• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590a1 spare parts to keep on hand?

cable

Copper BB
With the idea of long term ownership of a 590a1, what parts are anticipated to wear out after a lot of use?

I like the idea of spare parts accessible to me in storage to ensure long term usage of the gun even in the event that repair service is no longer available.

Eg. Glock has something called the "Glock Survival Parts Kit" that contains commonly lost and worn out components.

http://www.glockstore.com/glock-survival-parts-kit

Is there such a thing for the Mossberg shotguns?

What parts do you suggest that i start stashing away?

LTB45 said:
longknives said:

That should cover it!

The only thing I've ever seen wear out on a mossberg pump is the safety, and that has only been on one gun that was probably as old as I am.

Mike did it wear out or did the plastic button break?
I only ask because I cannot figure out how one would wear out.

To the OP, replacement safeties are easy to come by.
So this would be a a non issue in the future.
Mossberg pumps are virtually indestructible. Shoot your gun and enjoy it.

I understand your concern with repair parts. I shoot competitive Trap with an old Remington 1100. I carry replacement parts / assemblies with me to all shoots. If the gun ever breaks, (Which it has) than I can repair ANYTHING in minutes.

LTB45 said:
Mike did it wear out or did the plastic button break?
I only ask because I cannot figure out how one would wear out.

The ball bearing had somehow become deformed which caused it to either stick or slip out of safe.

It was a friends gun and I repaired it for her. I will also note that it did not have the thin metal shim that normal appears there. it was an old gun and I have no way of knowing what had happened to it in the past. She only told me it used to work but she no longer trusted it because it would not stay in "safe" mode. It was an old, fixed choke 500c she has been using for many many years for deer and turkey. The gun was otherwise in excellent shape.

MikeD said:
The ball bearing had somehow become deformed which caused it to either stick or slip out of safe.

It was a friends gun and I repaired it for her. I will also note that it did not have the thin metal shim that normal appears there.

Thanks Mike.
I can see how that might happen especially without the slide plate or thin metal shim in there. That plate is what makes the click. and keeps the gun in safe or shoot mode.
I have had a safety come loose and cause the ball to move out of place. Luckily it was a 2 minute fix.

The patrs that I have run into with newer models are the cartridge stop, cartridge interruptor, and cartridge elevator as of late. I know others here have had similar issues with their SG but that doesn't mean its subsessible to all of them, could of been just a batch here and there as they were made.
But I got a spare set just in case since I have had the issue b4.

I'm sure everyone may have their own little thing go wrong at one time or another, but the 590A1 is made to last and should not have any issues what so ever. Even though I have had this minor issue with my 590, my 500 on the other hand has been flawless...

Back