• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 ghost ring front sight blade replacement?

Larry23433

.270 WIN
I picked up a beautiful used 590A1 with the ghost ring sights the other day that has one tiny issue. The little wedge piece (the actual sight blade) on the front sight ramp missing. I've been searching and searching and all I can find is the entire ghost ring "kit" which is around $120 bucks. Very frustrating when all I need is the cheesy $5 dollar blade lol. I even contacted Mossberg directly as they are always helpful but even they said it was currently unavailable.

Anywhoozle... can anyone point my in a good direction to find this dang thing?

I was going to say XS Sights but I just checked their website and I don’t see that they sell at least just the front sight anymore. Too bad I have one on my 590A1.

I ordered the meprolight one. $40 bucks was a little steep but everything costs a friggin fortune anymore. I'm loctiting the crap out of it so it doesn't end up lost like the original.

I'm not sure about this blade but you'll find other dovetails that will only go in from one direction because of how they are cut.

If the instructions don't say you might use a caliper to measure each end to see if there is a size difference.

If cut this way it should go in easy at first but really tighten up as you seat it. If you're worried about it after you seat it then put a single drop of blue locktite on the edge of the sight where the two edges match up. You want to be able to adjust it if needed depending on how much adjustment you have on your rear sight.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip! I think these install from the right side but I will definitely check. I've seen some have a tiny set screw in the front to lock it down but mine doesn't for some reason.

I just talked to Defender Tactical today and they sell a red dot mount that has co-witness iron sights. The guy was super helpful and gave me the part numbers needed so the rear sight will match factory front sight. So when I'm all done I should be able to mount my swampfox red dot and still have full co-witness iron sights! Woohoo!

New sight blade came today. Either my sight base was messed up or it wasn't the right size dovetail but whatever I made it work. Needed to use a tiny triangle file to open up the dovetail on the base and then I made a makeshift sight pusher with my shop press to get it in. No amount of tapping with a brass hammer and punch was gonna work. Checked alignment with my factory rear ghost ring and it was good enough for government work. Waiting on the red dot co-witness mount now to finish it up.

Apex, that fitting is not uncommon because there really isn't a industry wide standard for dovetails and each manufacture makes them approximately the same but never to an exact common standard. A lot of it is the tooling they use and as it wears the tolerances change but these dovetails are not critical in the larger scheme of things. But using a small triangle file is the way to go and I'm glad it worked out. And as we discussed earlier it's a press fit to get the proper alignment.

Good on you!

Regards

Back