• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 with a factory pistol grip

MikeS

Copper BB
Hello folks, I picked up a lightly used 590 for a great price. It came from the factory with a pistol grip, has the American flag on the receiver.

I want to remove the pistol grip and replace it with an ATI 6 position adjustable stock.

The pistol grip is attached with a 1/4" Allen(hex) screw. I can't get it loose. I'm guessing they used
loc-tite, or some such. I'm trying the old lefty loosey. It wouldn't be reverse threaded, would it?

Any suggestions on getting this pistol grip off?

Welcome aboard Mike!

Congrats on finding the elusive "590 American". This was a distributor exclusive made in a very limited run. As far as the stock screw goes you're turning it the correct way, they're just stubborn sometimes. Applying heat to the rear of the receiver and/or giving the screw a couple taps on the head have worked for many of us. Give it a go and let us know if you're still having an issue...

Thanks for the info. Now I know why I couldn't find this on Mossberg's website. A buddy just bought one of these off of Gunbroker. He told me I'm the guinea pig, lucky me :)

You're welcome.

I've had mine for a few years now and it's a helluva shooter. Keep us posted on that stock screw...

I Got R Done! Used a hammer and a punch just a bit smaller than .25", gave er a few love tap. Still didn't budge, so I gave her a few more with a bit more English to it. Still didn't budge so I dug out the old 140W elec. soldering iron and heated her up some. Kept feeling the pistol grip to make sure she wasn't getting to hot. Got the bolt pretty warm and gave er 2 more taps. Then I applied good strong steady pressure with the 1/4" key, she finally broke loose.

Waiting on parts to do my buddies. Gonna cost him a 6 pack.

Back