• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 in a 14inch barrel question....

LUGI

.270 WIN
What's up guys...need alittle help. I'm wanting to know how to go about getting a 590A1 with heavy barrel with a metal trigg guard/saftey with a 14inch barrel.

Need to know what model number...can't find one, also where to get one and how to go about getting one.

I'm in texas.

Do I have to pay $200.00 on top of the price of the gun itself?

A big thanks!!! :D

The only 590a1 SBS model number I know is 52689-0. It's the 14" with the GRS and Speed feed stock. As for the tax stamp, yes the $200 is in addition to the cost of the firearm.

Your best bet is to order direct from Mossberg. They are made by special order and there's a 5-6 week wait time for production. First you'll have to find a local dealer with a Class III license that is willing to accept the transfer. Then, buy the shotgun from Mossberg and have it sent to the dealer. Once you have the serial number you can fill out an NFA Form 4 for the transfer. You'll need your fingerprints, passport photos, your county Sheriff's approval, and a $200 check for the tax stamp before you send off your paperwork. It'll likely take 6-8 months for your paperwork to come back and if you're approved then you can take it home.

Another option is to buy an 18.5" 590a1 and either have the barrel cut to 14" or buy a factory 14" barrel from Mossberg by special order. This would first require filling out an NFA Form 1, jumping through the rest of the hoops above, plus the $200 tax stamp and the 6-8 month wait. If approved, you can have the barrel cut down or instal a factory 14" barrel...

Oh damn...they make it to where you don't even want to bother! :cry:

Ok..the hell with it, I'll stick with a 18 inch barre! :cry:

Thanks alot!!!
-Chris

No worries,

It's a bit expensive and time consuming for sure, likely intended to deter the everage shooter from going through the process. It just depends on if the added expense and the wait time are worth it to you...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
No worries,

It's a bit expensive and time consuming for sure, likely intended to deter the everage shooter from going through the process. It just depends on if the added expense and the wait time are worth it to you...

This is the truth, but I sure love my SBS 590a1, :twisted:

I'll be sending off my Form 1 next week!

My dealer placed the special order for my 14" barrel last Thursday and it'll remain in their custody until I get my stamp. I can't freakin wait! :D

Dang what a process. I've had some interest, but the heck with it. Not waitin, not spendin the cash, not doin the paperwork.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'll be sending off my Form 1 next week!

My dealer placed the special order for my 14" barrel last Thursday and it'll remain in their custody until I get my stamp. I can't freakin wait! :D

Congrats!!!

Congrats from me too! They actually had a section on the class 3 models in the 2011 catalog that I drool over on occasion. The piggy bank isn't their yet.

I have a co-worker that seems to be in class 3 limbo for a silencer application. It's been since spring but it seems like 2 years. He went to the local little town police chief for the sign off and was flat out told that their was no way that a silencer was legal to own. He didn't argue but went to the county sheriff who was all to happy to sign off as long as the fee was paid.

Thanks Mike!

I'm converting one of my existing shotguns, so aside from the cost of the tax stamp it's only gonna cost me about $175 for the conversion parts and shipping... :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks Mike!

I'm converting one of my existing shotguns, so aside from the cost of the tax stamp it's only gonna cost me about $175 for the conversion parts and shipping... :D
I can't wait til you get your stamp.... :mrgreen: you won't be able to keep a smile off your face the first day at the range.

Nah, not hijacked. We're just elaborating a bit. :D

I can't wait either KW. My 590 already makes me smile, so I know it's gonna be hard to contain myself after I get her converted...

KentuckyWindage said:
Sorry Lugi we totally hijacked your thread.

:lol:

It's all good....ain't a thing! We're learning in here. :D
It's funny....cause I had to go to the top of the page to see if it was the thread I made. :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Thanks Mike!

If I'm not mistaking you also have to get it engraved with you name and something else either on the barrel or receiver. Like if "you" was the manufacturer of the boooooooom stick.

That's correct.

The receiver must be engraved with the "manufacturer's" name, city, and state to a minimun depth of .003” with a height no smaller than 1/16”. Since I'm making my own, it'll be my information. The engraving can be done at any time prior to conversion. There are companies all over the country that specialize in NFA engraving, but I'm getting mine done at a local trophy shop that's done some work for me in the past...

I won't!

Although, I'd put money on all you guys forgetting about this thread before I get my stamp back... :lol:

Back