• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Main points left out in 500 vs 590 model comparison for newbees!

Hello Fellow Mossberg owners. I am a new member form the North - Canada; Greetings to you all.
I thought my first post should be a helpful post to those looking to decide on a Mossberg shotgun model.
I searched high and low and could not find this info anywhere until I purchased my 590 model.
All 500 vs 590 vs 590A1 info had the following well intentioned misinformation including customer service at Mossberg.
I was under the understanding that the only difference between the 500 vs 590(not 590A1) was the Remington-Type magazine tube(more shells) and barrel mounting system.
I read and was told numerous times that only the 590A1 had a heavy walled barrel, but the 590 had the same barrel as the 500 along with the same plastic trigger guard and safety tab cover.
The Mossberg 590 has a polymer trigger guard and safety tab and a heavy walled barrel - not as heavy as the 590a1, which is better in my opinion since it's not for navy ship use as the A1

Here are the specs listed on my 590 special purpose, sticker, found on the but stock out of the box.

590 Special Purpose, 12 gauge, 9 shot, 3" chamber
*meets or exceeds U.S Government Mil-S-3443 shotgun performance requirements
*Chambers 2 1/2" and 3" factory-loaded ammunition interchangeably
*Dual extractors, twin action bars, steel to steel lock up
*Front bead or Ghost Ring sights and fixed cylinder-choke
*Compact 20" heavy-walled barrel
*Anti-jam elevator for the ultimate in reliability
*Available with special speedfeed or black synthetic stock
*top-mounted safety for left or right-handed shooters
*Includes free gun lock and 10 year limited warranty

The heavy walled barrel I was told by mossberg sales is only on the 590A1, obviously wrong.
So anyone who does not need the 590A1 weight, can rest assured the 590 does have a heavy walled barrel in comparison to the 500 and other shotguns.
Hope this helps.
P.S My model is a 2014.
Regards,
Mr. Draft beer

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.

Do you have a model number for yours? As posted numerous times here on the forum, Mossberg is nothing if not inconsistent. There are anomalies throughout the brand, several model numbers, distributor exclusives, anniversary editions, etc. that have features not commonly found on regularly published factory models. There are even model 500's that have heavy walled 590A1 barrels and the 590/835 mag caps. Seems Mossberg doesn't always like to color inside the lines. We appreciate the post though.

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of your 590. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.
Enjoy the site!
- L.E.S.

Thank you L.E.S.
Yes I have a model number: 50663
The gun shop even got the model name wrong on the reciept, they listed on the bill of sale as the persuader, but it's the Special Purpose modle, talk about inconstancies accross the board.

Thank you L.E.S.
Yes I have a model number: 50663
The gun shop even got the model name wrong on the reciept, they listed on the bill of sale as the persuader, but it's the Special Purpose modle, talk about inconstancies accross the board.

Yes Sir, the 50663 is one of them.

It is the exact same shotgun as my 590A1 model 51663, just without the metal trigger housing, 590A1 receiver roll mark, etc. When I ordered mine the local shop mistakenly ordered a 50663 and I spent about an hour in the store trying to convince the guy it was the wrong model...

You were right L.E.S with the inconstancies! The front sling swivel is on the cap! it's supposed to be on the bayonet attachment like the photo, I called and they are sending me a swivel, that is before I noticed my mag cap was different than the pictured model on the website - 50663 model

Was there a small yellow envelope in your box?

They usually hide the sling swivels in there for some reason...

Yes Sir, the 50663 is one of them.

It is the exact same shotgun as my 590A1 model 51663, just without the metal trigger housing, 590A1 receiver roll mark, etc. When I ordered mine the local shop mistakenly ordered a 50663 and I spent about an hour in the store trying to convince the guy it was the wrong model...
L.E.S, I have a question, will Mossberg void my warranty because the model on the receipt is different than the one I have? The Gun shop listed it as a persuader and mine is the special purpose?
Thank you.

Not gonna matter.

Mossberg doesn't require any proof of purchase or product registration for warranty work. We've had members send in 20 year old guns they bought used for factory repair and Mossberg has taken care of them...

Howdy and welcome to the club. :D
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13
smiley-greet013.gif

Back