• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Forend for shorter arms mod?

So far loving the info gained from this website. Going to be ordering a Hogue 12" LOP Stock and forend sometime this summer. I know it will work on my 590A1 18.5 as is.

BUT?

Just wondering if this has ever been tried this yet?

Can a Hogue forend be modifed to use an shorter action tube ( 6 1/2" - 6 3/4" ) instead of the longer ( 7 5/8" - 7 3/4" ) tube the 590a1 comes with?

I know it would have to overlap the reciever some in the open postion, and that it could hinder the use of a side saddle on the receiver. But with someone with shorter arms like myself the need for more control without having to reach so far exceeds the need for a side saddle.

I'm already using the mossberg syn stock cut down to 12" but I still have a hard time reaching the forend compared to my 870WM or friends 500A field combo.

If it hasnt been tried I think im gonna have to order a short action tube and hogue forend and go to town with the dremal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this any advise or thoughts are welcome.

Hogue has an adapter nut that'll allow their forend to mount on the shorter tube assembly...

Forend Adapter Nut for Mossberg

However, this essentially keeps the forend in the same position as the longer slide tube and won't accomplish what you're asking about if I'm understanding correctly. I don't have a Hogue forend to look at, but it's possible that you could shorten it from the rear to some degree depending on how much extra material is there before you get to the internal structure. Don't think anyone on the board has tried this yet...

I would think just getting a short LOP stock like the 12" Hogue would help someone with shorter arms. You could combine that with installing a forend with a bottom rail, and then installing a vertical grip on the very back/bottom portion of that forend so that your reach doesn't have to extend as far when cycling the action.

Back