looped Front Sling Attachment as a spacer. But he also said the bottom of the GG&G sling attachment rubs the knife handle, so he had to sand the attachment down with a belt sander, de-burr with a file, then paint the bare metal.

In addition, many photos on the net show 590s with bayonets attached ... but often the bayonets look crooked, with the tip of the bayonet angled noticeably toward the shotgun's muzzle. At least to my eyes.

Anyone have comments on this?

Also, I've seen two different M7 bayonets offered by Ontario -- 8185 and 6277. Which is best?

Thanks for any info.

SNAFU said:
Hello all:

I'm ready to buy a bayonet for my 590 Persuader #50663.

From what I've read, Ontario brand bayonets are highly recommended.

However, looking at reviews of the Ontario M9 and M7 bayonets on Amazon, it seems there are fit problems with non mil-spec 590s.

Apparently, the bayonet handles are too long -- therefore, you need a spacer for the magazine cap, so the bayonet seats properly.

One poster suggested a generic washer as a spacer.

Another poster suggested a GG&G Looped Front Sling Attachment. But he also said the bottom of the GG&G sling attachment loop rubs into the plastic on the knife, so he had to sand it down a with a belt sander, de-burr with a file, then paint the bare metal.

In addition, many photos on the net show 590s with bayonets attached ... but the bayonets look crooked, with the tip of the bayonet angled noticeably toward the muzzle.

Anyone have a comment on this?

Also, I've seen two different M7 bayonets offered by Ontatio -- 8185 and 6277. Which is best?

Thanks for any info.

Mind if I ask a question? Why do you want a bayonet on a shotgun? Planning on fighting in the trenches? Also, have you had bayonet training in the military or otherwise? ;) :mrgreen:

GunnyGene said:
Why do you want a bayonet on a shotgun?

Well, I live in a REALLY bad neighborhood.

Kidding.

Just want to add take advantage of the bayo lug for S&G. Not planning on clearing any trenches ... at least, not any time soon. :D

SNAFU said:
GunnyGene said:
Why do you want a bayonet on a shotgun?

Well, I live in a REALLY bad neighborhood.

Kidding. :D

Just want to add take advantage of the bayo lug for S&G. Not planning on clearing any trenches ... at least, not any time soon.

S&G? Help me out with that. Too many acronyms to keep up with.

Good Evening Snafu,

Thanks for the thread. I just joined up myself and I do plan on running a Bayonet on my A1. So first off, I can't comment on your specific situation on non mil spec fit. However, I'm sure there are others on the site who have at least come across some helpful information.

As far as Ontario products are concerned, I raised an eyebrow this evening on the cost of said items. Take a look for yourself online. The price points that I've seen for the Bayo and the scabbard is right at the 200.00 mark. So even if an owner can afford it there is little doubt that it can be " spent " in other ways. So then, my solution for me is this. I will buy or trade my way into one rather than pay the presently exaggerated price. That of course is no reflection on anyone else's priorities, budget, or tactics.

I support you man. I hope someone chimes in here for you.

RBA

I got an Ontario 494 M7 and it fits perfectly.
I have read that the M7's fit much better than the newer M9 style.

Lateck,

lateck said:
I got an Ontario 494 M7 and it fits perfectly. I have read that the M7's fit much better than the newer M9 style. Lateck,

Thanks for the info.

Which 590 variant do you have?

Oh the regret I have from back when I owned a 590. I never obtained a bayonet for it and I should have. Why? Because I could have. Then I got an AR15 but with the longer M4gery style barrel (16inch min stupid NFA law :( ) a bayonet wouldn't work right so I never bothered then either. Two weapons with bayonet lugs that I never utilized. Should be a crime right? So yes, sheeits and giggles are perfectly good reasons to populate that lug. Don't be like me and regret it later. :D Get that bayo lug to good usage. If I ever purchase something again with a bayo lug I intend to follow this S&G method for sure.

Good luck with your search. I know some guys dremel the bayo handle a bit for a better fit but not sure if you want to do that or not to a otherwise perfectly good bayo. Damned things are not cheap usually.

jgwills said:
A knife shoved into the muzzle end, viola a bayonet! Do I get a gold star or something?

Your choice. Gold Star

images

Or Something:
SI-Cover-Model-Kate-Upton-at-Pure-Nightclub-05.jpg

jgwills said:
A knife shoved into the muzzle end, viola a bayonet! Do I get a gold star or something?

UHHH... then you could shoot it out of the barrel when not needed anymore... 590 Bowie launchers! :D

SNAFU said:
lateck said:
I got an Ontario 494 M7 and it fits perfectly. I have read that the M7's fit much better than the newer M9 style. Lateck,

Thanks for the info.

Which 590 variant do you have?

The 494, 6 3/4" model. I got it from Midway.

Lateck,

Hello all, I'm very new to this form and just happened to stumble upon it. If you could help me out it would be great. I've noticed that the 590A1 is the only mossberg Shotgun to have a bayonet lug. I just picked up the 590 flex 20in and was wondering if it was possible to put a 590A1 barrel on it to have the bayonet lug.... It seemed like a cool thing to have for S&G so if it was possible why not try it!?

Howdy Prepper,

As long as the A1 barrel is the same length as your current set-up you should be able to swap it without any issues...

Back