• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 multi purpose?

1s1k52

I am thinking of getting an 835 turkey with the pistol grip for turkey hunting. I plan to get a stock and 28 barrel for it later down the road. If I get a breacher choke could I technically run slugs and buck shot through it? Instead dropping money on a 590 barrel?

I don't think so...The barrel itself gets narrower at the muzzle...

Ok, shows how much I know. I thought all shot gun barrels, chamber size aside, were the same and the choke is what separated it.

That's typically correct, but not with the 835.

These barrels are over-bored to 10 gauge and narrow to 12 gauge toward the muzzle...

ok dumb this down for me. So because it is an 835 with overbore it CAN or CAN'T? So what I am wanting is not completely out of the question? I don't even care if it has the breacher. I just figured if I already have a 20 inch barrel and pistol stock why not just remove the chock and get something to protect the threads to shoot buck shot or slugs through when not hunting? I just like the 835 for the 3.5 I guess I could get the 500 if that gave me what I wanted. 3.5 inch loads are a huge loss in a turkey gun IMHO though.

upon doing some more reading it sounds like a 535 is better suited for what I want? Does the over boar or lack there of make a difference?

In short, slugs are not recommended in smooth bore 835 barrels.

The over-bored barrel could allow a slug to tilt or wobble on its way to the muzzle. At the very least this would potentially cause poor accuracy, or worse the slug tilts and gets stuck in the barrel.

Buckshot is perfectly fine, although I wouldn't recommend using anything tighter than a full choke. You'll likely get a better pattern using an improved cylinder though.

You can buy a rifled slug barrel for the 835, but for optimum results on target it will be limited to slugs only. As you said, it does seem like for your purposes the 535 might be the better, more versatile option...

So the breacher choke does or does not turn the gun into a cylinder bore?. The way the description reads it seems like it does. The 535 is lighter as well. Minus the cool factor of the breacher. If the improved modified works both slugs and buck shot then thats where I may go.

What I am basically after is making the gun into a HD gun. without swapping the barrel. I have no real need for a slug barrel

If the breacher choke you're using is not any tighter than the bore, then yes it will maintain the cylinder bore diameter...

it dawned on me maybe I should provide the choke
Carlson's Tactical Breacher Choke

I have read enough about it to know it will do what I want. However, I wanted to check with people on here who maybe know more about it. Basically 25 yards and maybe a little further for all types of shot. So they have it for the 835 and 535. In fact, it is claiming the winchester model on Cabelas website fits the 500-935.

lol I am not completely dumb. I have used shotguns my whole life. I know chokes can be changed with threads etc. With the over boaring and it being an aftermarket part I just want to be damn sure.

It looks like that breacher adds length considerably so I really just need something to protect the threads and give it a cylinder type choke

Models that come with the Accu-Set chokes include an improved cylinder, modified, and full choke.

You shouldn't need to buy anything else just to cover the threads. The improved cylinder will handle slugs just fine and should give you the best results with buck...

I gotchya. The gun in question doesn't come with anything but the turkey choke. So i would just have to order one.

So is improved better for slugs than cylinder? Assuming the choke I mentioned above is a cylinder choke and I can get the improved around the same price? Seems like people get different results so it sounds like as long as i protect the threads to keep it original I can always play with slugs or buck shot and see whats best.

Thanks for the information.

The turkey choke is an extra-full, which would is little tight for slugs and steel shot.

If you do have to buy a choke for use with slugs and buck, I would suggest an improved cylinder...

I don't see that particular replacement barrel listed.

If you find the factory 835 configuration that has the barrel you want, you can simply call in and request a replacement barrel for that shotgun model number...

ha yeah that is easier said than done. Maybe one of the places carrying the combo would be nice enough to tell me. I will give that a shot.

Back