• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 first cleaning

I'm finally getting around to cleaning my new 590A1. I'm using Hoppes #9 and M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX. I just started and have already run into a couple of surprises. The first thing was how dirty the barrel was. I'd dipped two patches in the #9 and on the first run through the barrel they came out the other end totally black. I've never seen the barrel of a new firearm this dirty. Makes me wonder if someone had it out shooting before I got it, or is this more normal than I think? The second thing was the Mossberg stamp on the barrel calls it a Model 590, not 590A1. This is a heavier barrel than the one I had on my Persuader and it does have a bayonet lug so I'm sure it's right but why would it be stamped that way?

My 'a1' was absolutely filthy when I picked it up.

The entire shotgun was caked inside and out with grime and residue from manufacturing. Here's a post from a while back with info on the barrel roll marks...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The 'breacher' barrels on 500 and 590 models are heavy walled 590a1 barrels as well. I can't tell you how your barrel is marked, but my 20" 590a1 and all others I've seen are plainly marked '590' on the side of the barrel. Here are the roll marks on my factory 590a1, model 51663...

Receiver...

Barrel...

The barrel roll marks are the exact same on my 590 with the breacher barrel...

As I understand it the 18.5" 590a1 heavy barrels are not marked with a model number at all...

Mine is stamped exactly like in the two photographs you posted. And yeah, this barrel is filthy and not just the inside, the outside is covered in some stickiness that is quite uncooperative about being removed. A regular shop cloth well dampened in #9 isn't doing much of a job removing the gunk but IS leaving little bits of cloth behind when I rub down the barrel. Sure am glad I'll only have to deal with this once, I'd never dream of letting it get this dirty again.

A little Birchwood Casey Powder Blast did the trick on my first cleaning. That stuff cuts through all kinds of grime...

This is turning into more of a project than I expected, now I'm having a hard time removing the trigger housing. I get the pin out and try to pull the trigger housing out and it moves less than a quarter inch and won't budge past that. I've done a little digging and it turns out to be a common "problem", and isn't anything major, just a little getting-to-know-you pain. Apparently there is another pin on the back side of that trigger housing that sometimes isn't flush and it causes it to get caught up on the stock. It should just be a matter of tapping that pin flush but I have to get that darn trigger housing out first before I can do it. Any suggestions? That thing ain't budging.

Edit: I finally got it out and that pin was only very slightly out of place. Used the plastic head of a combination hammer to tap it fully flush. Even after cleaning and oiling the trigger housing it's awfully tight but nothing like it was and I imagine it'll get better after future disassemblys.

The bore was dirty on mine too. It took several attempts over a couple of days to get it reasonably clean. I think the problem is that the bore and chamber are so rough. My chamber had some rust in it too.

I just got my gun back from VCS this week. They were having trouble with refinishing. They thought it might have something to do with the forest fires. When I cleaned the bore the patches came out black again. Since they back-bored and lengthened the forcing cone I'm guessing this is finish that got into the bore. There's a lot of over-spray inside the receiver too. It's going to take a considerable amount of cleaning before I see what it looks like. It seems pretty rough at this point. I'd love to have a nice polished bore and chamber. Polished chambers make extraction so much smoother.

I bet you're glad to have it back home. Have fun cleaning it up again!

I'd heard about there sometimes being some rust up in there but fortunately mine didn't have any. Cleaning the bore wasn't a problem like cleaning the outside of the barrel was, now the bore is as clean and smooth as I could want. I eventually got all the grime off the exterior too but it took some patience. The chamber was a little dirty but nothing like the barrel was and there was no rust anywhere. When I was finished cleaning and oiling I mounted a TacStar six-shell side saddle, using some blue Loctite so those screws hopefully won't back out on me. Loaded up with 15 rounds of buckshot she's a heavy beast!

Matildawithsidesaddle_zps693474e2.jpg

kwizzer said:
I'm finally getting around to cleaning my new 590A1. I'm using Hoppes #9 and M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX. I just started and have already run into a couple of surprises. The first thing was how dirty the barrel was. I'd dipped two patches in the #9 and on the first run through the barrel they came out the other end totally black. I've never seen the barrel of a new firearm this dirty. Makes me wonder if someone had it out shooting before I got it, or is this more normal than I think? The second thing was the Mossberg stamp on the barrel calls it a Model 590, not 590A1. This is a heavier barrel than the one I had on my Persuader and it does have a bayonet lug so I'm sure it's right but why would it be stamped that way?

When I bought a 590A1 the barrel and receiver were not that dirty. I just took it barrel off a pulled the pins on the trigger group and cleaned all of the parts and lubed it up with some CLP. I used Hoppe's #9 for the barrel and did a light coating of the barrel with CLP.

I have an 18.5" 590A1 and says 590 on bottom of the receiver. It does say M590A1 on the side of the receiver. I just have a bead site on my shotgun which is fine since I only use it for HD.

Can you buy a 590A1 without the heavy barrel? I know mine is a heavy barrel as well.

Hi Folks:

This is my first post, my first Mossberg, and today is my first time cleaning my 590a1. The gun was filthy from the manufacturing process, and I used Birchwood Casey's "Gun Scrubber"; it was the only product that really cut through the gunk. I then applied a heavy coat of oil to the entire gun, let it sit for a few hours, and then wiped it down. The end result was quite good. I found the action was a bit stiff, so I used a bit of liquid gun grease on the appropriate areas, and all is well.

As an aside, there was rust on the ghost ring aperture, and inside the barrel near the upper receiver.

Best,
Tom

welcome from NY and congrats on your new Mossy. you get a chance post a pic or two. :)

My first disassembly was a pain. Trigger house didn't budge. Getting it back together was equally a pain. 2k rounds and 5 cleanings later its butter.

Mine was also dirty. Slip 2000 degreaser cuts through a lot of grime

toms said:
Hi Folks:

This is my first post, my first Mossberg, and today is my first time cleaning my 590a1. The gun was filthy from the manufacturing process, and I used Birchwood Casey's "Gun Scrubber"; it was the only product that really cut through the gunk. I then applied a heavy coat of oil to the entire gun, let it sit for a few hours, and then wiped it down. The end result was quite good. I found the action was a bit stiff, so I used a bit of liquid gun grease on the appropriate areas, and all is well.

As an aside, there was rust on the ghost ring aperture, and inside the barrel near the upper receiver.

Best,
Tom
Damn....what a joke, theyre still sending out barrels with rust in the chambers. I had two with the same problem. Took more then a few times to get mine right.

Back