• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 chamber and forcing cone.......what happened?

opinions on the condition of this forcing cone? In-between the red lines is what I am mostly worried about.........Barrel was sent off to vang comp for full VCS treatment. I got the barrel back just in time to go camp for memorial weekend. I fired off eight rounds of federal #1 with flight control on my way up to the camp site. Then I pulled everything apart to take a closer look at what they actually did as I was in amazement and found this.....Im not on here to bash vang comp at all. I will continue to send all of my shotguns there for work. Im just wondering what could have happened during the process for it to look like that normally its shiny and not all pitted and cracked looking.......The barrel was new and unfired before it went in. The barrel is back en route to vang comp, and im 100% sure they will fix it and or replace it if it needs replaced. Could it be a Mossberg issue? Air pockets? something?

IMG_0357.JPG

Last edited:
I'm curious, is that right at the chamber?

That's an excellent picture by the way.

Note sure but the "crack" around the circumference is troubling to me. Curious to see what they say.

I took that pic with my iPhone lol. Yeah the pic is from the chamber end looking at the forcing cone which is between the red lines along with that mark to the left on the picture. Reemer not straight or dragged a chip around? As for the "cracked area" I have no clue what would cause that at all.

Ya very well could have been there before machining. It was a brand new barrel when I sent it in, but that doesn't mean anything either. Hmmmmm makes me wonder too. You would have thought they would have noticed something like that.....I'm sure they were busy and ready for a long weekend, no big deal $hit happens!

Ya very well could have been there before machining. It was a brand new barrel when I sent it in, but that doesn't mean anything either. Hmmmmm makes me wonder too. You would have thought they would have noticed something like that.....I'm sure they were busy and ready for a long weekend, no big deal $hit happens!
Mossberg sends out firearms with no sights sometimes.......just sayn'

unless you mean Hans and his boys.....they probably should have noticed.

In reality they could have noticed and if it was deemed safe they probably let it go, not really going to affect the function of the forcing cone, especially once it gets filled with plastic and or lead

Mossberg sends out firearms with no sights sometimes.......just sayn'

unless you mean Hans and his boys.....they probably should have noticed.

In reality they could have noticed and if it was deemed safe they probably let it go, not really going to affect the function of the forcing cone, especially once it gets filled with plastic and or lead

Yeah I know mossbergs QC sucks lol.......I figured that vang comp would inspect it to see if it was worth doing $315 worth of work to, and maybe they didn't catch it or maybe it happened in during the process, maybe its a Mossberg barrel imperfection........I just hope it all works out. That being said I am not going to accept a forcing cone that looks like that. If I have to get a new barrel from Mossberg and send it back to vang comp I will.........I hope it can be easily and safely fixed.

Alrighty I figure its time for an update as far is this goes (See build thread for actual build updates as well) Anywho......Vang comp sent me a notification saying that they think is was an imperfection in the barrel before machining, although it could have happened from machining but its highly unlikely. Im assuming there is no way to prove one way or the other BUT I believe it was there before machining and it uncovered the flaw. Anyway they recut the forcing cone and fixed the issue. Now I wait for the barrel ship to me..........Ill post pics of it once I get it in. IM READY TO SHOOT!

Sweet. Glad the made it right regardless of fault. Thats good CS.

Back