• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Shotgun Videos - Why, how and what?

Spanky

Hey guys, I've seen a lot of posts on here asking about what shotgun to get or what the differences are. Back in July, I purchase my first gun which happened to be a Mossberg 590 and it was only after a TON of research in both the gun and accessories for it. Now that I've had it a few months, I wanted to make a few videos outlining my choices and the reasons for them. I'm far from a professional videographer but I'm not here to look cool or crap on other people, I just made these to try and help answer some questions.

I've made a YouTube playlist with 16 parts, all original content recorded by myself. Take a look and let me know what you think :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAvOQctq4-nqhndc-JIgEybP7v_v_q6Wd

Only mistake I've caught so far was something in video 5 about the .45 not being the best or perfect or something.

I believe what you meant to say is;
"The .45 is perfect and is the best but since we're talking about shotguns..."

You get a pass this time. :)

I too have a Meprolight bead, though not the GRS style. I can see mine across the room and have always felt it was the best upgrade I ever put on my 500. It's come in handy at night on a few occasions now.

I have heard of some beads looking dim. You may be able to contact them and see if there's anything they can do or are willing to do. I can't guarantee it at all but getting a dim bead happens occasionally.

Bah, I won't dive into the whole handgun caliber thing but rather suggest to anyone curious about handgun calibers to carefully look at unbiased tests.

Final video is uploading now, it's about the Magpul cantilever mount and v-block & rings to mount a flashlight.

As far as the Meprolight, it's hard to say. When I get in bed at night, I can look over at my shelf and see the glow. So, in a mostly dark room, I can see it. It doesn't offer much use in that case since I can't see the rear sight without turning the flashlight on and then the front sight is partially illuminated by the flashlight. Maybe mine's just dim but it's hard to say. I can't take a picture and have it accurately represent the light output, that's easily manipulated in the camera settings. It's hard to say without comparing it to another set. Even if it doesn't provide me as much night time functionality as I'd hoped, it's nicer than the factory orange strip. Now there's a dot, you center that dot in the rear ring and then center it on your target then boom time. It's more natural.

Bah, I won't dive into the whole handgun caliber thing but rather suggest to anyone curious about handgun calibers to carefully look at unbiased tests.

Without getting off topic, since I haven't watched you videos yet... Here are my .02 Cents on semi auto handgun calibers:

... They all suck at killing what you're shooting at. Even the weakest 55grn .223 still has almost 3 times the power of .45ACP. I say choose what you can shoot well and hit with... and leave it to the guys with big heads @Rossignol to argue about what caliber is best;)

That actually is more on topic. This shotgun was my first gun purchase but I was originally going to get a pistol. As I mention in the videos, a bigger need for me was woods defense against larger critters. I do want a 9mm pistol but a bear or mountain lion, if motivated, would likely still come after you if shot with a 9mm. I then went through the thought process of bigger caliber, jumping up to a .357 magnum but realized those are significantly more expensive and so is the ammo. I came around to the idea of a shotgun that is so utterly versatile and powerful, it will out-gun any pistol.

Without getting off topic, since I haven't watched you videos yet... Here are my .02 Cents on semi auto handgun calibers:

... They all suck at killing what you're shooting at. Even the weakest 55grn .223 still has almost 3 times the power of .45ACP. I say choose what you can shoot well and hit with... and leave it to the guys with big heads @Rossignol to argue about what caliber is best;)

Indeed, there is a video of a One on One Police shootout with a suspect. There were multiple magazine reloads by the police officer who finally killed the bad guy with a head shot. The Police officer assumed he missed the guy for like three clips worth(and yes I'm using the word clip, get over it) ;-)

In the end, the guy had been hit 17 times with a .45. Finally got a real hit on the CNS and stopped the guy. I'm thinking in the old days when a cop had only 6 shots, he may have been more inclined to aim a bit more, but I don't know.

I'm very cognizant of the fact that I normally carry a DA only J-frame with 5 .38 +P rounds and that I will have to slow down and make them count.

One good 9mm is better than 16 poorly placed .40's or .45s.

I spent decades working on Ambulances(Paramedic), in ER's/ICUs (RN) and Operating rooms at the level of Anesthetist at the 2nd busiest hospital in the country and one of the most violent cities in the US. I've seen a whole lot of people die and a lot more survive. I've seen them all the way from the ones who never get to the hospital because they are DRT(Dead Rite There), to the ones who are successfully or unsuccessfully brought to the hospital, to treating them with hours of surgical intervention/resuscitation and treating them post operatively. Or bagging and tagging and wheeling into the morgue. The only part I haven't done is shoot one, hoping to skip that experience in this lifetime.

Highest ranking killers IME? AR, AK, Mini 14, shotgun, some other weird ones like Hunting rifles(.308, 7mm, 270, etc)

Lowest ranking? ALL handguns, not very efficient killers in most peoples hands

Intra-oral 12 ga, real crowd pleaser there...

I'll never forget the first guy I saw killed with a Mini 14. He was shot within 10-20 feet or so dead center in the chest, and that was the end of that. Barely any blood at all. Most handgun encounters are not fatal. Maybe 30% or less

An AK is very devastating no matter where it hits you.

I'm making a study of these things presently/personally because I am thinking of putting together some Brown Bear defense weapons for an Alaska fishing trip.

Shotgun with Hardcast slugs is on my list as are the S&W 460 Magnum and Glock 40 MOS in 10mm, all will be Hardcast projectiles

And to the OP, thanx for the Video series, you spent some time here.

Last edited:
Back