• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590a1: gg&g follower problem

PERI

.22LR
I tried my new gg&g follower and I have a problem when the gun is tilted down (barrel) the shell gets pinched in the mag tube because the follower sits too far in. i haven't heard of this problem yet i could use some help. I put the stock one back in and tries over and over to get a shell caught snagged or pinched and couldn't do it the stock follower works perfect. The gg&g should be a lot better so obviously something is wrong

are you sure it's installed properly? Is the spring the correct length? The follower should sit flush. I have the GGG follower in mine and it's flawless.

yeah its installed fine, springs good, its as far as it goes.yeah its noit flush im trying to post a pic. perhaps they sent me one for the 870 im thinking

OK. in my head I felt you installed it backwards. Give GGG a call and tell them your issue. I got them on the phone once and they were really great people.

Question?

If the stock follower works just fine, why are you bothering with the one from GG&G? I run factory followers in all of my Mossbergs and have never had any issues...

because i want backup parts for my mossberg590. I hope you got backup parts. The stock follower would have been my backup:) im gonna try the gg&g on my buddy's 500. i got the 590a1. no point sending it back its still nicely built and the right bore size for the tube.

because i want backup parts for my mossberg590. I hope you got backup parts. The stock follower would have been my backup:) im gonna try the gg&g on my buddy's 500. i got the 590a1. no point sending it back its still nicely built and the right bore size for the tube.
The GGG follower fits all Mossberg 12g shotguns it's not selective to just the 590A1.

it will tell me if the problem is the follower or my gun though.

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. I had the same problem with the gg&g follower when used on my 590a1. My experience was thst its only when the last shell is being extracted and loaded. Sometimes depending on how far forward the shell ends up sitting in the evelator assembly as it is raised to chamber the round the front edge of the shell can get caught against the inside of the receiver and create a jam because the gg&g follower does not extend as far into the reciver as the stock one and leaves a little ledge or lip inside the receiver for the shell to catch on. It doesn't always happen but [as you said] when you tilt the shotgun barrel downwards it dramatically increases the chances of it happening. Not what I was looking for in an "upgraded" follower! I really want to use it and like the high visibility and durability elements, but between the periodic loading issue and the difficulties of getting it to work with a Wolff spring and maintain an 8 round magazine capacity, this was a very disappointing modification at best! Two things that would seem to prevent this could be 1) having the red insert section extend further into the receiver (like the stock one) to remove the "ledge" that causes it to catch or 2) *maybe* by machining/smoothing the inside of the receiver wall between the magazine tube and barrel, which wouldn't be worth the time and effort nor could i say that it wouldn't cause other problems. Of course there is a third option [per Lazy Eyed Sniper] which is to simply not use it which is what I chose. I'm surprised more haven't had this problem or posted about it. I had though maybe I had one that is out of spec but while I haven't directly compared it to another gg&g follower, based on what I see/can tell in photos (for what thats worth) mine appears at the same point into the receiver as others do...

Last edited:
Just saw this thread. I had the same problem with the follower when used on my 590a1. My experience was thst its only when the last shell is being extracted and loaded. Sometimes depending on how far forward the shell ends up sitting in the evelator assembly as it is raised to chamber the round the front edge of the shell can get caught against the inside of the receiver and create a jam because the gg&g follower does not extend as far into the reciver as the stock one and leaves a little ledge or lip inside the receiver for the shell to catch on. It doesn't always happen but [as you said] when you tilt the shotgun barrel downwards it dramatically increases the chances of it happening. Not what I was looking for in an "upgraded" follower! I really want to use it and like the high visibility and durability elements, but between the periodic loading issue and the difficulties if getting it to work with a Wolff spring and maintain an 8 round capacity, this was a very disappointing modification at best . Only two things would seem to prevent this would be 1) having the red insert section extend further into the receiver (like the stock one) to remove the "ledge" that causes it to catch or 2) *maybe* by machining/smoothing the inside of the receiver wall between the magazine tube and barrel, which wouldn't be worth the time and effort nor could i say that it wouldn't cause other problems. Of course there is a third option [per Lazy Eyed Sniper] which is to simply not use it which is what I chose. I am surprised more haven't had this problem or posted about it. I had though maybe I had one that is out of spec but while I haven't directly compared it to another gg&g follower, based on what I see/tell in photos (for what tgats worth) mine appears at the same point into the receiver as others do...
I ordered a green and a chrom brownells follower and it works well i have not fixed my gg&g one. Thanks for the post! I thought I was the only one with this problem. http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...ne-followers/shotgun-followers-prod20384.aspx

Hi,
I'm unsure of the advantage of a "follower". Can you guys help me?
So seemingly it is for visibility?

How is it any more visible than a brass casing?

Is it "feel" in the dark?

It seems that the follower and the shell with the primer have a feel all their own.

I think the GG&G has a hole in it, so I see how it would feel different. But the brownells seems like it would feel like the stock follower.

I'm not sure I get it other than "pimping" the shotgun. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Unless of course it messes up as evidenced in some of these posts.

How is it any more visible than a brass casing?

Bingo!

I've been asking that question of "hi-viz" followers for years. Been roaming the halls of this forum for a while and it seems a lot of folks end up buying this stuff to "improve" the function of their shotgun before they ever shoot it. I have five Mossberg shotguns and have never had an issue with the factory followers in them...

The stock follower in the 930 is a gritty binding pos. best thing ever was when I changed the follower.

the stock follower works just fine... never had any issues.

This^. I've been thinking about doing a follower write-up for a while, but here is the long and short of it:

Our big concerns with followers are

• Weight
  • Length
The factory stamped steel follower is one of the shortest and lightest available.

And don't even get me started on 'tacticool-tactile' followers with the hole in the center. They tend to jam up a perfectly good shotgun :mad:

Back