• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 shell stop problem

Echo

Copper BB
So I recently picked up a 590A1, which I'm sure you all know by now, because this is my third question about it haha.

The manual says that you should be able to empty the magazine by depressing the shell stop, which should allow each shell to spring out of the tube one by one. At least with my shotgun, that works only about 10% of the time. The shell that comes out usually stops when it hits the front edge of the elevator.

This is with a shell sitting normally in the magazine:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this is what it looks like after I've manually depressed the shell stop. The brass is caught on the very front edge of the elevator:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any ideas? I'd like to get this taken care of ASAP because I ship out to boot camp next month.

if you play with it a little does it pop out ? If so it should get better. Both my 500's were snaggy at first. I sat down and ran a bunch of shells out of the mag with my current 500 and after about a half hour it didnt snag them anymore

If I maintain pressure on the elevator as I depress the shell stop, it comes out fine but my fingers get crushed between the brass and front of the trigger group. There's lots of pressure in there when the tube is full.

Otherwise, no amount of playing gets it out.

Echo, what youre showing is the same thing mine does and is normal. lol, there is alot of pressure with a full mag! The first time I did it on my 590A1, it smashed my finger too! :lol:

Anyhow, it will hit that point where it stops, and then you kinda wiggle it up a bit and it comes loose. With practice you wont even think about it when you do it. I would sit sometimes in the evenings and load and unload the mag that way to get used to doing it and the feel.

Back